tranny fluid

is it possible to siphon it out without using the drain bolt?

Is your bolt stripped?

My thought is no, because it's too thick (heavy).

Not to mention, you wouldn't get it all out.

no im just wondering if you can syphon it out with a pump or somthing

What did you do?

You said "tranny fluid", so we are talking about the 2-stroke??? Because the other two machines share the same oil between the engine and trans, so there is no "tranny fluid" per se.

The idea is that when you open the bolt, the rush of fluid carries all the gunk and metal shavings that have accumulated in the bottom of the trans with it . Siphoning it out completely defeats that purpose....

If you killed your drain plug or something of that sort, remove the clutch cover and tilt the bike to drain out the oil.

Use the drain bolt. It's there for a reason. Unless you like using your bike for a metal grinder.

nothing happened. i am jsut wondering. my dad thinks that using the drain bolt puts stress on the case by torqueing it on and off after every other ride

Sounds like your dad has a story behind that kind of thinking that he doesn't want to tell.

You can siphon crankcase oil, but you'll never get it all out. And as far as the stress of taking the bolt in and out, don't worry about it, I'm sure that all of the OEM's (even Harley) considered that when they orginally designed the case.

Just torque the bolt to the correct level when your re-installing it, and you'll never have a problem.

nothing happened. i am jsut wondering. my dad thinks that using the drain bolt puts stress on the case by torqueing it on and off after every other ride

Huh?

What scientific method is he using to claim this 'stress'?

because when i cranked the bolt off my old 03 xr80 it stripped the hole. and when i took it to the dealer the mechanic said that year was prone to that because the case was made of a softer metal

As for the 'mechanic', many say whatever they feel like making up because if all mechanics were saying that and it were true, somebody woulda sued them.

At what pound feet of torque on your torque wrench does 'cranked' appear?

At what pound feet of torque on your torque wrench does 'cranked' appear?
:thumbsup:

The "Cranked" setting is below the minimum setting where you don't feel a click and just keep trying.

i meant it like taking it off lol