Sign in to follow this  

DR 600 carb trouble

are all Mikuni 38 flat slide carbs interchangeable regardless of what make they came off ? can a triple carb Mikuni 38 ml set off a Yamaha 750 be used as a single or for parts for the existing one ? I have grief with the one on my Dakar and as a newbie to the world of DRs I have many questions a tired right leg and no manual in my tongue, can I use a Dr 650 manual for any information?

any insight is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

are all Mikuni 38 flat slide carbs interchangeable regardless of what make they came off ? can a triple carb Mikuni 38 ml set off a Yamaha 750 be used as a single or for parts for the existing one ? I have grief with the one on my Dakar and as a newbie to the world of DRs I have many questions a tired right leg and no manual in my tongue, can I use a Dr 650 manual for any information?

any insight is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

It would most likely work but you need to have the jetting components available to set the carb up for your big single. You might want to contact a carb specialty shop like Sudco to find out if the jets/needles you would need are available for the particular flat slide carbs that the Yamaha used. As far as the manual goes I'd say no to trying to use the 650 manual. So many specs change between models... you really need to try and find a manual for your model.

Just sold my 600 (getting a 650) but used to use the german DR600 manual along with the english DR650 manual for translation... bikes are almost identical.

I had carb troubles that I couldn't sort out as well so just gave in and sent it to the shop for a thorough cleaning - did the trick. Good luck, it's a fun bike but a pain in the ass. :thumbsup:

Send me your email & I'll send you both manuals & microfiche for parts.

Edit: also bout the right leg... it's not about force but technique.

Not sure if you have a manual decompression lever on the handlebars but here's how you start it with only a few kicks and no lever.

Remember it's not about force but technique.

1 - pull choke out

2 - rest your foot on the kickstart with a bit of weight and let the kicker go down till it stops on it's own about halfway... (don't force it down just rest your foot there and let it go down on its own - might take a minute)

3 - keep your foot weighted till it goes down a touch more than halfway (now you're at TDC (piston's at Top Dead Center)).

4 - let it come back all the way up

5 - kick it all the way through very relaxed (remember not force)

6 - make sure choke is still out - repeat

Once it gets going make sure the choke is still out till it warms up or it'll stall - engine will rev like crazy then choke will pop in on it's own once warmed up.