Sign in to follow this  

Fired UP

I took the right side shrouds off tonight to clean my bike after riding. First time off, brand new leftover '06 I just bought a couple weeks ago and only three rides on it.

Anyway, The god dang 8mm bolt up by the seat just started spinning like it was stripped or cross threaded. I had to cut the g-damn plastic out around the bolt to get it off which just began my blood boiling:mad: . I figured as I was going that the female side of the mount was spinning in its molded seat in the tank....yep, I was right. Couldn't Honda figured out a better way to do this? What really pisses me off is why in God's name would the dealer have torqued those little bolts so tight?

Anybody had this happen? What did you do with it? Did you get it out or have to get a new tank??? God I don't want to buy a new tank...

I'll try it again in the morning...I got sick of farting with it. I lathered it up with some PB blaster to sit overnight....hopefully it helps a bit. I whacked that son of a B with everything short of a sledge hammer and she wasnt budging. No biggie, I just don't want the plastic rattling at speed....I can''t see any other obvious issues arising from it....

I just bought a left-over new '06 as well. Yesterday I went through the bike and found the shroud to tank bolts were way too tight and one wouldn't come out and just spins the nut insert like you said. I promptly called the dealer and he told me to bring the bike back today which I'm going to do in a couple hours.

wow, thats funny. My bolt rattled loose on my 450 and the seat eventually ripped the bolt from the threads. I had to order a new bolt and then JB weld it back in. It works but the seat is a little loose where it mates to the tank. It was the only bolt that I never checked before I rode it for the first time...go figure.

oh yeah.... this is funny......on my 03 i had a shroud bolt bolt stuck in the tank and the brass insert was spinning whie i tried to remove the bolt...... i even stuck a screwdriver in there to try to get the insert to not spin with no avail.....well all these years i have been just taking the two bolts out by the seat to take the tank off.....then one day i decided to try to loosen that stuck bolt in that spinning insert and with no effort like it was nothing....that son of a bi$#@ came out......&%$#@!!!!!!!