Colordo Question.....mnt Elbert

Not likely...that's Wilderness area...with a Capital W.

Try Mt. Antero. Ride over Tincup Pass to St. Elmo then up the W side of Antero. Mt. Bross near Hoosier Pass has a bunch of mining roads. Although they might be closed now because of private property. Mosquito Pass is over 13,000.

I just got back from that area. I rode up the south side of Elbert. The road starts right by Twin Lakes Reservoir Sorry dont know the road number. I think it is a great jeep or 4 wheeler trail and enjoyed it very much on my scooter. I only got up to about 12500 cause I took a left fork at a semi marked fork (no map) and think I should have taken a right fork. Will still probably get stopped by snow for weeks to come up around 13500 feet or less. Given I am not the expert on the area. If you like a good jeep trail to a high peak try Antero just down the road. Try to do it on a clear day in August when the snow is melted and you will be treated to one of the most spectacular views in the North America. Antero is 14269, but you have to walk the last 600 or so feet. I would also like to know if there are any other fourteeners that have OHV trails close to the summit. I do think there has been enough snow this year that the window for summits will be very short.

Pearl Pass between CB and Aspen is a high 13'er, Imogene in the San Juans is a 13'er, in fact there are a bunch of 13'ers you can ride over in the San Juans. My gps has never logged a higher peak than Antero though. Tomichi and Hancock are also in that area.

Thanks for the input Gee. Yes I have done Imogene and Engineer and Pearl and Hancock. Think I have been close to Tomichi or at least it sounds familiar. Googled up Mt. Elbert last night and was a little surprised at the way people thought it was kind of easy. Nothin about walkin OR riding thru snow seems easy to me! Got my TOPOZONE program out and checked the trail I took from the trailhead to where I came to a fork and definetly could see where I went wrong. The fork I took ended at an old mine and topozone said it was right at 12500 feet, so I was still almost 2000 feet below the summit. Its still a thrill for a flatlander like me to get up even that high.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/timvv50/June07Colorado087.jpg

This is a pic of where I got too. This was just a quick side trip for me that day as my main emphasis was to meet some people and fish that smaller lake on the left called Forebar. Good fishing!!!

Thanks guys. Ive been to the area around Del Norte. Just south of there we went to Bennett peak 13200....i think, great view and great trail getting there. Went north of Del norte to Monte vista, lots more rock on those trails...but fun. We will be going to the Taylor lake and riding that area. Last year we rode a trail from taylor lake to Aspen. That was alot of fun. This year when we go we thought we would take a day and trailer to the trail head of mt elbert and try that, but i didnt know if it was open to dirt bikes. Be neat to say i made it to 14000+ .

Motorjock, I live in Salida, CO (just south of Buena Vista and Taylor Park). I agree with No2tracks, Mt Antero is a great ride. It is twin track all the way to 13,800 then you park and hike up to 14K. The trail up Antero is a rocky shelf road that has great views. I don't think Mt Elbert is legal for motorized vehicles, but I could be wrong. Near Alma, CO is Mt Bross (14,172); you can ride all the way to the top. It has a large dome top of about 200 yards wide. Definitely good views. Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Alma is the highest pass road in the US at 13,186. You need to be street legal for it. Agree that from Taylor, a good ride would be over Tincup to St Elmo, then up Mt Antero. It will get your attention. Start early and try to be off the summit by 2PM, that's when the thunder storm hits the divide. BTW, Tincup is presently closed due to a snow bank but should opened in a couple of weeks. BD

BobD, are you sure you need to be street legal to go over Mosquito Pass? I did it a couple years ago and it's OHV trails.

I'd also suggest riding Webster Pass/Red Cone if you're heading out there from OK. You can pick it up near Keystone or 13 miles past Bailey off of 285. Red Cone is almost 13,000' and it's awesome.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v218/sjriott/Red%20Cone/?action=view&current=RedConeLookingatWebster.jpg

No, you cannot ride to the top of Mount Elbert, but if one of the easiest peaks to "bag". There are three routes to the top, the south being the least taxing.

Mount Elbert is not in the Mount Massive Wilderness Area. That is about one mile north of the summit.

There are very few 14'ers that have vehicle access to the top. Blanca Peak (14,345') used to be open, but there are private property issues. I'm not sure of it's current status.

Thanks guys. Ive been to the area around Del Norte. Just south of there we went to Bennett peak 13200....i think, great view and great trail getting there. Went north of Del norte to Monte vista, lots more rock on those trails...but fun. We will be going to the Taylor lake and riding that area. Last year we rode a trail from taylor lake to Aspen. That was alot of fun. This year when we go we thought we would take a day and trailer to the trail head of mt elbert and try that, but i didnt know if it was open to dirt bikes. Be neat to say i made it to 14000+ .

Most of the Colorado 14ers peaks are not access by moto or the mt bike. we need keep that way as is. There is good reason. If you want to go all the way to the top...please do so with your feet.

Pikes Peak you can ride up all the way to the summit but you'll need to have a license Plate on your bike.

Motorjock, I live in Salida, CO (just south of Buena Vista and Taylor Park). I agree with No2tracks, Mt Antero is a great ride. It is twin track all the way to 13,800 then you park and hike up to 14K. The trail up Antero is a rocky shelf road that has great views. I don't think Mt Elbert is legal for motorized vehicles, but I could be wrong. Near Alma, CO is Mt Bross (14,172); you can ride all the way to the top. It has a large dome top of about 200 yards wide. Definitely good views. Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Alma is the highest pass road in the US at 13,186. You need to be street legal for it. Agree that from Taylor, a good ride would be over Tincup to St Elmo, then up Mt Antero. It will get your attention. Start early and try to be off the summit by 2PM, that's when the thunder storm hits the divide. BTW, Tincup is presently closed due to a snow bank but should opened in a couple of weeks. BD

Mt. Bross is not accessble, either by foot or moto any longer this time, because due to land onwership isuess.

BobD, are you sure you need to be street legal to go over Mosquito Pass? I did it a couple years ago and it's OHV trails.

I'd also suggest riding Webster Pass/Red Cone if you're heading out there from OK. You can pick it up near Keystone or 13 miles past Bailey off of 285. Red Cone is almost 13,000' and it's awesome.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v218/sjriott/Red%20Cone/?action=view&current=RedConeLookingatWebster.jpg

There no need plated if you are riding from CR 438 which near by Diamond Mine, but if you are riding from the town of Leadvill you do need bike plated.

No, you cannot ride to the top of Mount Elbert, but if one of the easiest peaks to "bag". There are three routes to the top, the south being the least taxing.

Mount Elbert is not in the Mount Massive Wilderness Area. That is about one mile north of the summit.

There are very few 14'ers that have vehicle access to the top. Blanca Peak (14,345') used to be open, but there are private property issues. I'm not sure of it's current status.

There 5 trails you can access Mt. Elbert. From South Half moon trailhead, North, Mt, Massive traildhead, Black Cloud trailhead, Echo Canyou trailhead and South Mt, Elbert trailhead, but none of these trails are open to motorcycle or atv to the summit.

I went up a trail marked South Mt. Elbert Summit Trail. And at the trailhead there is the usual FS sign theat showed what was allowed on the trail. 4x4s 4 wheelers and motorcycles were all included. I did not make it to the top and there may have been a point further up to stop motorized vehicles but I made it to 12500.