My first XR400

Just purchased my first XR400. It's a 98 model and it cost me $1500. It has a White Brothers pipe on it but I am not sure if the head pipe is factory or not. I'm also curious what the next mod should be. It seems stronger than the stock ones I've ridden before but the only mod I'm sure of is the pipe. Any help would be apprecitated.

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

That looks nice!

Those look like stock headers.

Most likely Gordon's mods was done.

Pull the seat, the intake snorkle will be gone.

Either ask the seller or check the main and pilot jets.

Next mods.

Skid plate

Fork/disc guard

Hanguards. Ditch the funky brush guards.

If the forks are stock, the front end will feel mushy and the rear too stiff.

Stiffer fork springs around 0.42-0.43kg do wonders.

Revavle and respring both ends.

I don't know, those headers look a bit thicker than stockers.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=37634

I won't make any suggestions for mods I haven't personally done. Although I am going to be putting a Mikuni Pumper carb on when it arrives and I am going to be doing the suspension late summer or early fall.

Although, the suspension tech said for my weight and riding style (150lbs, amateur, trail) that rear spring is fine, although revalving will make a big difference. He also said to replace front springs although in his opinion putting Race Tech Gold Valves in the forks would not be noticeable for the majority of riders. Not much difference for the money.

I figure he was being truthful enough... I was going to pay him to do a complete job and now it wont be nearly as big as I planned. Although, it did guarantee that I am using his shop. Got a good reference and the guy is honest.

Also, what Air Filter is in the bike? Majority of people around here are running UNI's. Filter great and flow a lot better than stock.

Just purchased my first XR400. It's a 98 model and it cost me $1500. It has a White Brothers pipe on it but I am not sure if the head pipe is factory or not. I'm also curious what the next mod should be. It seems stronger than the stock ones I've ridden before but the only mod I'm sure of is the pipe. Any help would be apprecitated.

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

Looks like you got a pretty good deal there. That looks to me like a stock header, I'd pretty much bet on that. You should definitely toss that stock engine guard ASAP and get a real bash plate. They can be had very reasonably on ebay. Just do a search on XR400.

Check and see if the snorkel was pulled, I'm sure it was. I think suspension will be more important than motor. I found out too late that for me, the suspension was the weak spot, and not the motor. Get yourself a fork brace, they do show up on ebay now and then, and get your front forks properly sprung. You can try the revalve, but what I did with my stock forks was the free shim stack mod, which really did make rocky riding nicer. Once you get the front end happy, the back end will be more noticeable.

Also, like they said, get some real handguards, and get a disc guard. You'll be glad you did.

Then again, this assumes you start riding semi aggressively.

Enjoy your new toy, I think you did good!!!

I think the "real" handguards with the aluminum wrap around are more trouble than they are good from my experiances.

I had a close friend break his wrist when he wrecked with a set on, his hand got lodged between the gas and the bar and hit the ground, nasty break. He's still trying to get over it.

The stockers are good enough for me, they keep the brush and roost off, and no risk of my hand getting caught in them.

I had some nasty get offs today, including a run in with a 4 foot or better ditch at the crest of a hill, tore the stock grips up(which I didn't like anyways), and broke my brake lever. Along with scratching my graphics, and plastics all up. My roost guards were fine, little stress mark on one. thats it.

I thought the stock bash bar was made pretty well, besides the fact of it not being a solid piece of metal. Though I like the bars for drainage.

All opinions though.

The Mikuni pumper carb is a good mod. You can adjust the accelerator pump to engage at different throttle positions. Mine's set to engage at 1/4 throttle, otherwise the bike tends to backflip too easy.:busted:

The engine will start easier as well.?

XR'sOnly sells them ready to bolt on for $370. Tell them what engine mods you have already done and they will prejet it for you.?

Rman.....

The Mikuni pumper carb is a good mod. You can adjust the accelerator pump to engage at different throttle positions. Mine's set to engage at 1/4 throttle, otherwise the bike tends to backflip too easy.:busted:

The engine will start easier as well.?

XR'sOnly sells them ready to bolt on for $370. Tell them what engine mods you have already done and they will prejet it for you.?

Rman.....

Or Edelbrock - just to be fair here. And welcome to the club! It's a great bunch here & I've learned tons. Enjoy making your XR a semi-custom bike for you & how you ride. Many hours of fun ahead.

Cheers,

Bill

I think the "real" handguards with the aluminum wrap around are more trouble than they are good from my experiances.

I had a close friend break his wrist when he wrecked with a set on, his hand got lodged between the gas and the bar and hit the ground, nasty break. He's still trying to get over it.

The stockers are good enough for me, they keep the brush and roost off, and no risk of my hand getting caught in them.

I had some nasty get offs today, including a run in with a 4 foot or better ditch at the crest of a hill, tore the stock grips up(which I didn't like anyways), and broke my brake lever. Along with scratching my graphics, and plastics all up. My roost guards were fine, little stress mark on one. thats it.

I thought the stock bash bar was made pretty well, besides the fact of it not being a solid piece of metal. Though I like the bars for drainage.

All opinions though.

The stock engine guard is great until you hit the right protrusion. Also, it doesn't provide any protection for your oil hoses, and if you look at the bottom right of your bike, there are more than a few there to be torn. I've never had an issue with water not draining from a bash plate, and from the looks of the bottom of my bash plates, and from the looks of other bash plates I've pulled off bikes, I think they are a very worthy investment.

There's a hill at St. Joe's that my friend has named, "The mother of all hills." It is very rocky, with large rocks and many optional paths to take, each one with its own sharp rocks, some juted out, and all of them slippery and nasty. You can see, all over this hill, black tire marks, along with the occasional oil spot where someon busted their case, or tore an oil hose. Many bikes have been pushed or towed from this hill. I would not want to eat it on the "Mother" with a stock tubed engine guard that comes on an XR400.

Oh yea, I've pulled lots of those stockers off, to find them being held on by one bolt, and basically worthless because they move once the bolts break. That's why they go for 6 bucks on ebay new, and the bash plates go for 60 used.

Regarding the "real" handguards; I'm not fond of riding single track with those crappy stockers, and I've smashed my hands good with them. When I put some on my old 1999, my riding friend who has 45 years riding experience told me I just wasted my money, and to throw them away. I didn't listen, till my first good smack of a branch that was a little too thick. I'm sure that on the other hand, in the right situation, the aluminum guards could pose a different danger, I just haven't been there, and hope not to be.

It's good to hear other perspectives though.

I cant see no other way but to run a maier aluminum full hand guard set up,Ive laid my 250 down twice,and the hand guards saved my levers,and grips,as far as your friends wrist getting caught between the throttle and the hand guards,Id say it was a fluke,but man,does that sound painfull.Those metal bolts in the ends of the handle bars do save things in a crash,Id of hated to see what would of happened if they was not there on my 2nd crash,it was on the street,I got away with no damage,just a little metal ground off the bar end.