klx300, good beginner bike?

I'll echo what everyone is saying. At 5'9" and 45 years old this is the perfect bike. I mostly trail ride with my 12 year old, he's fast but dad can still hang with the KLX. Will be adding my 6 year old to the mix soon. You'll also find lots of KLX friends on this site willing to help out...

I've yet to run into a problem hill climbing unless it was rider skill needed. I went riding today and hit some SANDY steep hills and as long as i kept it pegged and the bike straight, everything was good. And yea, of course a bigger bike is going to do better... but what about bikes of the same classification and such? Cause when i ride with CR600's and such, yea, they just blow past me on straights and up hills, but it doesnt mean my bike cant do it or anything... im just not able to do it as quickly or as easyily. But who wants riding to be easy anyway...

And yea, it has a problem starting after a stall like that... but it wasnt enough for me to run out and drop $80 for a hot start. Cause like i said, today i was doing some huge hills, hills that werent even trails, just sides of a moutian and had rode non stop for an hour and a half and stalled it doing a wheelie over a stump up hill cause i almost dumped it. Got on, and about 5 kicks later i was good to go.

I've yet to run into a problem hill climbing unless it was rider skill needed. I went riding today and hit some SANDY steep hills and as long as i kept it pegged and the bike straight, everything was good. And yea, of course a bigger bike is going to do better... but what about bikes of the same classification and such? Cause when i ride with CR600's and such, yea, they just blow past me on straights and up hills, but it doesnt mean my bike cant do it or anything... im just not able to do it as quickly or as easyily. But who wants riding to be easy anyway...

And yea, it has a problem starting after a stall like that... but it wasnt enough for me to run out and drop $80 for a hot start. Cause like i said, today i was doing some huge hills, hills that werent even trails, just sides of a moutian and had rode non stop for an hour and a half and stalled it doing a wheelie over a stump up hill cause i almost dumped it. Got on, and about 5 kicks later i was good to go.

Well Sparky, I'm really glad that you like your KLX. I like mine too, but all I can say is.....you haven't ridden any big hills yet. Believe it or not, there are extreme, long hills that the KLX doesn't have enough juice to get up. And I use a trials tire, and have been riding for decades. There have been times before the hot start that I've kicked the KLX for 50 times and wanted to die before it started. I'm glad yours starts easy and you can make it to the top. ? As far as easy is concerned, I want my bike to be as killer as it can. Then I can accomplish things that I was unable to do without a better bike, but hey, that's just me. If you want more of a challenge, I'd suggest a 2001 XR200. ?

PS - what is a "CR"600??

The KLX is a great beginners bike & one that can grow with you.

I still have mine, though I am looking at stepping up to a KLX450 soon.

My 300 has evolved with me, it now has Dynojet, New muffler & header, KX forks etc. Still has enough grunt to wake me up every now & then.

As far as the seat height goes, you'll have no issues. I am a similar height to you. I have actually raised mine a little at the back to match the KX forks & still have no dramas starting the old girl.

You'll love it.

Linesy

• 2 weeks later...

PS - what is a "CR"600??

At first i thought it was a typo meaning to type xr... but then i looked it up to be sure, and its not what it was. All i know is he said it was a 600 two stroke. I obv could tell it was 2-stroke, but was un-marked so no varification on the size. But i was hauling up a trail and he was barely struggling. What may take me some thought as to how to approach a trail, he just hauled balls right threw it without question... that bike was beastly for a Honda...

• 2 weeks later...

I am 6'0 and 220(+). I bought mine used for the exact same reason, to chase my kids around (or leave them in the dust sometimes as well). I bought mine from a guy who had already changed out the springs to race techs appropriate for my weight and he had a nice Guts seat installed. He was 6'4 so the bike was adjusted too high for me but a few tweaks and it's comfortable.

The power was just right to start riding again after 10 years out, but after a couple of weeks, it was time to go moddin. These bikes respond very well to only a $200 investment (Jet kit and header) + the free mods on PlanetKLX. I am amazed how much more oomph I got with very little quite sacrificed.

Now I am totally hooked on my KLX for trails. I should note that I mostly ride flat or gently sweeping hills in OK and KS so can't speak for the big rock climbs and such. Have fun getting back to being an active kid!

• 2 weeks later...
Stock the KLX300 has 27 hp and I believe the WR has 39 or 40 .

KLX300 has 22-24.5hp from a few articles. Another article i found shows the Yamaha WR250 stock is 26-27hp.

The husky WR250 is a two stroke, which is where that 39 or 40 probably came from, but that's not what people are talking about.

Even with the extra HP, the WR250 still lacks behind the KLX in torque, in the 13's vs the 17's ft-lbs., but the WR250 can wind up to 10,200rpm vs. the KLX's 7900. Personally I don't think you need more than 18 hp anyways (XR250).