HELP! coolant problem with my crf250

its an 05 crf250

i took it to mexico ran it in the dunes, ill admit it was running pretty hot.

when i get back i notice coolant all over my cases, coming from the overflow tube. may have overheated, not sure. but now everytime i run my bike coolant starts to leak slowly after like 10 minutes dosent matter what im doing with it.

theres no smoking, no funny noises or power loss... what happened?

My banshee used to do that all the time when i ran it hard. there is probably nothing wrong except the fact that the r does not have an overflow resovoir to catch the coolant that comes out of the overflow hose. that is why cars have a overflow tank attached to the other end of the overflow hose. if anyone out there has an old classic car with no overflow tank they could probably tell you that on a real hot day that there car will have a little coolant come out of the hose. My 250x has a tank so it catches any coolant that come out. and besides that coolant expands when it gets hot and when you are running in the dunes where it is hot to start with and you are working the engine hard the coolant expands even more. if the cap did not open that little bit guess what your radiator would have a nice hole in it or one of you hoses would pop. just keep all that in mind before you start chaseing a problem that is probably not even there.

ok well how else can i tell if my head gaskets blown?

You'll have milky-white engine oil, but if its coming out of your overflow hose its not your head gasket.

CHANGE YOUR RAD CAP FOR A KNOWN GOOD ONE.

Do this one logical step at a time, and be a bit discriminatory about the advice you get on here.

Or........?

Look around the head and cylinder I have a 450 that did the same thing. No milky oils, tranny or motor just spit fluid. I noticed small anount of coolant right under exhaust. Changed head gasket no more problem.

You'll have milky-white engine oil, but if its coming out of your overflow hose its not your head gasket.

CHANGE YOUR RAD CAP FOR A KNOWN GOOD ONE.

Do this one logical step at a time, and be a bit discriminatory about the advice you get on here.

Or........?

Not true...a blown head gasket can be blown where it will pressurize the coolant system and not necessarily lek into the engine crankcase. Do a leak down/compression check of your cylinder and that will tell you what's up. ?

• Like 1

your kidding right?

Or........?

He says its coming from the overflow hose, the bike runs it just leaks off water. Theres a thing called logical sequence that some people use in mechanical troubleshooting, can we try it out sometime?

What I'm saying is check the radiator cap before he pulls the engine apart, it that OK with you guys, can he just try that first?

Just to make an old fart like me happy?

Can we start at point A before we go to point Z?

He says its coming from the overflow hose, the bike runs it just leaks off water. Theres a thing called logical sequence that some people use in mechanical troubleshooting, can we try it out sometime?

What I'm saying is check the radiator cap before he pulls the engine apart, it that OK with you guys, can he just try that first?

Just to make an old fart like me happy?

Can we start at point A before we go to point Z?

I understand what you are trying to do but the chances of a bad Rad cap are pretty slim. A bad head gasket will push coolant. the FIRST LOGICAL step here is to get a compression test done. That will tell the story....period.....and it won"t involve tearing the engine apart. ?

• Like 1

I understand what you are trying to do but the chances of a bad Rad cap are pretty slim. A bad head gasket will push coolant. the FIRST LOGICAL step here is to get a compression test done. That will tell the story....period.....and it won"t involve tearing the engine apart. ?

No, thats logical sequence step #2. Step one is the simplest and quickest is to just swap caps and go for a ride.