performance chip lol

I have a mate who thinks that there is a performance chip that can be 'put in' a 230f that will make it quicker! lol I have told him twice that no such thing exists, even telling him it isn't possible because the bike doesn't have a computer system, but I obviously don't have enough cred to persuade him. What do you think I should tell him to shut him up? :thumbsup:

damn whats in the water down there??

damn whats in the water down there??

Lol remember I'm the one who's asking for advice as to how I can talk some sense into him :thumbsup:

Maybe I should just roost him :thumbsup:

Lol remember I'm the one who's asking for advice as to how I can talk some sense into him :thumbsup:

Maybe I should just roost him :thumbsup:

take his CDI unit, slap a "________ performance" sticker on it, give it back and charge him for it, hehehe

There are different CDI units with different rev limit & spark advanced. This must be what he's refeing to.

Noticeable gains: no.

The spark advance gives gains if you put in a cam that will rev past 7k rpm.

Have a great 4th!

There are different CDI units with different rev limit & spark advanced. This must be what he's refeing to.

Have a great 4th!

Yes:ride:

Have a great 4th!

Please explain how it advances the spark..

The spark is picked up off the flywheel. The only way to advanced it would be to either move the pickup location, or change the magnet on the flywheel.

All an aftermarket cdi box does is increase the rev limiter..

If you do wanna advance your timing, its FREE... Just gotta have a dremel, and a little time

heres a guide for doing it on a crf50.. But it worked just fine on my 2005 crf 150f

http://www.***********/articles/mods/timing.asp

http://www.50 mods.com/articles/mods/timing.asp (thats the address, but remove the space.... TT dont allow that link for some reason)

Have a great 4th!

increases spark: wouldnt an iCat do that too?

My friend told me there was a chip available for his 230. You put the chip in the engine and you'll get an extra gear. To this very day he still thinks theres such a thing.:thumbsup:

My friend told me there was a chip available for his 230. You put the chip in the engine and you'll get an extra gear. To this very day he still thinks theres such a thing.:thumbsup:

its a miracle :thumbsup:

its a miracle :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::busted::cheers:

Please explain how it advances the spark..

The spark is picked up off the flywheel. The only way to advanced it would be to either move the pickup location, or change the magnet on the flywheel.

All an aftermarket cdi box does is increase the rev limiter..

If you do wanna advance your timing, its FREE... Just gotta have a dremel, and a little time

heres a guide for doing it on a crf50.. But it worked just fine on my 2005 crf 150f

http://www.***********/articles/mods/timing.asp

http://www.50 mods.com/articles/mods/timing.asp (thats the address, but remove the space.... TT dont allow that link for some reason)

The flywheel lets the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) know where the engine is at & it's RPM (angular velocity). With this info it decides when to spark. The spark does not come directly from the flywheel it comes from a coil/capacitor when the CDI says so. Some after market boxes let you choose from as many as 8 different ignition maps. Maybe more is available I'm not up on them.

With the after market for these play bikes they "supposedly" map the ignition to work better if you have a racey cam. It'd be nice if someone could put the maps on a spread sheet for comparison.

I'll try to find a link that explains this.

:thumbsup:

OK make that 10 ignition maps to choose from.

Vortex makes one for KTM 4 strokes with 10 maps: http://www.vortex-performance.com.au/prod02.htm Nice set up. They even have a switch on the handle bar so you can pick one for low end torque & one for high end.

Some people rave about these things. I have not tried one. It would be nice to just flip a switch & feel the difference.

OK make that 10 ignition maps to choose from.

Vortex makes one for KTM 4 strokes with 10 maps: http://www.vortex-performance.com.au/prod02.htm Nice set up. They even have a switch on the handle bar so you can pick one for low end torque & one for high end.

Some people rave about these things. I have not tried one. It would be nice to just flip a switch & feel the difference.

buuuut doesn't the KTM use a CDI ignition, which probably reads a crank angle sensor or cam angle sensor and says when to sparl? whereas a honda trail bike uses a pickup ignition (dunno what its called im not a pro, I just look at stuff and try to figure out how it works lmao) and picks up its fireing time directly off the flywheel..?

Honestly I dont know about the new 150's or 230's they might be CDI for all I know lol, but I know on my 2005 150f, a rev box could NOT advance the timing, since there is no real CDI.. Just a rev limiter that passes the spark along... If it was going to advance, it would have to 'predict' where the pickup on the flywheel is and tell it when to spark.. Which is physically impossible i'd say

but im just taking shots in the dark..

I'm like you, not a pro but try to figure stuff out. These bikes have CDI. Check your service manual. Honda calls it a Ignition Control Module (ICM). Everyone else seems to call it CDI. Just about every after market CDI claims to have a "hotter/better" advance curve. The CDI (black box under the number plate) controls the ignition timing.

Not sure if you're thinking of points but there is a ignition pulse generator that sends it's electons to the CDI which sends that to the ignition coil. Yep, you made get out the service manual.

Any ways, back on topic. There's not truly a chip you can replace & get more power. There are CDI modules that you change the advance curve but this will not increase the bikes power. Advancing the timing is for getting more peak HP & the stock cam just doesn't let you get the rpms you need to benefit from more advanced timing. IMO. Other mods need to be done for that. If anything it might cause detonation but I have not heard of anyone having troubles with that.

Like I said before it'd be nice to see them on a spread sheet side by side to see how much more advanced it is.

This is how I understand it but I could be mistaken on part or parts of it.

Your right on target Toast. Back in the day when cars ran points I did alot of re-curves by changeing springs and weights. On a stock engine the change had little effect if any at all. Add a cam, carb and other mods there was nice improvement with a re-curve. Those were the days.

I have knoow specific knowledge on this model but most all modern bikes are fired by a pulse coil that is fixed/bolted to the case alined with a block of metal on the flywheel. This sends a signal to a black box, mounted under the tank, steering head, air box, wherever Honda found space. The black box has a delay factored in that can be altered at different RPMs/ throttle positions (does this model have a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the carb?) On some bikes the black box can be changed to one such as a MX model to get a more agressive advance curve. If you start buying black boxes for different models you will go broke long before you have some good feedback to post. There is a company called Vortex that does this for you

Thanks Dave!

No TPS.

I put Doritos in mine and it ran great.

What's the rule about drinking & posting?