Replacement tire?

Well, with 3300+ miles, the stock Bridgestone has seen better days, so I have been shopping for a new rear tire. ?

I am curious, how many of you run a different size tire from the stock 120/90-17?

Also, I ride mainly on the road (dag-nabbit!) however, when I do get a chance to ride off-road, I ride mostly in the woods, some sand, dirt roads, logging roads, fire breaks, climb hills, to the river, creek, etc. Not much mud, but occasionally I might find a narly little mud hole to dirty myself in, as long as there is little water… bad experience years ago with my XL250R… they don’t compress water too well… ?

I have been looking, but I would like a little insight if possible. I’m also considering just putting on another Trailwing, but I think I can get one that works as well as the stocker in the woods, but better on the pavement. Anywho… any tire recommendations?

540155.jpg

if you are running street only these are pretty sweet! Bridgestone BT45

i couldn't break them loose in the twisties. 30 mph curves at 80... ? my buddy using trailwings could not keep up. :ride:

and i got about 2800 very hard miles out of them. i was lucky to see 1700mi out of the trailwings. i went with a 70 aspect ratio on the rear but i couldn't use all the tire and it sets a little low. the new 80 goes on tonight! ?

540155.jpg

if you are running street only these are pretty sweet! Bridgestone BT45

i couldn't break them loose in the twisties. 30 mph curves at 80... ? my buddy using trailwings could not keep up. :busted:

and i got about 2800 very hard miles out of them. i was lucky to see 1700mi out of the trailwings. i went with a 70 aspect ratio on the rear but i couldn't use all the tire and it sets a little low. the new 80 goes on tonight! ?

2,800 miles on a street tire? You must be doing something very wrong here....

spuddy must ride like me i also ride very agressive i have 3400 miles on my bike i have went through 2 front tires and 4 rear kenda k 760's and those miles were about 50/50 dirt roads&trails/ paved roads went to maxxis 6006 and i dont think they are going to be much better if anyone knows of a good 50/50 tire let me know like i said i am on the gas hard like the power like the sound

Actually, I would race! You should probably be running more air in the tires though if you are killing them that quickly. The tire you are running should be getting close to 10k miles under heavier machines with more power. Burnouts?

i weigh 300+ and ride like a 16y/o on crack. ?

wanna race? ?

BTW, i put a few miles on the 80 and i think it is just right!

i'm running 38psi front/40psi in the rear.

i dont do burnouts but nearly every launch is...well, a launch. ?

i tend to run at high rpms in all gears... at all times.

i have also been known to raise the front tire on occassions... ?

11k miles on an '06. i'm on my 3rd front and 6th rear tire, (4 trailwings).

i have never gotten more than 3k out of a rear tire on any of my sportbikes. i did just put on a set of metzler z6 roadtechs on the GSF and i've heard 9k is possible. if i can get 6k i'll be beside myself.

this bike is my play toy and spuddy definately plays dat! :busted:

Pirelli Scorpion S/T's front and rear.

Front standard size, rear 130 what a BLAST on the tarmac!!!!

Nuff said .

G.Luck with your choice ?

I have been considering the Scorpion S/T's, nut I'm a little concerned that they wont do well off road. Do you drive any off road Stopi? If so, how do they perform?

spuddy must ride like me i also ride very agressive i have 3400 miles on my bike i have went through 2 front tires and 4 rear kenda k 760's and those miles were about 50/50 dirt roads&trails/ paved roads went to maxxis 6006 and i dont think they are going to be much better if anyone knows of a good 50/50 tire let me know like i said i am on the gas hard like the power like the sound

Mosier, do you think the price difference between the Kenda and the maxxis is warrented?

Did the Kendas do well on pavement? I like the tread pattern on those, but the low price is making me a little cautious.

Spuddy, I had actually considered street tires, but I do ride off road when possible, and I know street tires wouldn't stop me from doing so... and street tires just wouldn't cut it in some of the places I ride in.

The defination of "worn out" varies quite a bit from rider to rider.

Well here is my definition of close to worn out...

me_scoot%20003.jpg

Is there a way to post pics without having to put it on a web site first?

Spuddy, I had actually considered street tires, but I do ride off road when possible, and I know street tires wouldn't stop me from doing so... and street tires just wouldn't cut it in some of the places I ride in.

i had the same debate however i rarely ride offroad and when i do there is very little hardpack around here. most of it is soft sand and mud and anything short of knobbies is kind of pointless. i can still take my shortcuts with the street tires and while the wings were very respectable in the twisties, the street tires own the pavement. plus i can get a few more miles out of them.

I think i might try a set of these next just to keep some dirt worthyness and see how they hold up.

g3135.jpg

Pirelli scorpion s/t

Mosier, do you think the price difference between the Kenda and the maxxis is warrented?

Did the Kendas do well on pavement? I like the tread pattern on those, but the low price is making me a little cautious.

the kendas did fine on the pavement but riding wheelies and hard on the throttle all the time got me to be a pro tire changer hell i was wondering if there were any compatitions around takes me about 15 minutes old tire off new one on and out the door other than that maxxis so far is showing better wear front likes to wash out though went from pavement to gravel the other day that woke me up kenda wouldnt have done that but the kenda was a knobbie