Sign in to follow this  

dual sport dot tires

I have a 2006 dr650, im looking for some good off road tires but want something that will handle good on the road with as long of life as I can get out of them. Any suggestions?

I ran Continental TKC 80s on my 650 Vstrom and I thought they were great performers. The only place that I never tried them was mud. I like Perelli Scorpions too, great road tire but not as good as the Continentals off road. In my experience, the TKC 80 is one of the more versatile D/S tires available.

Conti_tkc80.jpgMT90AT_Rear.gif

I will second the TKC-80s. There only downside is that the rear doesn't last very long and they are a bit pricey. There are a huge improvement on gravel roads over the stock tires because the front holds light years better in loose stuff. My rear is almost gone and i am going to try a D606 with the TKC-80 front which is a popular combo.

I have been running the Kenda K270 which are a 50/50 tires for 7 years now. I average 3k-4k on the rear and 6k on the front. It is a good all around tire. But like all 50/50 tires you have to compromise somewhere. It performs well in the dirt and street but does not excell at either. Very loose sand and sticky mud are it's weak points. Other than that I have no complaints. The 510 rear is offered in a 6 ply rating also. On the plus side I can get both tires for under $100.

RH

Based on personal experience, front and/or rear TKC 80s are dangerous in the mud and wet trails. Great on pavement.

I like D606's. I expect about 2000 usable miles out of them. Got a set of Mefo's and an extra set of 606's. Think I'll stick with the 606's. They are predictable on the road. And can't be beat off road. DOT approved that is.

Two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have been running the Kenda K270 which are a 50/50 tires for 7 years now. I average 3k-4k on the rear and 6k on the front. It is a good all around tire. But like all 50/50 tires you have to compromise somewhere. It performs well in the dirt and street but does not excell at either. Very loose sand and sticky mud are it's weak points. Other than that I have no complaints. The 510 rear is offered in a 6 ply rating also. On the plus side I can get both tires for under $100.

RH

+1 For the k270, bout as good as it gets on and off road.

Of all these dual-sport tires, what seems to work in loose gravel?

Imagine a fire road. Firm packed dirt (Almost the same firmness as asphalt) with a layer of pea to golfball sized stones along its entire length. That's the type of roads around in my area.

I have D606s, but the front still seems too squirrelly to me.

I ran Continental TKC 80s on my 650 Vstrom and I thought they were great performers.

Very pricey though.

I'm running an IRC GP21 front and Mitas MT07 rear at the moment and the next rear will probably be a Pirelli MT21 to see how that goes.

I just put Mefo MEF 99's on my DR and love them both on the pavement and gravel (no singletrack yet). They are extremely easy to mount. I know of a couple of fellas that rode from California to the Arctic Circle and back on one set, so they're good for a lotta miles.

The KLR guys love this tire also - check out Adventure Rider.com for writeups.

I've tried them all. Rear tires aren't as important as the front. TKC's are good on the road but seriously dangerous in the mud. I'm sticking with Pirelli MT 18 Heavy Duty on the front. I can go anywhere offroad on this tire. They do a great job on the street too, and they last a long time. On the rear, I use Dunlop 606's most of the time. If the terrain is nasty, I'll put a Kenda 760 on the rear.

Of all these dual-sport tires, what seems to work in loose gravel?

Imagine a fire road. Firm packed dirt (Almost the same firmness as asphalt) with a layer of pea to golfball sized stones along its entire length. That's the type of roads around in my area.

I have D606s, but the front still seems too squirrelly to me.

I'm running IRC GP-1's. They work well on pavement and the fireroads I ride on. The have the same tread pattern as the Kenda K270's but use a softer rubber compound.

I have a 2006 dr650, im looking for some good off road tires but want something that will handle good on the road with as long of life as I can get out of them. Any suggestions?

I got GP-1's on now but am not happy with the narrow and flat profile of the front tire...i did notice that the 270 comes in a 3.25-21 front and might give that a try based on how long the rear lasts.

Might go back to TW's since it seems nothing less than a full knobby is going to work on gravel:eek:

I am running a DURO Median HF904 130/80S-17 on the rear. Still have the stock trailwing on the front.

So far I like the Duro Median. It handles well on the road, and seems to have a good bite off road. I just put it on a few hundred miles ago, so I haven’t tried it in mud, but I have been off road in grass, hard pack and sand. Dirt roads are no problem either, even sandy ones.

They are also inexpensive, 45.00 to 50.00 dollars on most sites. From what I've read, mileage varies from 3,000 to 6,000.

hf904.jpg

Gravel on hard pack is an accident just waiting to happen. Been there done that ate the gravel.

RH

You may want to consider the IRC GP-110's. Even though the front is still a 3.00-21, it's has a rounded profile.

I got GP-1's on now but am not happy with the narrow and flat profile of the front tire...i did notice that the 270 comes in a 3.25-21 front and might give that a try based on how long the rear lasts.

Might go back to TW's since it seems nothing less than a full knobby is going to work on gravel:eek:

Gravel on hard pack is an accident just waiting to happen. Been there done that ate the gravel.

It's all we really have around here in New York. There's no public land to ride on, very few private areas available for public use, and most land owners aren't willing to let people ride their property (For understandable reasons).

I'm certainly not going to take my street bike down these roads. You want an experience? Take a Concours ('06, not the latest model) with pure street tires down these types of roads. :thumbsup:

I'm not a light guy (300+) so when I'm practically humping the tank on these roads and the front tire is constantly wandering I have to wonder if a different front tire is the way to go. If my weight isn't enough to get the front tire to settle, then what is? :thumbsup::busted: