Sign in to follow this  

New member here from quads to bikes..

I just joined this site, it seems really cool so far ! i've been racing quads "xc" for 4 years now and just made the switch to bikes. just got a 2007 yz250f last week. boy what a change this is. i thought i would just jump back on a bike and be a patch of hell. well that aint happening... :thumbsup:

i've been a member of atvriders and quadzone for years now and thought i would check this site out to get some tips from you xc riders. i havn't rode a bike since 91 so any hints or tips will be appreciated... thanks

haha i made the oposite switch, from bikes to quads recently.

just take er' easy at first and get used to the bike and then once your comfortable giver' tits. best advice i can give. :thumbsup:

haha i made the oposite switch, from bikes to quads recently.

just take er' easy at first and get used to the bike and then once your comfortable giver' tits. best advice i can give. :thumbsup:

i'm taking it easy only rode it one time so far, i want to lean with it and stuff like i did on a quad and that aint good.. i let my thumb off the throttle one time going into a turn and that didn't work out to good it being a twist... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: When in doubt, throttle it out.

Also look farther out in front of your "quad vision". The bikes are faster and will soak up more.:thumbsup:

also looking at getting a 450 quad. not keen to sell my Rmz450 though. Quads getting very competative and ridden in the correct places could be excellent i would assume. decisions.lol

If your asking what quad to get I would say get a YFZ450. I have one and it's incredible.

thanks guys !! i just got off of a yfz450.. excellent quad out of the box.. if i went back to quads it would be another yfz..

friend of mine told to go out in a field and do figure eights on my bike and that will help get the quad ridding style out of me.. yall ever hear of that ?? it seems to be helping as far as the leaning and steering..

Just remember to get your weight much farther forward than you would on a quad and look where you want to go and you'll be fine, elbows up, head forward.

Here's a few tips that helped me make the transition (many years ago). I'm not saying these are the best techniques; they just work for me so keep the flames on safe:busted: :

Stand as much as possible, and on your toes when possible (you might want to shift and brake at some point). Humans have a better sense of balance when on your toes than your buttocks (science, not opinion).

When the going gets rough (bouncy terrain, ruts, etc.), lean forward and get your shoulders as close to the bars as comfortably possible and throttle to settle the bike down. I lean forward to allow the bars to move as much as needed so I don't have to slow down.

Balance yourself where your arms are not fighting the bars and hold on with your knees pinching the tank. The bars should be loose in your hands/arms to allow them to move as needed (although woops on a quad is some serious bar movement isn't it)...no death grip or you will get arm pump in no time. Good body position is the best anti arm pump that I know of. Don't fight the bike.

Tight corners require me to sit and suck up to the tank as far as I can. Elbows up, look beyond the turn to find your exit line (you should have found your entrance line about 20 yards ago), throttle as needed to keep the bike settled or more throttle to slide the back for a better angle.

Look where you want to go. If you look at the rock, chances are you're going to hit it. If you look at the few inches of space between a couple of rocks, chances are your going to go there. Look ahead and don't sweat the mild to moderate level of movement the bike will do. Major movement or a front "wash" should get you attention; that's why throttle and body position are so important.

Bikes love throttle to "square them up". When you get squirly, gas it. Modern bikes work best at speed; it's up to you to keep up with the bike (I don't mean do sound rude; it's just true). This is especially true in sand.

It's a tougher ride to master, but you'll enjoy it much more when you do. Good luck and welcome!:thumbsup:

Oh, and the only thing that makes you a better rider is...riding more.

This ended up a lot longer post that I thought.:thumbsup:

What did I miss guys?

• Like 1

thanks for all the advice.. now if i can just get some seat time... :thumbsup:

Welcome to TT. yz250f is a great bike and youll love it. good luck!

Welcome to ThumperTalk. I've never actually got into riding quads but when i did i would put my foot out and almost run it over. Switching from quads to bikes, make sure you lean into the turn with your foot out to make sure you dont slip out. Give it some time cause pesonally i think it will take time. Tootally two different things to ride.

what's frustarting is riding a trail with a good cut back on it where i used to slide into and power out of, but just can't handle a bike like that.. yet...

what's frustarting is riding a trail with a good cut back on it where i used to slide into and power out of, but just can't handle a bike like that.. yet...

Welcome to TT!

Today I went riding with another guy on a dirt bike and two other guys both on quads. I can't begin to tell you how rough and tight some of the terrain was--as well as how steep some of the hills/mountains were. The quad guys were concerned before we first took off as to whether or not us dirt bike guys would be able to go through some of the creeks/streams(including a tunnel running underneath a road with a creek flowing through it) that they were planning on taking us through. Myself and the other dirt bike guy didn't have any problems whatsoever. We were able to ride through anything those guys did just as easily. I was riding a YZ250 two-stroke and it handled all situations with ease. I'm just a dirt bike fan. Started on them around age 7 or 8--so I would have an extremely difficult time adapting to quad riding.

You'll make the adjustment to a dirt bike eventually and I believe that you will ultimately like it just as much as quad riding or maybe even better.

Ron

• Like 1