Dirt In Upper Carb

When I opened up the top of my carb to check the needle position, I noticed the inside surfaces were coated with a thin film of dust. I cleaned it out. The bike runs fine, but I wonder where the dust is getting in? I have about 2500 miles on the bike. This happening to anyone else? Is it a major concern? Maybe some dust is normal.

I change my air filter regularly and put a bead of heavy grease around the seal.

Thanks for any input.

If you have an 07 WR did not make sure you do not have the defective air filter cage?

If not are you changing and using air filter oil. Also a small amount of grease around the filter were is seals with the airbox is a good idea.

Check the inlet tract just behind the air filter, from inside the airbox. If it is a bit dusty, it is getting through the air filter.

You also have all those breather vent tubes open to atmosphere.

Check the inlet tract just behind the air filter, from inside the airbox. If it is a bit dusty, it is getting through the air filter.

You also have all those breather vent tubes open to atmosphere.

There is a light film of fine dust on the inside of the air cleaner cavity heading towards the back of the carb. Maybe I'm not putting enough grease around the filter seal?

There is a light film of fine dust on the inside of the air cleaner cavity heading towards the back of the carb. Maybe I'm not putting enough grease around the filter seal?

How much filter oil are you putting in the air filter itself?

How much filter oil are you putting in the air filter itself?

After I clean the filter foam, I massage some 90 wieght gear oil into the foam and then wring it out.

Did you make sure you do not the defective 07 WR filter cage? Ha a hole were the filter screw goes only problem is there is not filter screw any longer

After I clean the filter foam, I massage some 90 wieght gear oil into the foam and then wring it out.

The gear oil is your whole problem. Go buy some actual foam filter oil, problem solved. You don't need to spend alot of money on oil if you don't want to. A quart of Belray is cheap and lasts a long time. That motor is not going to perform or last unless you use the correct chemicals. :thumbsup:

gear oil...are you nuts, air filter oil ONLY !!! :thumbsup:

Throw that filter away and start over...with AIR FILTER OIL !!!

gear oil...are you nuts, air filter oil ONLY !!! :thumbsup:

Throw that filter away and start over...with AIR FILTER OIL !!!

Many years ago a seasoned Yamaha/Honda mechanic told me to use the heavy gear oil and dual element filters (both elements oiled). Been using it for years on other bikes and don't remember seeing any dust inside the carbs or just inside the aircleaner cavity. After seeing this dust, I'll try some filter oil and also try to find an aftermarket gasket to make a better seal. By the way, its a very light film of very fine dust.

Many years ago a seasoned Yamaha/Honda mechanic told me to use the heavy gear oil and dual element filters (both elements oiled). Been using it for years on other bikes and don't remember seeing any dust inside the carbs or just inside the aircleaner cavity. After seeing this dust, I'll try some filter oil and also try to find an aftermarket gasket to make a better seal. By the way, its a very light film of very fine dust.

I personally wouldn't use gear oil, as trailerdune says, get some air filter oil mate.

The oil used is the issue here and it is easy to fix. Air filter oil is super tacky and catches the dirt/dust, unlike gear oil (which still does sort of work).

A bottle of air filter oil lasts a very long time. :thumbsup:

If you ride in dusty conditions, try using an oiled filterskin on the filter too. :)

old school ways are not always the best...

new bike new ways...:thumbsup:

I recently had this condition on the trail the dirt caused the throttle slide to stick open on a friends ktm ,we fixed it on the trail and the end result and cause was a stripped clamp on the intake side of the carb and it was loose causing dirt to get in.