Sign in to follow this  

air filter oil

I got a Uni air filter from the local shop. It says I'm supposed to "be sure to use Uni Foam Filter Oil for proper filtration." Do I really need that?

I have a uni and I use the spray on filter oil but you do need some kind of filter oil to put on it and don't forget to either put it around the seal or grease around the seal so no dirt gets by the filter!:thumbsup:

No it just has to be (FOAM FILTER OIL) i would suggest the belray filter oil. but you dont need that that is just so that they will make more money

You can use any air filter oil, but the Uni oil is really good. It's not tacky, it sprays on very well (although I just bought a couple of bottles instead of the spray on and will be seeing how well that applies), and it smells good. :thumbsup:

You can use any air filter oil, but the Uni oil is really good. It's not tacky, it sprays on very well (although I just bought a couple of bottles instead of the spray on and will be seeing how well that applies), and it smells good. :thumbsup:

Ha ha don't get addicted to the stuff!

I the use pj-1 kit (cleaner and oil) with both my uni filter and my stock filter. Excellent, no-hassle cleaning and pretty good, tacky, dirt trapping. You do need an oil. The old way was to use motor oil. It is better than nothing but not really tacky enough. Chainsaw bar oil would be a good substitute for filter oil if you're ever in need.

Watch out for the No Toil and the glued seams of non No Toil filters. It eats them. I lost a Twin Air that way. Fortunately it came apart while I was washing it and I did not lose an engine.

I like it too for ease of use, but after two years, my Twin Air came unglued at the seams. Evidently this is a known issue.

I have been using a Twin Air filter, and cleaning and oiling with their products with no problems. Seems to work quite well. I would like to try their biodegradable stuff and see how that works.

Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Torco filter oil is very nice. Goes on very runny and then gets very nice and tacky.

So do I need filter oil for my Uni filter, or is it just to make money from me, and something I don't really need?

Yes, use air filter oil. You can use other stuff in a pinch.

Typically, the oil and cleaner sold by the same folks that make your filter tend to ensure it lasts (survives) through many cleanings and re-oilings.

So do I need filter oil for my Uni filter, or is it just to make money from me, and something I don't really need?

Trying to get you to buy a specific brand is generally a way to take your $ (well, or give it specifically to 'them'), but foam filters of any type are really meant to be used alongside with oil- the oil helps in the actual filtering.

yes, you need oil on your filter.

Explanation: the filter foam is just something to hold the filter which is actually the oil.

Think microscopically for a minute. Air passes through the foam and is spun and swirled turbulently through it. Any heavier particles, such as dust, get slammed into the foam the way bugs hit your windsheild. In the absence of oil, these particles would just bounce back into the airstream and continue into your engine (the way rocks that hit your windsheild do). Oil is a convenient way to make your foam sticky enough to trap those dust particles so that they don't get through. Some other substances may work (glycerine, resin, cum...) but your filter was designed to use oil for the job.

Robb.... and people say I use 'off color' words.... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Watch out for the No Toil and the glued seams of non No Toil filters. It eats them. I lost a Twin Air that way. Fortunately it came apart while I was washing it and I did not lose an engine.

Agreed and FWIW I tried the No Toil product years ago and did not like the performance at all....I would find a slight coating of fine dust inside the air boot that I never had with any other off-the-shelf air filter oils. Not acceptable for me. This has been a flame topic going back 7-8 years or more, either you love the stuff or you don't.

Use the right oil for the right application i.e. use Foam filter oil for foam filters and use Gauze filter oil for gauze type air filters. The performance of each is different and tailored to that application. Any good quality foam filter oil should be very tacky. On the Foam filter side of life I use PJI, Maxima, Amsoil...basically any commercial off-the-shelf Foam filter oil; on the gauze filter side of life (all of our sand toys have K&N) I use either K&N or Amsoil's gauze filter oil.