Stripped the 10mm allen key fitting on aluminum coverplate on XR600

Hi There,

I tried to take off the aluminum cover (the ~1.5" round disc) to gain access to the crankcase bolt for a shim adjustment. The cover wouldn't budge and my 10mm allen key stripped the aluminum socket.

Is there a recommended way to remove this disc after its damaged like this?

Is there a way to prevent this disc from seizing up?

Mike

Were you using an actual allen driver for a ratchet, or the L shaped allen key? Sears sells a nice metric allen driver set for 3/8th drive that in the future makes them easier. I routinely strip allen heads when I ty to use L shaped allen wrenches.

I have had success with using a dremel tool and a cutoff disc to cut a slot into the part. Then use a big flat blade screwdriver or some other flat metal piece to unscrew it.

I no longer do the job this way. I just use the kick starter to turn the engine and I don't even really put it at TDC. I just eye the cam and make sure that the lobe is pointing the other way when I check the clearance.

I have had success with using a dremel tool and a cutoff disc to cut a slot into the part. Then use a big flat blade screwdriver or some other flat metal piece to unscrew it.

This works very well. I have successfully used an impact driver with a wide flat blade bit to remove the damaged cap. The impact driver works well with the proper size allen insert to remove a really tight non-damaged cap, tap lightly. When you reinstall the cap, put some anti-sieze on the threads and the O-ring and use very little torque when tightening and next time it will come right out.

I've used a punch on the outer edge to rotate the plug on a DR650. Hold the punch at about a 30 degree angle and tap it until it creates an indentation to work with and then tap it counter-clockwise until it releases.

Could a person drill two small opposed holes toward the outside of the little cover & use a spaner type wrench? I know I put my cover in only slightly snug, since my buddy had to chisel his out. Put a dab of marking paint or fingernail polish on seam or parting crack to check for it loosening while riding.