Hour meter for 2007 250F

I was just at my local shop and they told me that the hour meters

don't work on the '07's because the coil is in the cap for the plug?

Anyone have on that works on their bike?

I have a hour meter that says yamaha on it and it works just fine. Wrapped it around the wire coming into the cap along with the cap it self.

I'm not sure if I would trust a shop that told me something like it won't work. I have used the hour meter on my 06 and 07. You must wrap the wire around the coil itself. That's the cap part of the spark plug holder. Wrap you wire around it several times and then secure it with the zip tye.

why wouldnt it work every bike has a coil so it should work and i have one on my 07

why wouldnt it work every bike has a coil so it should work and i have one on my 07

The hour meter must be instaled at or beyond the coil. A coil is a mini transformer that steps up the voltage. There isn't enough voltage running though the wires that lead into the coil to operate the hour meter.

I'm sure there are other members that are a lot smarter then I am, maybe somone else can give us all a better explanation.

mine works fine it took a few tries.I think i wrapped it around 3 times and then zip-tied it back to itself.......

The hour meter must be instaled at or beyond the coil. A coil is a mini transformer that steps up the voltage. There isn't enough voltage running though the wires that lead into the coil to operate the hour meter.

I'm sure there are other members that are a lot smarter then I am, maybe somone else can give us all a better explanation.

Actuly you're wrong.. It maybe installed before the coil. Mine is on the two lead wires going to the stick-coil. These hour meters are super sensitive to ocilating voltage. it's not sensitive to the amount of voltage/amps so as long as its on any part of the ignition wiring it will work so long as it's after the cdi. Also I'm not telling you to wrap the hour meter around the bunch of wire coming from the cdi either.. you need the two leads to the coil plug only.

Good luck..

The guy at the shop told me the coil was in the cap that goes on the

spark plug? Is that true? If so that would mean it would be hard to

sense the pulses for the hour meter. Anyway, that's why I'm asking this

question and if anyone has any pictures that can show me what to do would

be great!

here is how i mounted it.

works perfect on my 07.

hourmeter1.jpg

hourmeter2.jpg

mine wouldnt work worth a crap wrapped that way.But that being said it did quit working and i had found that the wire were it goes into the meter wasn't jammed all the way in like it should.Make sure you really force that thing all the way into the bottom ,past the 2 bumps.Now it works great and probly would have were ever i wrapped it.

i like the duct tape on the clutch cover

Factory, good for re sale anyway

That's all you do? Just wrap it around the plug wire?:thumbsup:

That's all you do? Just wrap it around the plug wire?:thumbsup:

yup:thumbsup:

My friend was going on about this to me how he couldn't fit an hour meter to his 07. I was trying to tell him look every bike has to have a wire going from the CDI to the plug cap right? Well that's what you wrap it aorund to sense the pluses. Coil/HT lead plug caps have been around ever since 250F 4 strokes came out. BTW wrapping duct tape on your clutch and ignition cvoer is a cool idea to keep them from gettin all beat up and nasty lookin, or you can go get the Lightspeed Performance, carbon skins to go over the top of them.

Who has any info on where I can look into a hour meter? Since my son races, this would be good to moniter the hours so we know exactly when to check the valve clearance.

I got mine at sears .Its like $30 it is the same one as several others only they slap there name on it and add $5-$10..........You find it in the lawnmower asessories area

Thanks!