Rim lock torque?

So I mounted my first tire today, (a stiff maxxis IT too!) without pinching the tube. Yeah!

How much do I need to tighten the rim lock (rear tire?)

Thanks, Bruno.

I couldn't find a spec for it in the manual, but the 'general torque spec' for an 8mm bolt w/12mm nut is 11 ft/lb. I'd say go for 15 or 20 at least. It's just clamping the tire to the rim, the tighter the better IMO, as long as you don't strip the threads out. The rubber of the tire provides a bit of a cushion, so you won't likely overtighten it.

BUT be careful not to really crank down on it. It is all too possible for the rimlock to flare the rim out.

Do it up tight, but not too tight, if you know what I mean... :thumbsup:

it will snap the threads off before it flares a rim either way thats too tight Snug with a lock washer and ur good.

I must have changed a hundred tyres in the last year alone mate, and I have seen my fair share of flared rims. It happens.

Tighten it with a good amount only using 2 fingers. Not using your arm to pull just use your pointer and middle finger. That is what Kevin Windhams tire expert said to do in his how to videos on transworld's site.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rick Mcqueen Art
      A tiny clear rubber tube on bottom of carb.  On bottom sort of on side, by floats, the other end just hanging down.  Was it always like this? Or does the other end go somewhere?  Today after multiple trys with kick, choke on/off ,,,fuel keeps pouring out the tube.  This bike has always been hard to start.   Thanx  guys!
    • By Brock granberg
      I just did my valve adjustments and put my YZ250f back together as far as the valves, shims buckets and cam covers on but I need adhesive for the plastic valve/cam cover and I am stumped as far as what to use and where to get it or even what to call it! Need to get some soon im in need of a ride!
    • By ThatE30GUY
      Hey guys, I bought this YZ85 and came to realise the clutch wasnt working, so I drained the oil (Jet black) and pulled the plates out and cleaned them. I assumed finding a torque wrench would be easier than it has been. Does anyone know how to torque the clutch springs to spec without a wrench? Any insight helps.