Sign in to follow this  

reving with clutch = engine dies

My DRZ 400 S has less than 350 miles on it. Tonight while riding I noticed that if I twist the throttle quickly with the clutch pulled in the engine immediately dies . It also makes a single loud clunk just as the engine dies. It only happens at low RPM's and in any gear. What do you think the problem is?

Jetting. Carb is lean from the factory.

Why would this problem with jetting just start happening now? It didn't do it for the first 325 miles.

Most things lose their settings over time. This (325miles) was your time. :thumbsup:

Those carbs are weak from the get go. Either re jet, or change the carb if you want all the ponies out of your Z.

Why would this problem with jetting just start happening now? It didn't do it for the first 325 miles.

Probably becuase the rings have seated, and now the motor needs more fuel at full throttle.

Just a question. Why are you cracking the throttle with the clutch pulled in anyways? No load = No good

Probably becuase the rings have seated, and now the motor needs more fuel at full throttle.

I doesn't have to be open to full throttle. The engine dies as soon as I start to snap the throttle. It'll die with less than a quarter turn of the throttle if I do it quickly. If I slowly roll on the throttle it will respond fine.

+1 on the FCR

The thing you have to realize with single cylinder motorcycles is that any small change will effect 100% of your engines performance, where as with larger, multiple cyl. bikes, the changes sometimes aren't noticed as easily. Example, 4 cyl bike has 1 mistuned cylinder, other 3 can often compensate, single cyl. has mistuned cyl.....nothing to compensate, so it really shows. At least for the most part their easier to diagnose! :thumbsup:

...if I twist the throttle quickly with the clutch pulled in the engine immediately dies...What do you think the problem is?

In my experience it is not a serious problem, and jetting has nothing to do with it. Any DRZ will do it if (a) the engine is not fully warmed up, and/or (:thumbsup: the idle speed is set too low.

Just turn your idle screw (not your fuel screw) in 1/2 turn or so and then don't snap your throttle until the engine is warmed up. Should solve the problem. :thumbsup:

In my experience it is not a serious problem, and jetting has nothing to do with it. Any DRZ will do it if (a) the engine is not fully warmed up, and/or (B) the idle speed is set too low.

Just turn your idle screw (not your fuel screw) in 1/2 turn or so and then don't snap your throttle until the engine is warmed up. Should solve the problem. :thumbsup:

sryder, you were right, thanks. I just turned up the idle screw a little and the DRZ has been running perfectly for a couple of weeks now. :applause:

Glad to hear that you have it sorted out.

If you haven't done it I would still recommend the re-jet. These bikes run lean from the factory. Once I did the 3x3 and the re-jet my bike came to life. You will be amazed at the difference.