Sign in to follow this  

2004 Dr-z125 $400?

I was just wondering about common problems with this bike? They claim it was running last year and now it won't start. For $400 or less would this be worth putting a little cash into to get going as a step up for my son?

I'm guessing you mean that someone has a DRZ that wont start and they want to sell it to you for $400 dollars or less...i would buy it and maybe they just forgot to put in gas...! lol.

These bikes dont have very many real problems (other than soft suspension and a need to bore the motor)

Give us some more details

Well I got in touch of the person selling it, she said that the plastic is off and damaged, the exhaust is off and cracked, and the handle bars are bent. Oh and it's not that it doesn't run, they just haven't tried starting it this year. Her son also got hurt riding a four wheeler so he can't ride anything and I'm guessing he didn't take real good care of the bike and mom wants it gone.

lol sound like it is a POS, dont buy it! get a cheap used one, they oftenly go for about $1200...my buddy just bought one.

Go check it out, might be worth it you never know. Also might be good for parts if its really that bad. Its a 2004 right?? Then later pick up a used one that running and you have lots of spare parts to work with.

a 2004 for 400? that is a deal. get some new plastic, and some bars, I"ll bet it just needs the jets cleaned. all the broken stuff that you mentioned is all the stuff you break anyway. 2004? i'd buy that in a second.

Well I just got back from looking at the bike and this is what I found.

#1 It's a DR-Z125l not a DR-Z125 so bigger tires and front disc anything else?

#2 All the plastic looks good just scratched and some of it's removed.

#3 The cover for the front sprocket is gone.

#4 The swing arm is twisted.

#5 The handle bars are bent.

#6 It really is a 2004 I didn't think it would be.

#7 There is a crack where the header pipe goes into the muffler.

#8 I leaned the bike to the side and didn't see any oil in the window. Is that bad or is it normal because you're supposed to run it to check the oil. Or because it's hasn't ran for almost nine months.

Is their a place online I can find parts I haven't been to lucky finding a swing arm even an aftermarket one but I don't know where to look. Or should I just price OEM from the dealer?

there is only OEM swingarms, no aftermarket...and your supposed to check the oil cold, no oil=BAD!

the engine is probably blown if there was no oil in the window....i wouln't bother unless they give it to you for like 200 dollars... all its worth

I'd check it out again and pull the drain plug, see if ANY oil comes out.

Its a 2004, sounds like it was just driven to the point of CRASHED

too much and stored. If there's any oil at all in there still, and you change oil and fix everything up now, it should still probably be good.

I still think its worth $400. Probably just needs swingarm, handlebars, weld muffler pipe crack, change oil.

I bet the swing arm is twisted from jumping so check the frame. I bet the frame pulled the motor apart and all the oil drained out because the the motor is a stressed member. Make sure you check that.

Mate, the bike sounds like a crock of sh*t. It sounds like the kind of thing that may not be an economical proposition even if it was free. Anyone who can do that much damage to a bike without fixing any of it on the way, will not have maintained anything nicely. So assume the worst at just about every juncture. What you can see now maybe just the tip of the iceberg!

If you really are masocistic enough to go ahead then you could replace the swingarm with an RM100/KX100/KX85BW swingarm and shock which is a nice upgrade. See Dr_DRZ posting on RM100 conversion for all the gory details.

Good luck .. sounds like you're going to need it! :thumbsup:

Yea i'm thinking it's a lost cause I really didn't expect to save any money but just thought it could be a nice project but no friggin oil. I guess the kid drained it for some reason or the case separated from the swing arm getting bent, which is probably more likely the case.

the only thing that can help that bike now is a pull and set....

:thumbsup:

pull it out to the middle of the road, and set it on fire:thumbsup:

the only thing that can help that bike now is a pull and set....

:thumbsup:

pull it out to the middle of the road, and set it on fire:thumbsup:

i 2nd that motion:busted: