Sign in to follow this  

My nailed piston

thats not that bad really.. nothen you cant buff out..

Looks like you went too long without rebuilding it and she broke. I've seen some that were in a lot more pieces than that.

Yeah that left a mark :thumbsup: Cylinder is definitely going to be junk, hows the crank?

Yes, my fault. Overdue for a service. I now have an hourmeter :thumbsup:

So far new piston,rings,rod,crank,barrel,

Not sure why it is so black. Use 98 octane at 40 : 1 only using the highest quality lubricants. Im guessing it just got so hot before it grenaded:excuseme:

Is that detonation I see on that pistion? That won't help if it is.

Explain please :thumbsup:

Explain please :thumbsup:

Are there lots of tiny holes in the top of the piston? What I meant to say was pre ignition. Thats caused by the gas igniting before the spark. It can cause all kinds of badness in a motor.

i don't think that is detonation... Looks more like the first little peice that came of the piston got transfered thru the ports to the top and bounced around a bit befor it actually when POOF.....

As for the question about it being detanation is pre ignition , basically due to improper air fuel mixture, wrong timing or to high of copression before the timed spark is suppose to happen. The motor basically starts to diesel and kind of run on its own. Although this is very bad in a gas motor. Think of it this way, your spark ignites the mixture at a determined time and kind of burns real quick forcing the piston down... whith pre-ignition or detonation, the mixture starts the burn cycle itself before the timed ignition, then the ignition will start the burn process someplace else in the cylinder and when the two meet you get a collision of the to flame fronts that is powerful enought to displace little bits of metle of the piston....Thats the short version....:thumbsup:

i don't think that is detonation... Looks more like the first little peice that came of the piston got transfered thru the ports to the top and bounced around a bit befor it actually when POOF.....

As for the question about it being detanation is pre ignition , basically due to improper air fuel mixture, wrong timing or to high of copression before the timed spark is suppose to happen. The motor basically starts to diesel and kind of run on its own. Although this is very bad in a gas motor. Think of it this way, your spark ignites the mixture at a determined time and kind of burns real quick forcing the piston down... whith pre-ignition or detonation, the mixture starts the burn cycle itself before the timed ignition, then the ignition will start the burn process someplace else in the cylinder and when the two meet you get a collision of the to flame fronts that is powerful enought to displace little bits of metle of the piston....Thats the short version....:busted:

I should never type while talking to my kids.....:thumbsup:

Sorry for the missing letters and spelling...:thumbsup:

As for the question about it being detanation is pre ignition , basically due to improper air fuel mixture, wrong timing or to high of copression before the timed spark is suppose to happen. The motor basically starts to diesel and kind of run on its own. Although this is very bad in a gas motor. Think of it this way, your spark ignites the mixture at a determined time and kind of burns real quick forcing the piston down... whith pre-ignition or detonation, the mixture starts the burn cycle itself before the timed ignition, then the ignition will start the burn process someplace else in the cylinder and when the two meet you get a collision of the to flame fronts that is powerful enought to displace little bits of metle of the piston....Thats the short version....:thumbsup:

Well said :thumbsup:

As for the question about it being detanation is pre ignition , basically due to improper air fuel mixture, wrong timing or to high of copression before the timed spark is suppose to happen. The motor basically starts to diesel and kind of run on its own. Although this is very bad in a gas motor. Think of it this way, your spark ignites the mixture at a determined time and kind of burns real quick forcing the piston down... whith pre-ignition or detonation, the mixture starts the burn cycle itself before the timed ignition, then the ignition will start the burn process someplace else in the cylinder and when the two meet you get a collision of the to flame fronts that is powerful enought to displace little bits of metle of the piston....Thats the short version....:busted:

Very informative :thumbsup: Cheers :thumbsup:

preignition---10000385bo.jpg

detonation----detonation.jpg

note: most of the time damage from detonation occurs around the outside of the piston, usually disolving into the ring lands