Future DR... Have any of you seen this article. I havent seen it mentioned yet?

5312007141815.jpg

Suzuki SV1000SM

Is Suzuki building a great big supermotard?

By Gabe Ets-Hokin

June 2007

We recently received an interesting email from a CW reader. It seems he has a friend who works somewhere deep in the bowels of the automotive industry, and on a recent trip to Japan found himself in a Suzuki R&D facility, maybe where he shouldn’t have been. From a distance, he spotted what he was “sure” was an SV1000 engine and chassis with DR-Z400SM-like bodywork, wheels and suspension. The reader provided us with this cleverly Photoshopped illustration.

DRZ400SM_InText

It's slow compared to its twin-cylinder competition, but the sweet-handling DR-Z400SM was the first turnkey Supermoto from a Japanese OEM in the U.S. market. Let's hope it's not the last!

Of course, we urge you to take this with a grain of salt: Suzuki told us they had “no idea” what we were talking about, which is different than saying “we can neither confirm nor deny” by a wide margin. We also have no other information about such a project. But it would make sense if Suzuki is playing around with something along these lines; big motards like the Ducati Hypermotard, KTM 950SM and BMW HP2 Megamoto are taking off in Europe and starting to get a lot of attention here in the States.

You can count on us telling you more about such a Suzuki if it is indeed a model intended for consumers and not just a pet project of some wonderfully demented engineers. Until then, we’ve prepared a small gallery of current motard

I believe I read somewhere Suzuki Inc. was having its annual dealer show this weekend somewhere in the US. and that it may have several additions to its model lineup. I hope the DR650 will be modernized and enhanced with the latest technology in order to keep the model relevant for another 20 years.

I don't know what to make of that SV concept. Part of me loves the idea of the big V liter twin but at least as big a part says "LORDY THAT WOULD BE SO HEAVY! ! ! !".

At this point the HEAVY warning is winning out. I'm still thinking that motard'y bikes need to be at least reasonably light and flickable and I just can't see a big SV bike being any of that. But I suppose as a sort of competition to the big Beemer HP1 that this could fly. But is the market group for this sort of bike big enough?

Now if they did something more like a Z1000/FZ1 streetfighter with the liter SV I'd be all over that one! The old SV1000 was still way too much racer and not enough situp fighter.

5312007141815.jpg

Suzuki SV1000SM

By Gabe Ets-Hokin

June 2007

We recently received an interesting email from a CW reader. It seems he has a friend who works somewhere deep in the bowels of the automotive industry, and on a recent trip to Japan found himself in a Suzuki R&D facility, maybe where he shouldn’t have been. From a distance, he spotted what he was “sure” was an SV1000 engine and chassis with DR-Z400SM-like bodywork, wheels and suspension. The reader provided us with this cleverly Photoshopped illustration.

DRZ400SM_InText

It's slow compared to its twin-cylinder competition, but the sweet-handling DR-Z400SM was the first turnkey Supermoto from a Japanese OEM in the U.S. market. Let's hope it's not the last!

Of course, we urge you to take this with a grain of salt: Suzuki told us they had “no idea” what we were talking about, which is different than saying “we can neither confirm nor deny” by a wide margin. We also have no other information about such a project. But it would make sense if Suzuki is playing around with something along these lines; big motards like the Ducati Hypermotard, KTM 950SM and BMW HP2 Megamoto are taking off in Europe and starting to get a lot of attention here in the States.

You can count on us telling you more about such a Suzuki if it is indeed a model intended for consumers and not just a pet project of some wonderfully demented engineers. Until then, we’ve prepared a small gallery of current motard

very poor photo shop attempt

5312007141815.jpg

Suzuki SV1000SM

By Gabe Ets-Hokin

June 2007

DRZ400SM_InText

Thats the WORST PHOTOSHOP job I've seen in a long time. You can't seriously entertain the idea that thats a real picture can you??!!

So far we have the new Hayabusa, the B-King, and the new RMZ450 fuel injected MX bike. No word on the DR as of yet.....

I keep checking the sites for new info. Where are you getting your info from?