450 for a tall guy

I am looking at the CRF450 and the yz450f. I am 6-2 200lbs and a novice level motocross rider. I have read many threads and saw all the stuff about valves holding up and smooth motors and such. What I really want to know from those who may have riden both of the last couple of current year models is which bike is more comfortable for a taller person or if they seem to be the same.

I am your height and the first thing you will want to do is ditch the stock bars and get the cr high bend regardless of bike. All the reviews you are gonna read are based on stock settings, stock bars. The yamaha's come low height bars that will not suit your needs and the hondas are not much better either. Once you get the taller bars either bike will be fine

I am looking at the CRF450 and the yz450f. I am 6-2 200lbs and a novice level motocross rider. I have read many threads and saw all the stuff about valves holding up and smooth motors and such. What I really want to know from those who may have riden both of the last couple of current year models is which bike is more comfortable for a taller person or if they seem to be the same.

The crf fits a bigger guy better but not without some mods. The motor is stronger imo on the crf. I like the motor on the yzf 250 its great but big brother is lacking somthing. Windham pro tapers or rc high renthals and you will be feeling more comfertable. I am getting ready buy a guts tall seat, I hear great things about them and at your height you would probally benefit from one too.

The height difference between a 250F and 450F is miniscule. You can get a higher bend bars, a higher seat, and I have hear that Fast Way Lowboy Footpegs dramatically help. If you have big feet you can get extended shift/brake lever too. I am about 6 foot tall and don't have a problem with either my 250F or 450F. Ride the bike and see if it feels like you need more room on the bike then start adjusting.

At 6'-2" either bike will fit you well but you will need tall bars and seat. The KX450F has the roomiest stock rider's compartment. I'm 6'5" and run Renthal RC High bars. They are the tallest bar with little sweep and a conventional width. You'll want a tall seat also. I have the Guts Racing tall foam. It's about 1.25" taller than stock. The SDG seat is about 1/2" taller than stock and that might be all you need. I don't recommend lowboy pegs, especially if you ride on tracks that get rutted. Twisting a foot in a rut and blowing an ACL in your knee is not something you'll want to experience. Lowboy pegs increase the chances of that happening.

here... i knew i read about tall riders somewhere! http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1588754,00.html