What size tank? Suggestions?

I would appreciate some input into what gas tank I should go with for my 07 DRZ400SM.

A few things first though.

I would like a range of 200km(160ml) or better without a huge jump in discomfort if at all.

Painting suggestions.( For best quality, all the aftermarket are plastic )

Quality-fit and finish

I plan on an aftermarket seat so fit is important.

With that said I also have some engine mods-gasket, cams, carb, 3x3 and full exaust. With these mods and the stock tank I get about 130km before reserve. So all in all about 140km before I'm done. between 30-35miles to the gallon or 60-70km gallon.

I'm also thinking of going to big bore kit( 440 athena most likely ) in the future. So I would like to compensate for this possibility.

I've thought of changing the gearing, but only if and when I go to the big bore.

Thanks for the input. I know it's a lot to consider but thanks the same.

your not asking for a huge range, i dont have the IMS, i have the clarke, but my friend got IMS for his 650, and his is much better quality, look more into the IMS 3.2 gallon, ask someone about it who owns one. my clarke 3.9 gets about 280KM a tank before reserve.

Well, simple math would suggest if you get 130 km out of 2 gal and you want to get at least 200 km before reserve, you need a 3.7 gal tank (= 2.0 gal X 200/130 + 0.6 gal reserve).

You must do a lot of high speed riding because 65 km per gal seems on the low side. A stock 'SM' easily gets 95 km or more per gal.

Yeah but he's running an FCR not a BSR36 CV.Still on mine I average 45mpg.

He needs a bigger tank but I'm not convinced by his criteria that he would be happy with a Clarke 3.9 like I am.You can't move too far forward on a Clarke 3.9 like you can on the stock tank and it complicates the design and installation of an aftermarket seat.The IMS 3.2 or 4.0 might make more sense or perhaps custom fitting the Acerbis 4.25 E model tank to allow him more range.

i have the 17 litre safari tank on order , i have done a lot of research into the product . the only problems are with the petcocks seizing up .

they are good value at $ 449.00 aud for the 17 litre .

They say only the first ones seize. I think it's not a problem anymore.

http://www.rvaqualine.com.au/page.php?sId=21&aId=2

I've got the 28l one and it seems that I can go to the end of the world with one full tank. After 300km still has plenty gas left in it. My only rant about it is that it doesn't come in blue and that white one looks fugly. I wonder... they don't sell the blue DRZ in Australia???

I've been very happy with the Clarke. Mine is a big bore stroker with 41mm FCR carb. The only bad thing I can think of on the Clarke is it necessitates modifying the choke because of the FCR carb. Basically the choke will not fully open but there are easy solutions to the problem e.g. cut 1/2 inch off choke shaft, drill hole and put in key ring.

I wonder... they don't sell the blue DRZ in Australia???

They do but everyone over here buy's the E model as they are registerable nationwide (and everyone wants to go fast over here so blue is out ? )