How do you get bearings out of swingarm???

I greased my swingarm yesterday but I wasn't sure how you get the bearings out. All I did instead was clean it the best I could and shove a buttload of white lithium grease all over. What is the trick to getting them dislodged, and for that matter, put back in? Also, do you have to get new seals?

Here is a grease question. The book calls for Molybdenium Grease (SP)? I used white lithium grease. What is the difference and does it matter?

I don't think white lithium grease will cut it, it's too light and not up to the job me thinks. Moly grease is what you need, it's used in stuff like car outer CV joints and places where a high load is placed. You know the cardboard tubes of grease that you put in a grease gun? You can get one of those in Moly, just read the label. It'll be a thick black grease. No, you shouldn't need to replace any seals. I don't know what you mean by "remove the bearings" if you're talking about the ones pressed into the swingarm you shouldn't have to remove them, just push grease into the rollers with your finger ?

------------------

'99 WR400

'92 GSXR 7/11

Visit my photo album at your own risk! http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=45608

MotoGreg is right, you need the moly stuff. You can get it at any autoparts store, I bought a can at the local Chiefs store for about $3.

Chris

USE MOLY GREASE. I use a Honda moly grease which is 60% moly and specially formulated for the intense pressure experienced by these bearing components. I comes in the smaller size tubes for use in the small grease guns. You can just open it up and use it like any other grease. Only use moly in this application.. the other grease types will not stand up and cause premature bearing/race/sleave failure. You really need at least 60% moly and its hard to find thats why I went with the HONDA preformulated stuff. A tube lasts a long time. In a pinch you can mix anti sieze compound with a good wheel bearing grease but not as good as MOLY.

I though I posted a reply earlier must have messed it up

Clark

• 6 years later...
I greased my swingarm yesterday but I wasn't sure how you get the bearings out. All I did instead was clean it the best I could and shove a buttload of white lithium grease all over. What is the trick to getting them dislodged, and for that matter, put back in? Also, do you have to get new seals?

Here is a grease question. The book calls for Molybdenium Grease (SP)? I used white lithium grease. What is the difference and does it matter?

You talking about all the needle bearings.

I get a small screw driver and pry one needle bearing out and the rest fall out. I catch them in a bucket. I clean them up real good as well as the race with contact cleaner.

I would never repack with out cleaning first!!!!!! :excuseme:

The trick to get them back in is to rub a little bit of grease around the race, then put the needle bearings back in one by one. They stick to the grease! Pack some more grease in and move em around to get the air out.

You only need new seals if the old ones are damaged. If they have bits of lip missing, replace them.

The difference between lith and moly is you will have to repack the bearings a lot more regular. The moly is far more waterproof and lasts way better.