Sign in to follow this  

XR280R Homemade quiet baffle w/ pics.

Hey guys,

Just thought I would start contributing some little bits of info I have gained here(TT members rock) and help newcomers with words and pics.

Here is my first post with pics. I created and account at Photobucket.com and will post pics as often as I can.

For my first expose I would like to show you how I made a homemade baffle to quieten my DSed, fully uncorked XR280R w/TM34 carb.

I had originally made myself a tube with about 2-300 holes in it and had wrapped it with 4 stroke packing material. But after a few rides the packing almost made NO difference and the bike was as loud as before.

So tonight I was fumbling around in the garage and came across something that slipped right onto the endcap of the muffler. I made it fit so it comes off in about 2 seconds and can be re-installed in about 3 seconds. The first pic shows the end cap fully uncorked(very loud). The second shows what I used. A hole saw that fit perfectly over the inner tube and made a small hole so I can slip a clip onto it.

100_0068.jpg

The second shows the clip and the cap in place.

100_0070.jpg

100_0073.jpg

100_0074.jpg

100_0076.jpg

I might use some wire to make sure I don't lose the clip and cap on the trail. I have already gone ripping down the trail and with the cap ON, probably lose about 25% power.

The IDEA here is to be able to install the cap when I go riding on the STREET and remove the cap when I hit the dirt and need MAX power.

Thank you, :thumbsup:

Bro,:thumbsup::busted: thats what id call Jethro engineering,but hey,if it works,for what you want it to do,than your in business.We all must try to keep quieter on our bikes.If we dont want more riding areas made :thumbsup::cheers: off limits to us.

Exactly RON, I would hate to lose riding priviliges in the area because of loudness. Not only that, but when you go riding all day long it definately annoyes the snot out of your friends. I might try to make it prettier by hiding the clip a little. It will be perfect for our upcoming poleline run from Sudbury to Timmins. Here is a link to it. You can view it in Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111615952337791996165.00000113444ce8135426e&z=7

Cheers,

D1K,dam sure aint scared to get his bike muddy!!!And hes got sense enough to know we all have to respect noise limitations on public land,You sir have got my respect!!!

Great idea. I have the same problem. I want a quite bike on the street but when I go off road (I have a 250L dual sport) I want it to perform. My only thought is what do you do with the clip and hole saw when you take them out after leaving the street? They would be too hot to handle and where would you put them. What would be way cool is to make a hinge that could be locked in both the down and up position. So you could ride to your favorite off road spot, reach down and flip the silencer up and go, then when you want to return to the street, flip it back down. Hey, there may be a market for this thing...

I ran yesterday for about 45 minutes, and I removed it with just my riding gloves. It cooled off in about 10 seconds. Slide it into my little fender bag and take off. I am going to make a pretty cable to hold them together so they never leave each other, and I will find another way to use the clip so it is not left exposed like in the picture. Maybe I will use a Coupler Lock Pin instead of just the pin. Like this one,

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=1691

D1K,dam sure aint scared to get his bike muddy!!!And hes got sense enough to know we all have to respect noise limitations on public land,You sir have got my respect!!!

I ride with D1K alot, he is always MacGuyvering something, and it *usually* works :thumbsup:

His whole bike is a rolling showcase of creative thinking, downright backwoods engineering and even some bizarre monstrosities :thumbsup:

I heard the bike last night, and it's a large difference with the plug in, so to speak.