Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF250X pink wire & difference

I recently did the airbox mod and cut the pink wire but it seems like I lost a little bit of the grunt the bike had since I cut the pink wire.

Prior to cutting the pink wire my bike seemed to pull alot harder. I have a FMF powerbomb header, R exhaust, Boyseen quickshot and I have changed the jetting to specs posted here. It just seems like I lost something when I cut the pink wire, does this make sense to anyone or have you had a similar experience?

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=44193garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=44194

What happens if you plug back the wire? Are you sure this is related to the pink wire?

I would put it back and see if it makes a difference and if it doesn't than you can move on and check something else.

Could be in your head.. But I did the mod like you and I didn't notice a thing.. I have it on a switch and it is hard to tell.. I don't know if it is in my head or not..

I also hear you have to have the R Cam shaft as well as the header and air box mod's for the full effect of the Pink Wire...

P.S. Nice Bike! :thumbsup:

when you cut the pink wire, doesn't it access the ignition mapping of the R? if so, I think it would be better than the mapping of the X...

It might be in my head; Maybe I expected sometinhg dramatic and without the cam change it might not make a difference that is noticeable.

I am going riding tomorrow so I will plug it back in and see if I can notice a difference. Thanks for the replies.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it raises the rev limiter... so you probably have to be quite high in the revs to really notice anything, which I seldom ride at for extended periods!

Let us know how the ride went!

^^ yes, it does also raise the rev limiter to the 13140 rpms of the R, so to get the full benefit, you probably would need the R cam because the profile better fits the ignition mapping/more revs

I agree... without the R cam (or a hot cams stage1) you will not get the full benefit of the pink wire mod. By removing the pink wire you will allow the bike to rev about 500 rpms higher than before.

later... Van

I'm not sure about the wire, but i am %100 sure that you have that front number plate on incorrectly

Like the white plastic on your bike--looks cool. I've found the effect of disconnecting the pink wire is kind of subtle---you don't notice much difference in the rev ceiling without other mods that make it rev higher, but it feels like it revs faster from down low, somewhat like an R. This gives the X a racier feel, but can be more challenging when on tighter trails in the lower gears. I'm using an FMF Powercore slip-on and a JE high-compression piston, which contributes to the faster reving too.

What part of Virginia are you in? I'm near Roanoke. Do you ride any of the VCHSS or VXCS harescrambles? The X is awesome for those kind of events. Maybe we could do a ride sometime--drop me a PM.

I got rid of the number plate and went back to the light. How was it on incorrectly?

As for the difference in the pink wire.... I replaced it when I went riding last time and I personally do not notice the difference and it most likely because I don't have the R type cam.

The jetting is spot on as far as I can tell. That was the biggest difference I noticed besides sound of any mods I have done. I am seriously debating the Cam change but I haven't made the leap yet.

I got rid of the number plate and went back to the light. How was it on incorrectly?

As for the difference in the pink wire.... I replaced it when I went riding last time and I personally do not notice the difference and it most likely because I don't have the R type cam.

The jetting is spot on as far as I can tell. That was the biggest difference I noticed besides sound of any mods I have done. I am seriously debating the Cam change but I haven't made the leap yet.

Get the Cam with the Hi Comp Piston... you will be VERY happy! :thumbsup:

I am a tight a$$ ... did all the free mods and these things go like the clappers

Ride with people who have spent serious dollars "modding" their steeds and in a straight line down the bitium drag race not a lot in it ...

Sometimes I will be in front until top end when the "cam" takes over ..

Others I will be behind then I will take over ...

Overall in a 1 kilometer ( approx. ) straight line drag no real discernable differences - DIFFERENCES mearsured in approx 5 to 6 bike lenghths AT TOP SPEED ( 120 KPH measured ) ... off road well thats a whole different story ... thats mainly rider skill IMHO when comparing the same bike ( mods included ) or even different brands ...

What usually messes up a bikes potential is the restrictive "emmission control" fudges to pass some arbitarially unrealistic setting ... ie uncorking !!

CRF 250 X - hack the airbox - 11/16" up the clacker - rejet - adjustable fuel screw - and hang on !!!

Then fiddle fart with suspension ... tyres .... and other bits as takes your fancy ...

Cam won't do a lot unless you do the air box and uncork exhaust or - heaven forbid - replace with an after market effort

A friend went through above and was a slight impovement ... I am 20 kg's lighter and he is now able to level peg in a drag race on bitium up to approx 120 K's when we run out of straight road ....

When I only did the pink wire mod alone, I found a big improvment when riding mx. I could come out of corners faster and clear jumps I could not do before. What I would do if I were you is rig up a switch like this to turn on and of your pink wire.

openairbox2.jpg

It's the black switch siting on the front right side of the subframe.

You can turn it on and off when I feel like it, and then you can quikly compare what it feels like both ways. With my R cam and the pinkwire mod it seems like it lost alot of bottom and hit's hard as hell on top so I don't use the pink wire mod much anymore unless I can put the power to the ground. But it is a good mod if you don't have the R cam.

Just one more thing to ad. THAT BIKE LOOKS GREAT just next time put your numberplate down lower.