whats moab???

Moab Utah is a great place to ride, I guess, since I wasn't able to go for the trip.

Some of the guys who frequent this site had semi-organized a ride. Riders came from all over the country to take part in this event and there are others who are very jealous... me for one.

This or something similar will happen again.....stay tuned!

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

What you mean its just somewhere you go and ride. Isn't there a race or enduro???

Have I got a false ipression, I thought everyone in the USA went to watch! It's just blokes from this site going for a ride in moab where ever that is. I can't tell you how disapointed I am.

Sam in muddy England

Moab Utah is a recreational meca for dirt bikers, mountain bikers, jeepers, etc.

The terrain is really unique and quite beautiful. It consists of whats known as "Slickrock" which is actually the consistency of sandpaper. There are sand dunes, natural arches, mountain views, mesas, ledges, and more on every turn.

If you would like to see it on film, watch the scene where Thelma and Louise fly off the cliff, or the opening free hand rock climbing scene in Mission Impossible 2...yep, both filmed in Moab, Utah.

Look on a map of southeast Utah, just north of Monticello.

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 10-13-2000).]

Sam,

You've probably seen pictures of the Grand Canyon in Arizona. The Canyonlands area of southeastern Utah is very similar. Deep canyons, buttes, arches and chimneys cut out of red rock.

The town of Moab sits at the junction of the Colorado and the Green rivers where thousands of years of deposits have created a green oasis in an otherwise red rock desert. The name Moab comes from the Old Testament, I believe. Erik or Polo will know better, but it was my understanding that it was a spot between earth and heaven - similar to purgatory heading the other direction (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys).

Today it's known as a Mecca for Mountain Bikers. They come from all over the world to ride what used to be motorcycle trails. It’s also known for 4x4 off-road trails of unbelievable difficulty!

We like to ride out there for the scenery and because it is a very motorsports-friendly town. We had 20-30 bikes last weekend just buzzing though town and no one really cares. That's odd for our part of the world.

Wish you could have made it. I have to imagine there’s noting like it in Great Britton.

Jake

Oops, I stand corrected!

Originally posted by Jake:

The name Moab comes from the Old Testament, I believe. Erik or Polo will know better, but it was my understanding that it was a spot between earth and heaven - similar to purgatory heading the other direction (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys).

I've been corrected:

Moab was just a city/state in the old testament! It was generally a region of non-believers, but also the birthplace of Ruth.

Sorry I miss-spoke guys. Hope I didn't offend anyone with my lack of knowledge.

Jake