Sign in to follow this  

Rim lock...Needed?

This is the second tube thats ripped on me at the valve stem on the front tire. When I bought the bike it had no rim lock on it. I never put one on because I didnt think I needed it...but about 2 months later..it ripped again.

Now I want to buy one but first Id just like to know...

A. What it exactly does because I dont see how it would solve my problem.

B. I have a 80/100-21 Front Tire...they sell rim locks in 3 different sizes...like 1.60, 1.85, 2.10...Is that the width on the actual screw part or is that the length?

C. Will the 5 dollar one on Motosport work just as well as the 15 dollar one?

Thanks

Liberally coat your tube with baby powder before installing in the tire. It helps the tube slide if the tire spins. If I read you right, that sounds like your problem. What bike is this on?

I picked one up at my local dealer for about $8. I believe it was OEM.

When running very low psi's (10-14) you really do need it. The rim will spin on the tire otherwise. You can run higher tire pressure (maybe 30?) but then sacraficing traction. I would get it, and the motosport one works fine i believe.

I would use one. With all the traction you have when braking with the front, and all the braking power that you have, it is inevitable that you will spin the tire on the rim. The bead lock solves that problem.

torch

Liberally coat your tube with baby powder before installing in the tire. It helps the tube slide if the tire spins. If I read you right, that sounds like your problem. What bike is this on?

I picked one up at my local dealer for about $8. I believe it was OEM.

I like the baby powder idea. I've done it to tubes before, but not for that reason. I did it on the tubes in the slicks on my drag car, to keep the tube from having wrinkles in it after you inflate it.

Nice to learn a new use for an old trick!

torch

When running very low psi's (10-14) you really do need it. The rim will spin on the tire otherwise. You can run higher tire pressure (maybe 30?) but then sacraficing traction. I would get it, and the motosport one works fine i believe.

ok thats bass ackwords. The rim lock keeps your tire from spinning on the rim. If your tire moves on the rim then your tube inside the tire tends to move with it. So when you get on the pipe the extreme forces at work from the rim spinning the tire and the tire trying not to move because it is hooking up on the ground you end up spinning the rim on the tire bead, if you dont have a bead lock. The bead lock presses the bead of the tire into the seating area of the rim and holds it from spinning. If after you have installed the rim lock and you are still pulling out stems then an old enduro trick(which I use today) is to put your valve cap onto the stem then spin the stem lock nut up to the bottom of your cap so that the stem can pull into the rim if the tube slips alittle in the tire.

So, looks like Ill buy one then. Can anyone answer what size I need? 1.60, 1.85, 2.10?

You will use a 1.60 for the front.

Dave

ok thats bass ackwords. The rim lock keeps your tire from spinning on the rim. If your tire moves on the rim then your tube inside the tire tends to move with it. So when you get on the pipe the extreme forces at work from the rim spinning the tire and the tire trying not to move because it is hooking up on the ground you end up spinning the rim on the tire bead, if you dont have a bead lock. The bead lock presses the bead of the tire into the seating area of the rim and holds it from spinning. If after you have installed the rim lock and you are still pulling out stems then an old enduro trick(which I use today) is to put your valve cap onto the stem then spin the stem lock nut up to the bottom of your cap so that the stem can pull into the rim if the tube slips alittle in the tire.

I like the valve stem trick. Go Canucks Go 👍