Clear Creek entrance fees

BLM Announces Intent to Collect Fees at Clear Creek Management Area

The Bureau of Land Management has announced it intends to collect user fees starting no earlier than January 2008 at the Clear Creek Management Area to meet increasing demands for visitor services at the popular recreation site in Fresno and San Benito counties.

“The fees collected will be used at CCMA to maintain existing facilities and recreational opportunities, to provide for law enforcement presence, to develop additional services, and to protect unique and sensitive resources in the area,” said Rick Cooper, BLM Hollister Field Office manager.

BLM is seeking public comment on the proposal for the next 30 days. Comments must be received by the BLM’s Hollister Field Office, 20 Hamilton Court, Hollister, Calif. 95023 by July 27. BLM also plans to seek review and a recommendation from the Pacific Southwest Recreation Resources Advisory Committee being established under the authority of the Recreation Enhancement Act by BLM and the U.S. Forest Service.

The area is used primarily for off-highway vehicle recreation, but is gaining popularity for other activities including hunting, hiking, backpacking, hang gliding, peak climbing, and rock hounding, Cooper said. In March 2006, the BLM’s existing Central California Resource Advisory Council voted unanimously to “accept the concept of the collection of user fees at Clear Creek.” BLM held a public workshop in June 2006 where members of the public expressed willingness to pay a user fee as long as the funding showed tangible results within the area.

Under the proposal open for comment, all visitors would be charged a Standard Amenity Recreation fee of $5 per primary vehicle. OHV users (e.g. all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, quads, dune buggies) would be charged an additional Special Recreation Permit fee of $10 per OHV. Both of these fees would be good for a weekly pass from Wednesday through Tuesday regardless of the day of purchase. An $80 seasonal pass (valid from October 16 through May 31) would be available that would cover both the primary vehicle and two OHVs. OHVs specifically for riders under sixteen would not be charged a fee. Holders of the new America the Beautiful Passport as well as the still valid Golden Eagle, Golden Age, and Golden Access Passports will be exempt from the $5 SAR fee, but will be required to pay the SRP fee.

For more information, contact Lesly Smith, BLM outdoor recreation planner, at the Hollister BLM Field Office, (831) 630-5000.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/2007/june/CCNews0755_CCMA-fees.html

Keep informed and active

Ride on

Brewster

CERA...assistant LAO

$10 bucks per bike, plus $5 per car seems kind of steep. At least they don't charge for kids, that will make it easier for families. hopefully it will help keep some of the idiots away. Thanks Brewster

$75 for gas and entrance fees for the BLM fence fund. I don't mind paying a fee but per bike is BS. It's such a long drive that getting down there twice in one week to take advantage of the fee is mostly ridiculous. From what I heard the tally of users at CC wasn't very large so they probably put a higher price to pay for the per capita of users so to say. I also hate paying a fee to close trails instead of maintaining current ones, or heaven forbid open new ones. Besides fences the services they are probably planning on are a front gate, more Ranger's on bikes, emptying the current garbage and crappers. I also heard something of the possibility of hidden cameras out in boonies to record off trail users. Don't know how true that is.

In case you haven't seen it this is their tool of choice for singletrack repair. I heard there was a smaller blade available for it. Requesting that the small blade be used should be brought up as well.

minidozer-1.jpg

How about using some of the fees to make more signs to put on more trails so there is more "legal" riding. Doubt that will happen. If any signs are created my guess is that it will read "closed".

so, it has happened, the world famous Clear Creek 90 billion acres of single track is closed, only the numbered double and triple wide park trails remain open and now they will charge money to ride there.

Clear Creek has become Hollister. face it, the global warming, enviro-asbestos worrying EPA guilt ridden bay area and SO Cal democrat lovin masses of tree plant huggin bastids have won again and again and again.

I remember riding my 1972 Honda sl125 everywhere in LA on open fields. we keep losing year after year after year.

so, it has happened, the world famous Clear Creek 90 billion acres of single track is closed, only the numbered double and triple wide park trails remain open and now they will charge money to ride there.

Clear Creek has become Hollister. face it, the global warming, enviro-asbestos worrying EPA guilt ridden bay area and SO Cal democrat lovin masses of tree plant huggin bastids have won again and again and again.

I remember riding my 1972 Honda sl125 everywhere in LA on open fields. we keep losing year after year after year.

You hit the nail on the head Bob. I remember riding Clear Creek in the late 80's and almost having the place to ourselves. If I remember correctly there's NOTHING out there. No towns, homes, just acres of scrub-brush and sparse trees. A perfect place to ride all day long and not disturb anyone. The urban guilt of environmentalism-give money to a green org. so I can feel better about my polluting lifestyle. Most of those people never set foot in the forest, unless they can drive their Toyota Prius to a paved parking lot complete with bathrooms, and day hike to a lookout somewhere. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: greenies! We're going to need an army of lawyers to combat this problem and lots of our own green-cash! Get involved and try and protect your little slice of the pie.

It seems like the BLM is really being seriously influenced by the greenies. More so than the Forest Service. This is just the begining of another land grab just like they are trying to do at the Pine Nuts and out in the Blackrock. We all no its nothing to do with the enviroment and all to do the eradification of all ohv recreation. They are very calculating and no the plan that works. Small steps: first start charging fees, then rescrictions, and more rescrictions, and then were all packed into one little sandbox and we get disgusted and go away. We I'm not going away without a fight and I believe if your going to bitch like I am then you need to be involved. I know that alot of you guys have been at this for a long time and I commend you for it. I'm just getting back into the sport so I'm a noob here and I procrastinated for like a the last year on kicking down some cash to BRC and Corva. Well I finally got to it and I suggest that anyone out there thats not and cares should be. What really motivated me was that I realized that I was bitching about whats happening and not involved. I believe that you have no right to bitch if your not trying to do something about it. I'll step down now

Our fight is with the EPA on this one boys. If the EPA deems Clear Creek unsafe for human habitation because of "Asbestos Exposure" TM, I have been told by Mr. Cooper of the BLM field office in Hollister that he will be forced to pull the rangers out of there and thus forcing a permanant closure. Seems as if the BLM has to justify their own existance down there and even though the more they manage the place - the less is accessable to the people, this time it's out of their hands.:thumbsup: Fight the EPA and it's bogus science. Don't let them snowball the public about this asbestos thing.

Protect unique and sensitive resources, I like to know what that is? What is it some kind of plant or specimen. Ive ridden there many times and have never come across a unique or sensitive resource on a trail unless I take a fall and land in the bushes, or off the trail. And as far has the other recreations like hiking, backpacking, peak climbing or rock hounding what ever that means. I can go to other places that are much more scenic and more attractive than doing those activities at a Barren open space at CC. ''o" well sorry for the rant. I wounder if they are going to charge a fee if you come from HWY 5 side?