Baja Designs, an experience!

One month ago: Called BD, said I was a little confused about what I needed to do, and would like to schedule an appointment to bring in my bike for their advertised installation by on site technicians. BD: We don't schedule appointments, you have to just bring it in. Me: I live in Phoenix, and will be driving out to your place south of LA. BD: Yep, just bring it in and leave it. Me: How long will it take. BD: 1-3 days.

Yesterday: Flew to California, rented a car at Ontario airport, drove to BD in San Marcos.

Conversation in store...

Me: Explained what bike I had and what I wanted to do. Mentioned that I was having trouble with their website. Apparently, the site does not function completely with a Macintosh browser (which I used).

BD: Well, to do what you want to do, you'll have to order individual components.

Me: Okay, let's do that.

BD: You need to give me the exact part numbers of the components.

Me: I don't know the numbers. I couldn't pull that up on your website. Do you have a catalog here?

BD: No, it's still in print.

Me: Well, if I bought a whole kit would you discount me for items I don't want in it. In other words, can I buy a partial kit?

BD: No, complete kits only.

Me: OK, I'll take a complete kit.

BD: We're out of stock on kits, but we can take your order and mail you one when they arrive.

Me: I'll get back to you.

OK, a man gets this run-around, and he's not supposed to comment on it? Methinks those that are trying to censor this type of open forum commentary have ties to the offending businesses...

HE told BD of his confusion. BD told him to "We don't schedule appointments, you have to just bring it in."

When he makes the trip (from OUT OF STATE, no less) BD cannot help him locate the PARTS THEY SELL! "BD: You need to give me the exact part numbers of the components."

Huh?

No, I have a bike, and I'd like to fit it with parts YOU sell. You and I both know what components are needed, but it is NOT my job to locate YOUR part numbers.

Etc......

BD gave him a run-around. BD hasn't had a printed manual in almost a half a year? OK, so maybe they are going paperless. Does the BD guy have a computer at BD itself? Apparently not, or if he did, he put the onus on the customer to provide part numbers? BD advertises installation and tells you to "just bring it in", then they tell you they are out of parts, and do not know what parts to install? Crazy! ?

Personally, I think by someone saying something to the effect of "Hey, one bad experience is going to get amplified out of proportion." that has done much more amplification of this one experience than the original post. This was one bad experience, but I'd be firing some folks if I owned BD, and yes, I would be doing so over this ONE situation.

BD's responses were inexcusable.

OK, a man gets this run-around, and he's not supposed to comment on it? Methinks those that are trying to censor this type of open forum commentary have ties to the offending businesses...

HE told BD of his confusion. BD told him to "We don't schedule appointments, you have to just bring it in."

When he makes the trip (from OUT OF STATE, no less) BD cannot help him locate the PARTS THEY SELL! "BD: You need to give me the exact part numbers of the components."

Huh?

No, I have a bike, and I'd like to fit it with parts YOU sell. You and I both know what components are needed, but it is NOT my job to locate YOUR part numbers.

Etc......

BD gave him a run-around. BD hasn't had a printed manual in almost a half a year? OK, so maybe they are going paperless. Does the BD guy have a computer at BD itself? Apparently not, or if he did, he put the onus on the customer to provide part numbers? BD advertises installation and tells you to "just bring it in", then they tell you they are out of parts, and do not know what parts to install? Crazy! ?

Personally, I think by someone saying something to the effect of "Hey, one bad experience is going to get amplified out of proportion." that has done much more amplification of this one experience than the original post. This was one bad experience, but I'd be firing some folks if I owned BD, and yes, I would be doing so over this ONE situation.

BD's responses were inexcusable.

+1! I couldn't agree with you more if I would of typed it myself.

I have no problem with a fellow rider venting his frustration with Baja Designs or any other company. I agree this forum is a place to vent at times and maybe learn something from the replies to the venting.

This bike brother came to the conclusion that he will not buy Baja Designs product because of his experience. That is too bad because his experience is not the norm in my opinion. I have been dealing with them for years. Let me add a few of my experiences to this discussion.

1. Baja Designs always told me on the phone if the product was in stock and when they expected it if it was not. Just as they did for this unhappy brother rider. Not everyone does that.

2. If I placed the order online with Baja Designs and it turned out to be out of stock, I would receive a phone call with in the week that I ordered it telling me it was not in stock and asking me if I still wanted the part from them. Unlike many companies that lie to you about items being in stock and charge it to your credit card before they stock it or ship it.

3. I purchased an Electric Start kit for my XR650R immediately when Baja Designs introduced it. The first kit came with a dry cell battery that fit on top of the airbox under the seat. This battery was good for cranking the motor over for a minute at best and if the bike didn't start that was it. They mailed me another and did not even ask for the old one back (These batteries were retailing for $125.00 if I remember right). The new one was only a little better. When I called them they said they were aware of the problem and already were designing a traditional battery mount. In a few weeks I received by UPS a complete new traditional battery and mount kit. I didn't have to beg or pay they just took care of the problem. The starter that they designed is ugly as can be but has functioned for years without a problem.

I'm not saying they are perfect but all my dealings with them have left a good taste in my mouth. Their customer support is unrivaled in my experience and thats when it counts (after you purchase the product).

Responses from Baja Designs management are below in red:

The following post is not to throw mud at BD, but simply to show the frustration that a consumer can have with a niche business!

Four months ago: Tried to order catalog from internet. Reply: catalog still being printed, will put you on the mailing list. Never received catalog.

He is correct on this point. Our catalog is currently being redesigned. I apologize for the delay. I do want to point out that our catalog would not have helped him with what he was looking for.

One month ago: Called BD, said I was a little confused about what I needed to do, and would like to schedule an appointment to bring in my bike for their advertised installation by on site technicians. BD: We don't schedule appointments, you have to just bring it in. Me: I live in Phoenix, and will be driving out to your place south of LA. BD: Yep, just bring it in and leave it. Me: How long will it take. BD: 1-3 days. Me: Hmmm, I can't really wait around in San Marcos for three days.

We really discourage out of state customers from having us install our kits. Any competent motorcycle shop is able to install our kits. If an out of state customer DOES want us to install a kit, we ask for a 1 day notice and then they can feel free to drop off the motorcycle at their leisure.

Yesterday: Flew to California, rented a car at Ontario airport, drove to BD in San Marcos.

Conversation in store...

Me: Explained what bike I had and what I wanted to do. Mentioned that I was having trouble with their website. Apparently, the site does not function completely with a Macintosh browser (which I used).

Our store currently only supports Internet Explorer (we are working on this). The rest of our website is accessible from any browser.

BD: Well, to do what you want to do, you'll have to order individual components.

Me: Okay, let's do that.

BD: You need to give me the exact part numbers of the components.

Me: I don't know the numbers. I couldn't pull that up on your website. Do you have a catalog here?

BD: No, it's still in print.

Me: Well, if I bought a whole kit would you discount me for items I don't want in it. In other words, can I buy a partial kit?

BD: No, complete kits only.

The above is essentially the true gist of what happened. However, the rest of the facts will help you determine your opinion of the transaction. He asked to buy a Dual Sport Kit for his XR600 without a headlight, taillight or turn signals. We do not have such a kit, nor do we have the manpower to support customers that want to build their own kit. The salesperson should have offered to take his request to the tech support department. They could custom build a kit for him at our standard tech support rate of $80/hr. We sell thousands of kits per year and we try to offer a comprehensive product line to meet our customers’ needs. We unfortunately cannot be all things to all people. I understand that our kits are not inexpensive, but they are built to make installation and maintenance easy for the customer.

Me: OK, I'll take a complete kit.

BD: We're out of stock on kits, but we can take your order and mail you one when they arrive.

We were out of one of the parts that was necessary for that kit. We offered to ship it to him freight free.

Me: I'll get back to you.

Drove back to Ontario airport, flew home. (Actually, I had some other business to do in California as well, but definitely didn't need to drive to San Marcos!) Glad I didn't bring my bike in for on site installation without apppointment.

In other threads, he states that we are essentially a small office in a strip mall with 2 guys on headsets. We have a freestanding building with over 15,000 sq ft which includes office space, assembly space, service center/R&D, machine shop and warehouse. Our showroom has pictures and product display, but the bikes are in the service/R & D area. A look today of vehicles in the building includes 9 bikes, 2 quads, 1 Rhino and 1 pre-runner.

Another customer states that he misses our service center. Thank you for that. We did have a complete service center for a time, but determined that it was not profitable and did not serve the majority of our customers. We decided that our resources were better utilized elsewhere. We still have a service center that installs our product on any vehicle. This includes installation of Dual Sport Kits, race lighting, and electrical installations on motorcycles, quads, UTVs and cars.

A couple of posters noted some email problems. There is no excuse for this! If you did not get your email answered, please forward a copy to deanne@bajadesigns.com or Alan@bajadesigns.com so that we can research it and find out what the problem is.

Our company strives to give excellent customer service. If anyone feels that they are not being treated correctly, please feel free to ask for Alan or Deanne (or another supervisor).

• Like 1

you make it sound like you flew in just to go to bd which is not the case...making it out to sound like it was the case makes me and im sure other people think you are overdramamtic and your situation isnt all that bad.

BD has great products and great service in all my experiences.

you make it sound like you flew in just to go to bd which is not the case...making it out to sound like it was the case makes me and im sure other people think you are overdramamtic and your situation isnt all that bad.

BD has great products and great service in all my experiences.

Here here Kritter completely agree with you. They are a great company.

So many of the above posts are statements of "We have to be able to post bad experiences". I disagree with that.

I disagree because as many of you fail to accept, an ONLINE forum (as opposed to a live forum) provides ZERO context of the issue. I dont know you from a bar of soap yet you're free to come onto TT and dis a great company.

If you negative posters actually read my original posts you'll see where I state that yes extremely poor work should be posted about, but any less than that and I dont think it should.

What's to stop some newbie coming on and flaming BD? Nothing. Well the law atually. I thought you guys in CA would know that by now!!

The point is that posting on a forum spreads bad news to thousands - a phone call to your mate to have a whinge is only one person.

Have a think before you guys dis BD.

As I said I think you're outa line with the overall firm and your post was not warranted.

What's come about in this thread is that the guys who have been here a while are saying BD are fine. That contextual point of view is only developed over many many transactions with BD.

So drop the whinging about a great US company and move on. Drop the BS conspiracy theorys as well. I have no shares in BD but I have shared great dirt bike experiences with them.

I'll defend their reputation and status as I have spend many thousands with them and had many calls to them about my XR. They have ALWAYs been more then helpful, especially to someone so far away.

It seems the only way to shut up the whingers is to use the law.

If I were BD then I would reviewing all the negative posts here dissing them and then sending letters of shut the FU to the offenders. Litigate them so they moderate themselves. Some of you have to learn you this forum is part of the wide world and people's businesses are at risk of damage. You simply cannot just come on here and flame away a great company to all and sundry. Litigation on forums around the world is already happening so you guys should watch what you say.

Here here Kritter completely agree with you. They are a great company.

So many of the above posts are statements of "We have to be able to post bad experiences". I disagree with that.

I disagree because as many of you fail to accept, an ONLINE forum (as opposed to a live forum) provides ZERO context of the issue. I dont know you from a bar of soap yet you're free to come onto TT and dis a great company.

If you negative posters actually read my original posts you'll see where I state that yes extremely poor work should be posted about, but any less than that and I dont think it should.

What's to stop some newbie coming on and flaming BD? Nothing. Well the law atually. I thought you guys in CA would know that by now!!

The point is that posting on a forum spreads bad news to thousands - a phone call to your mate to have a whinge is only one person.

Have a think before you guys dis BD.

As I said I think you're outa line with the overall firm and your post was not warranted.

What's come about in this thread is that the guys who have been here a while are saying BD are fine. That contextual point of view is only developed over many many transactions with BD.

So drop the whinging about a great US company and move on. Drop the BS conspiracy theorys as well. I have no shares in BD but I have shared great dirt bike experiences with them.

I'll defend their reputation and status as I have spend many thousands with them and had many calls to them about my XR. They have ALWAYs been more then helpful, especially to someone so far away.

It seems the only way to shut up the whingers is to use the law.

If I were BD then I would reviewing all the negative posts here dissing them and then sending letters of shut the FU to the offenders. Litigate them so they moderate themselves. Some of you have to learn you this forum is part of the wide world and people's businesses are at risk of damage. You simply cannot just come on here and flame away a great company to all and sundry. Litigation on forums around the world is already happening so you guys should watch what you say.

wunce again, i kant understnd whut this is sayeeing............

No posting of experiences?

Offenders?

Litigate?

Sending letters?

Shut up?

&%$#@!, is this the Taliban ruling these great United States now?

Dunno about others, but I have rights under the US Constitution, one of which grants me freedom of speech/expression. Anything written in such a thread as this, even if it was along the lines of "Company XYZ sucks!" or "Company XYZ screwed me!" or "Don't do business with Company XYZ"---it's all under free speech.

Especially free speech on the Internet. Fairly unbridled commentary, including commentary that may be potentially highly destructive, is free and clear. The US Supreme Court recognizes that an opinion is protected by US law.

Offenders?

Litigate?

Sending letters?

Shut up?

Dunno about others, but I have rights under the US Constitution, one of which grants me freedom of speech/expression. Anything written in such a thread as this, even if it was along the lines of "Company XYZ sucks!" or "Company XYZ screwed me!" or "Don't do business with Company XYZ"---it's all under free speech.

Especially free speech on the Internet. Fairly unbridled commentary, including commentary that may be potentially highly destructive, is free and clear. The US Supreme Court recognizes that an opinion is protected by US law.

Taliban?? NO, red california!!!!!!!!

Offenders?

Litigate?

Sending letters?

Shut up?

Dude wake up. Free speech is not slandering companies.

The US courts recognise 1) defamation laws and 2) slander laws.

Online or not doesn't not matter. You cannot slander people full stop.

If you dont beleive me take a look round the net.

Companies are starting to sue people (and win) who make over the top remarks about their company - especially in a forum where you seem to think you're in a vacuum.

The law is slowly catching up with the internet and you'll be litigated if you make over the top remarks of a derogatory nature.

I dont care if you dont believe. But dont sprout free speech BS to me when it is slander and defamation we are talking about.

Dude wake up. Free speech is not slandering companies.

The US courts recognise 1) defamation laws and 2) slander laws.

Online or not doesn't not matter. You cannot slander people full stop.

If you dont beleive me take a look round the net.

Companies are starting to sue people (and win) who make over the top remarks about their company - especially in a forum where you seem to think you're in a vacuum.

The law is slowly catching up with the internet and you'll be litigated if you make over the top remarks of a derogatory nature.

I dont care if you dont believe. But dont sprout free speech BS to me when it is slander and defamation we are talking about.

Freedom of speech is the concept of being able to speak freely without censorship. It is often regarded as an integral concept in modern liberal democracies. The right to freedom of speech is guaranteed under international law through numerous human rights instruments, notably under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, although implementation remains lacking in many countries. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes preferred, since the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

?