Sign in to follow this  

125 or 250?

this is my second thread about this, but on my last one didnt really help me out too much.

right now i have a yz85 with big bore kit but th bike is way to small, so i am gettin a 125 or 250.

i havent been riding MX for that long but have been just messin around around my house for a while but starting to ride MX.

i am 15, 5'8" or so, and around 130

there are a few things im trying to find out

which would cost less in maintainence?

which is the most fun?

I am probably gonna race a few times for kicks

and which one would be an all around better bike for me

thanks in advance!

this is my second thread about this, but on my last one didnt really help me out too much.

right now i have a yz85 with big bore kit but th bike is way to small, so i am gettin a 125 or 250.

i havent been riding MX for that long but have been just messin around around my house for a while but starting to ride MX.

i am 15, 5'8" or so, and around 130

there are a few things im trying to find out

which would cost less in maintainence?

which is the most fun?

thanks in advance!

General maintenance, same. Rebuild/valvejobs.. twostrokes cost less in that department :thumbsup:

people have much different opinions, some ppl like riding the pipe hours on end while other love the all around power of a 250. id say the 250 wood be better but ud like the 125 more have a 2t backround. im the same size but me? i said screw em both and got a 250 pinger but thats my choice :lol:

im also in no position to say whats right for you!! :busted:

got friends with those bikes? ride them both, get a feel, make ur choice, pick a color!! :thumbsup:

AND :cheers::bonk::lol:

the powerband on 2 strokes are but i think i would rather have the all around power but not sure, havent been able to ride a 250f

how often would the rebuilds be on a 250f?

the powerband on 2 strokes are but i think i would rather have the all around power but not sure, havent been able to ride a 250f

how often would the rebuilds be on a 250f?

alot of racers around here are getting 30 hours out of there top ends, trail riders are getting about 50-60. check your valves every 10 hours for a trail rider is fine, a racer or aggresive trail rider more often, change your oil clean filter, you should be fine. but a 2 stroke much less maintenance

ps-if you actually change your top end in a 4 stroke it will cost you 200 or 300$ if you do labor yourself, 800-1500 if you blow it up

100-200 for a top end on a 2 stroke 400-700 if you blow it up.

personally i take pride in maintenance and stuff like that so i really dont mind valves, oil filter, and all the other stuff of a 4 stroke

but if i keep up with regular maintainence a 4T it shouldnt blow or anything rite?

but if im not one of the hardest riders on the 4T will you have to replace the top end like that?

General maintenance, same. Rebuild/valvejobs.. twostrokes cost less in that department :thumbsup:

people have much different opinions, some ppl like riding the pipe hours on end while other love the all around power of a 250. id say the 250 wood be better but ud like the 125 more have a 2t backround. im the same size but me? i said screw em both and got a 250 pinger but thats my choice :lol:

im also in no position to say whats right for you!! :busted:

got friends with those bikes? ride them both, get a feel, make ur choice, pick a color!! :thumbsup:

AND :cheers::bonk::lol:

correct 2 strokes are cheaper in maintinence but it can be decieving. A two stroke is going to seem more expensive at in the short run because you have to premix and tope ends avery year(or less) but if it a 4 stroke needs a new top end in a couple three years it is going to be steep(about $1500). So the two stroke is going to seem more expensive but then when it comes time for motor work on the 4t the time wil definetly catch up with you

but if i keep up with regular maintainence a 4T it shouldnt blow or anything rite?

but if im not one of the hardest riders on the 4T will you have to replace the top end like that?

if you are the type of rider that does not really rev your bike out you could get maby 80 hours, with really good maintenence, and that is pushing it, ive heard of it, but its not common if you do regular maintenance, you will notice when you top end is starting go, from my experience, if a bike feels a little sluggish, if it gets harder to start, or if it starts burning oil, it probly needs a new top end. they dont just blow up out of nowhere like some people say, there are signs, you just have to know what to look for. i have only had one bike blow up out of nowhere, and it was because i rode it on the rev limiter a little to long

idk i really want to get a 250f but im kinda startin to think it might be too much money in top end rebuilds and stuff

they are not cheap, that is for sure, but if you like something it is worth the money

Get a 250 two stroke. You'll quickly adapt to the power, and you'll become a better rider on one.

you wont learn to ride as fast on the 125 because a 125 is a Tall 80 with a big bore kit. You would definately enjoy a 250.

edit* In my opinion...

I would go with a 125. I was going to get a 250 pinger and I tried my cousins and it was just too much for me. BTW I am 5'10" and 135 pounds. I got a rm125 and love it. It has a good amount of bottom end and screams up top. I have ridden a yzf250 and it was really to be honest boring to ride. It had power but it wasn't fun to ride at all. There is nothing like hitting that powerband on a 125. Also used 125's are going for really cheap right now. I got an 03 rm125 that was ported and had lots of other upgrades for 1600. And it needed nothing. So this is only my opinion but I would go with the 125. But you should really ride both kinds of bikes before you buy.

Id go with the 125. I got my YZ 125 after 2 years on a DRZ 125 and its working great!!! if you learn to use all of the power on the 125 then it will make you alot better rider when you step up to the 250 in a few years.

thanks in advance!

The 125's were designed for riders of you size and age. Get the 125.

Just get a 250 two stroke. Thats what I ride and there a lot of fun, and not scary at all wimps.

Just get a 250 two stroke. Thats what I ride and there a lot of fun, and not scary at all wimps.

yeah i mean if u learn to respect the bike, it wont scare you off. judging by what uve said im saying 125 would be better. u could ride both (or all 3 :thumbsup: ) and make a choice..

Well like you said if you thoughtfully use your right wrist you will have no problems.

I had the same problem only after awhile I scrapped the F idea and just went to 125 or 250 2-stroke. I didn't get a new bike yet, but I will be soon. I'm going with the 125 because I'm new to the 2-strokes and I think it would have enough power for me. I'm the same age, height and weight as you.