Bmw 450

As the owner of a BMW street bike, I hope this machine outperforms the competition in some way or at least does chores around the house because you can believe it will be priced about 25% above the next most expensive dirt bike in America. It will take more than good looks to earn its rightful place in a market already crowded with excellent choices.

The interesting bit for me is that the swing arm pivot runs through the front sprocket, so you have to take the swing arm out to swap the sprocket.

A friend of mine built a custom framed bike with a similar configuration - swingarm pivot and countersprocket lined up. I was told that it wouldn't 'bite' - didn't get good traction under acceleration.

So chain will last longer with less "hookup" - doesn't sound like a good trade off to me...

jeff

have u guys seen the aprilia v twins, there sick as hell looking

The Aprilia SXV's are sweet looking bikes but you'll be sick as hell when you're presented with the maintenance/repair bills.

Gotta drop the engine to check the valves on the rear cylinder. ?

New pistons recommended at 50 hours. ?

Parts availability.

Of course these issues are no problemo if you gots the money.

The Aprilia SXV's are sweet looking bikes but you'll be sick as hell when you're presented with the maintenance/repair bills.

Gotta drop the engine to check the valves on the rear cylinder.

New pistons recommended at 50 hours.

Parts availability.

Of course these issues are no problemo if you gots the money.

I hear takes awhile to drop the motor but it doesn't take forever. Some RXV's/SXV's are problem free and don't believe the tear down hype. I hear they have changed the piston design for 08 but I heard of plenty of riders that are way over 100 hr mark without a new top end.

The BMW's sure look good though. I hope they perform as good as they look.

• 4 weeks later...

Bummer, dude ?

Well I guess this finally answers the questions about BMW buying Husky!

Thanks for the info Scotty

?

Bummer, dude ?

Well I guess this finally answers the questions about BMW buying Husky!

Thanks for the info Scotty

:busted:

Wierd that this one blurb shows up in Motciclismo and nobody else picks up on it. I call BS. Only because it is huge news at this point with the BMW 450 program well underway and those motor castings looked to be ready for production. That bike is months away from a release with their own formal anouncement and repeated articles with development staff in interviews. Big companies don't do that stuff and pull the plug. It just doesn't happen. ?

I like the idea of the sprocket and swingarm pivot lined up. I have not heard the negative traction effect; I don't believe it until I experience it or have it explained with proper logic. In this case I don't see why it would work bad, probably someone made that up.

I thought the main idea was that no matter where your swingarm was in its travel the chain slack is the same. A typical bike has to have a bunch of slack at the beginning because as it compresses, the chain uses up that slack. If you didn't provide enough slack, somethind is going to give; chain stretches or breaks, or case breaks, or sprocket. Whatever the weak link is I don't know.

You can hear your chain slapping around pretty bad in some instances like breaking bumps. I think its a good idea as long as it doesn't cause a bunch of problems in order to make it work. Maybe gain some power since you dont have to drag your chain across the swingarm plastic rub strip. This one should spin free. I suppose you should still use a guide at the rear sprocket for extra security, but with constant slack you may not actually need it.

Not much of a log crossing bike with the engine leading the way and taking the hit. Frame looks cool but needs some sort of skidplate for offroad.

Anyway, with no 250 and a seat height that looks way tall who cares about this bike anyway. I don't care if it comes over or not, I won't buy one. Another option for a crowded field of 450 bikes. I always thought Cannondale would have done better if they came out with a 250, but they tried the larger bike and it didn't work out for them. BMW has more resources and a good reputation, but I still think it will struggle.