Sign in to follow this  

dual sport dot tires

So about those Duro's.....

I bought mine local, but here is a site that has a good price on them.

http://www.americanmototire.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d660.html

A 90/90 21 is available. Good price on it as well.

I did a Google search and found other sites that had good prices on them as well as reasonable shipping. However I waited too long (old tire was slick) to order on-line, so I just got a local shop to get it. He could get it the next day, which worked well for me. Paid a little extra though.

metzler enduro sahara 3 are really good on and off tyres.:thumbsup:

Enduro tyre with very good on-road performance dedicated to the globetrotters always

looking for fun riding no matter what the terrain is

Dedicated tread compound perfectly combining safe on-road cornering grip and good off-road traction

Tread pattern geometry designed for fast self-cleaning: stable and precise trajectories without skidding also on soft, muddy terrains

Great handling with easy corner entry, stable cornering and high safety margins when riding at the limit

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/off_road/enduro_on_off&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=102241&uri=/metzeler/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/OffRoad_Enduro3.xml&menu_item=/products/catalog/off_road

What About Tyre Air Pressure In Diffrent Terrain Like:-

Mud?

Sand?

Gravel?

Snow?

Rocks?

Please Let Me Know......it Really Matters.......or Not....

What About Tyre Air Pressure In Diffrent Terrain Like:-

Mud?

Sand?

Gravel?

Snow?

Rocks?

Please Let Me Know......it Really Matters.......or Not....

Any loose, slippery terrain, I use 12 - 15 psi. Road riding 25 psi. Rocks - 18 psi.

I currently have the Kenda 270, front & rear. The rear is a great tire in the conditions I have ridden it through, water, mud, rocks, sand, gravel, dry & wet road, clay, tall grass, steep slopes, etc. I've only had it now for about 1,000 miles and wear looks good, I'll probably be replacing the rear with the same. The front tire does good in most conditions also, the two big exceptions are in muddy conditions and muddy ruts. The tires just wants to slide and not track at all. When it wears out or I find a good deal, I'll replace it with another type of tire. Rear +1, front -1, better than a 0

I am running a DURO Median HF904 130/80S-17 on the rear. Still have the stock trailwing on the front.

So far I like the Duro Median. It handles well on the road, and seems to have a good bite off road. I just put it on a few hundred miles ago, so I haven’t tried it in mud, but I have been off road in grass, hard pack and sand. Dirt roads are no problem either, even sandy ones.

They are also inexpensive, 45.00 to 50.00 dollars on most sites. From what I've read, mileage varies from 3,000 to 6,000.

hf904.jpg

I ordered two of these a while ago ( a week) they cme in on 7/3. I was on my way to get them when a crash occured. Anyways I look forward to trying these out on some rocky Mtn. Trails.

They were right at $100 bux for the pair, so we shall see.

When I got my DR650 last year, it had trailwings on -TW21-22. They were good road tires but sucked in the dirt/mud. In my search for the perfect 50/50 tire, I tried the Duros pictured here previously after I wore out the TWs. I got 6k miles out of a set of Duros, they excelled at nothing but were adequate at most everything. The front's wouldn't handle a hard lean on pavement- they would slide out, albeit predictably. The rear in dirt was OK but on a damp woods trail one day, I was at the edge of traction. Gravel roads were sketchy, the front would wash out in the loose stuff at the drop of a hat. All in all I was happy, but wanted something better as I felt limited on all surfaces.

I bought a rear Kenda K270 about a month ago thinking the tread would give me more off road traction, and I was right. Off road bite is exemplary- I made it through some scary woods riding and up some steep slick hills. The pavement manners were scary. The side knobs are very small and soft and when you get a decent lean going, you can feel them flex. Not very confidence inspiring. Braking traction was non-existent. It was so bad I decided to try a set of IRC GP110s. I'll save the Kenda and a gnarly TW301 I got free from a friend if I want to go do some serious dirt riding.

I spooned on the IRCs this week and took it out yesterday. Gravel manners were excellent compared to the Duros- they are predictable and have decent bite. The rear will spin out, but it makes power sliding sideways easy. The front tracks well- not as good as a full knobbie of course, but it give you a lot of confidence in semi loose gravel. In soft dirt and up hills, they do very well, traction was almost comparable to the Kenda. I haven't tried any mud yet due to the drought, but they seem to have decent side bite when I needed it. On pavement though, the GP110s shine. The vagueness is gone, I almost got rid of the chicken strips on my favorite twisties- It was like having a new bike again. They have a tread pattern unlike any other tire I have seen, there is a knob pattern on the sides that gives good traction in most conditions.

I may found the perfect tire for my style of riding and the areas I ride in- Great road manners, good gravel bite, and good dirt bite as well.

...I'm not a light guy (300+) so when I'm practically humping the tank on these roads and the front tire is constantly wandering I have to wonder if a different front tire is the way to go. If my weight isn't enough to get the front tire to settle, then what is? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You need to scoot your weight back on the bike a bit,by riding up on the tank your creating a bow wave of gravel in front of your front tire,which creates a contact point in front of your steering axis,so that you have a negative trail situation,causes the front tire to hunt around.If you take the weight off of the front and shift it back she'll stabilize a bit,but you do have to let the bike wander some in deep gravel.do all your slowing down in the straights and then gently accelerate through all the turns so you don't wash out the front.It is not your tires.

The D606 on the left has about 2k miles on it. Probably 1800 of it road miles. Maybe 100 gravel road. The middle tire is a new Mefo. The right tire is a new D606.

The 606's are pretty noisy on the road. Sound like a big 4x4. When new till you get a few hundred mile on them they are a little squirmy above 70mph, not to bad though. But off road they really hook up. And the 200 miles of off road I have on the 606's were in mud, ruts and rocks. They hooked up great. Even on gravel. I did a lot of intentional sliding and slinging gravel, and in complete control.

I am surprised I have got as many miles as I have on them. And still many more to go.

tire4-mini.png

... I tried the Duros pictured here previously after I wore out the TWs. I got 6k miles out of a set of Duros, they excelled at nothing but were adequate at most everything.

My experience with the Duro rear tire is quite different so far, despite the fact that I am running the tire at 25 psi off road. I haven’t tried the front, as I posted earlier, I still have the stock trail wing on the front.

I did quite a bit of riding this weekend. Saturday my wife and I doubled up and my father-in-law and mother-in-law doubled up and rode. He has a Vulcan 900, so we rode mainly on the highway except for the trip to the river.

Road handling, even two up was real good. At the river (riding single) I got to ride in sand, clay, climb hills and got a little air time… which the wife really didn’t like… lol! The tires performed well and did everything I asked of them.

Sunday we were off to my parent’s house where we rode with four wheelers. I was on my DR, my wife rode my mothers Ozark 250, my son was on his Honda CRF70F, dad was on his KingQuad 450 4x4, my brother was riding his Quadracer R450, and his son was on a QuadSport Z50.

The rear tire gripped well enough in the dirt that I could accelerate with the QuadRacer R450 (modified with racing chip and larger, wider tires).

I also managed to get more mudding than the 4-wheelers. I also managed to get extremely muddy and soaking wet… lol! My dad actually had to use 4-wheel drive to go around (more shallow) what I had just been in. I ended up in water over the seat for a few seconds, which of course filled my air box about half way with water choking the bike down… did I mention I got wet? When the engine stopped I still had water almost covering the side panels and the mud was probably a foot deep or so. When I got the engine started, the Duro pulled me out! Trust me when I say, it was slick! Good ole Georgia black mud! Mixed up well by 4x4 trucks of course…

Of course we had enough sand around to make a beach… the fine white powdery stuff. The front trailwing complained some, but the Duro just bit in and keep right on going.

I even found one trail that was root heaven… the dirt had been washed out from around them as well as from most of the trail… a little hairy as the DR can seem heavy especially when footing is a problem, but to my surprise the Duro performed well and with a little coaxing made it through the roots.

We rode through some gravel and I didn’t experience any problems, although gravel is one of those surfaces that I tend to be a little more cautious on.

I think for a 50/50 tire, it excels in mud, sand and hard pack while offering a good grip on the road.

I guess no one tire is perfect for a dual sport and what tires we use are as subjective as our taste in music. All I can say is that from what this tire has shown me so far, I’m a happy camper!

I guess no one tire is perfect for a dual sport and what tires we use are as subjective as our taste in music. All I can say is that from what this tire has shown me so far, I’m a happy camper!

Yeah, I never had a problem with the rear duro, it was the front that had most of the limitations. However, I went up a steep wet hill when the tire was 50% worn and I was at the limit of traction- I made it through with an ample twist to the throttle.

Update on the IRC GP 110s- This is an awesome road tire. I went to my favorite twisty road and all but eliminated the chicken strips. I was riding about 85-90% in the curves and never did the front or rear give a hint that it was nearing the edge of traction. The only minor complaint or observation is that when you lean, it sings till you get to the side lugs. Otherwise it is pretty quiet. Although I haven't been on anything too challenging in dirt, It's handled everything without drama.

However, I went up a steep wet hill when the tire was 50% worn and I was at the limit of traction- I made it through with an ample twist to the throttle.

I had a similar experience with the stock rear trailwing. Except the tires were only a few weeks old and I didn't quite make it up the wet hill. :thumbsup:

Update on the IRC GP 110s- This is an awesome road tire. I went to my favorite twisty road and all but eliminated the chicken strips. I was riding about 85-90% in the curves and never did the front or rear give a hint that it was nearing the edge of traction. The only minor complaint or observation is that when you lean, it sings till you get to the side lugs. Otherwise it is pretty quiet. Although I haven't been on anything too challenging in dirt, It's handled everything without drama.

I looked at those and liked the design, however I was a little unsure as to how they would handle off road. they did look like they would be good for the road though. If you would, let us know how they work off road when ya find out. If the front Duro is like you say, I might be looking for a new brand of tire for the front. Thank goodness I have plenty of time left! :thumbsup: