Sign in to follow this  

Was thinking supermoto for around town...

Well, I've decided to get my street license, and was thinking about buying a supermoto bike over...well, an SV650 Standard for example. Then I started looking and it seems I can actually get an SV for cheaper and easier to find, quite a bit cheaper and easier. Am I looking in the wrong places? Where the heck do I find a lot of listings for street legal supermotos for sale? In CA only, by the way.

Thanks for any tips!!!

I'm looking for a used bike, not looking to finance anything new.

A super moto for around town is sweet. That is where the SM lives. Try eBay, cycletrader, TT, SMJ, craigs list for used bikes. I see them all the time . I watch and bid/offer low because I have one so I have nothing to loose.

buy a dr350, can be found for around 1000$. Get a front gs500 rim, put an 18 back and 17 front. Only run you about 1200$ and have a nice cheap tard. Sure it wont win races, but for putting around its not bad.

Thanks guys, I'll check those suggestions out! I have checked cycle trader, but didn't find much there. I have never heard of a DR 350, but will check that out. And if that thing seems to have any sort of good power and reliability, it might be the way to go since I am looking to spend less than $3K.

Dr350 conversion would be nice. Might look for an older DRz400sm, reliable as dirt, parts can be found without problem...

Or find a dirt model drz400 and slowl switch it over as more money comes up. My 426 was kind of put together that way. And lacing the 17" rims to stock hubs saves LOTS in the long run.

If you MUST have a bike right away, I say buy a used SV or the like, then keep your eyes peeled locally and on SupermotoJunkie for used motos in your area. They'll pop up. The best part is, going from a streetbike to a Supermoto is a blast. I used to ride a 600cc sportbike till I bought a used DRZ 400SM, now I don't ride anything else.

i have a raced prepped sv 650 and a supermoto for the street. it all depends on what your using it for. if it really is for around town, a supermoto is the most fun you'll ever have (speeking from my experiance anyway). but i think you are looking in right direction either way. i would say that between the two you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the replies. It seems my internet research is correct that the SV is a really good bike if you want street only. I'm really leaning toward trying to find a used DR-ZSM though, it's just too enticing, and it will be nice sitting next to my dirt WR. It's also hard to get passed the fact that I can't find one in the same price range I can find a used SV. I like the idea of getting an older DRZ or something else factory plated and slowly converting as well, but I hear to do it right is quite a bundle, so going with something like the DRZSM is the way to go. Just have to sit tight until I can find the right deal. This is supposed to be for saving money, definitely for fun too, but only if it helps save some.

Not what your asking, but get both of them :thumbsup: I currently have both, but I'm getting rid of the SV. Both very fun bikes, just different purposes.

Not what your asking, but get both of them :thumbsup: I currently have both, but I'm getting rid of the SV. Both very fun bikes, just different purposes.

Gotta pay the mortgage, flight school, and also want to get a boat in the next couple years. It'd be nice to be loaded...

Hi, I'm a newbie to TT.com (obviously). I didn't want to start a whole new thread since what I'm asking relates to this topic.

I'm looking to get into SM's. I currently have a gixxer. I love the handling aspect and speed, but from what I've seen/read a motard is ridiculously more agile (in the twisties) when compared to a sportbike. I'd like to experience this for myself. I already have my streetbike so that's taken care of.

Is there any bikes in particular that I should be looking at? I like the Husky SMR 450 and 510, but how are they on the street? I read that they're both race bikes with the bare necessities to make it street worthy. I also heard the DR-Z's are great all around SM's. Either way I know that gas mileage is an issue, but they're meant for tearing up the turns not going in a straight line. Any info to help me out is appreciated. I apoligize if I did anything wrong by posting this.

Oh yes, for those wondering my gixxer is an 01' 750. I was just looking around and saw that there's also SM570's and SM610's. Exactly how many different models are there? I don't want something that's too big/powerful for a first SM. I like the whole light weight package, and go fast in the turns aspect of the supermotards. The more I'm reading the DR-Z400SM is one of the hot tickets. I'd like something a little different though. Thanks again.

Well, I wouldn't say you've done anything wrong, but you might get more mileage, and replies if you post your own thread, putting a summary of exactly what you need to know in the title. I've gotten so much info off this site by doing that. Also, you can do a keyword search of the forums. It took me a while to realize this, but much of the info I am looking for does not come from an original thought I've had, and people have already asked, haha.

By the way, I'll be posting a new thread in this forum, thinking about trading my WR for a DR-ZSM, love the bike, but don't want to deal with the legal issues to street it.

Beedub , a DR400 dual sport w/street oriented tires will be pretty hooked-up on pavement . If you are riding around town , not racing , the performance of stock brakes and street tires should be more than adequate . From the seat you might not be able to tell the difference . It may not have the "supermoto" look , but you could buy one that is a few years old for reasonable money. Later for about a $1000 you could relace the stock hubs to 17's & tires and get a rotor and caliper spacer

Beedub , a DR400 dual sport w/street oriented tires will be pretty hooked-up on pavement . If you are riding around town , not racing , the performance of stock brakes and street tires should be more than adequate . From the seat you might not be able to tell the difference . It may not have the "supermoto" look , but you could buy one that is a few years old for reasonable money. Later for about a $1000 you could relace the stock hubs to 17's & tires and get a rotor and caliper spacer

Thanks! I am considering this option as well. Might have to get rid of the WR after all...:thumbsup:

By the way, I'll be posting a new thread in this forum, thinking about trading my WR for a DR-ZSM, love the bike, but don't want to deal with the legal issues to street it.

Well, I posted the new thread, and got in trouble for posting a classified ad in the forums, OOPS, my mistake...:thumbsup:

Anyway, the ad is in the classified section now. Should be easy to find.