Sign in to follow this  

Hey Gary - Lower Suspension?

Gary - and anyone else with experience, not just an opinion, I'm looking into lowering my suspension. I'm 5'5" and weight 170, ride an 2006 KX250F and do mostly track, but some trail riding. I just feel like the bike is sooooo tall when I'm cornering. I've had my suspension done by a reputable tuner and it works awesome, I just wish I was lower to the ground in corners. I already have the Pro Circuit lowering link, which brought the back end down about 3/8". I'm a solid C rider and improving pretty quickly.

Do the shorter top MX'ers have their bike lowered? First person that comes to mind is RC, as we're about the same height. Thanks for any help.

There's a photo somewhere w/ RC behind his zuk and if I'm not mistaken the seat is like up to his stomach and I don't think it's on a stand - dude needs/uses every bit of travel. I know a guy locally, pretty decent rider (faster than me) that is about your height and rides a non-lowered bike and does fine w/ it. I know he starts off of a crate/block/something.

im 5'5 also and weigh 108 pounds lol. i felt the same way you did at first. i cant even touch the ground on my bike, let alone kickstart my 02 yz250f without leaning against a tree. my suspension is set up for a 150 pound rider wich means its stiff as shit for me. but after a few rides i feel completely comfortable on it. on the berms just drop the bike really low so ur foot can touch the ground =P

I would try lowering your seat first (a step seat). You can have the suspension lowered but it becomes very difficult to set up right (the valving becomes very sensitive and difficult to adjust. Try the step seat; it makes a big difference. You can do it yourself with an electric carving knife. :thumbsup:

I'm 5'5", 150lbs on a ktm 250. I shaved the seat, raised the forks a tad, and removed some pre-load on the suspension, little too much now that she's broken in. BUT, it works enough to get me flat footed on one side. Almost tippy toe on both sides.

n123300259_30118402_956.jpg

I'd start with shaving the seat, I used a rasp/file and shaved it down. See how much that helps. :thumbsup:

Be careful not to shave to much it makes it hard to get up cloce to the tank

Be careful not to shave to much it makes it hard to get up cloce to the tank

Plus it affects the seat -> bar feel and can make the bike feel "chopperish".

We lowered by son's RM85 for offroad racing. As Gary mentioned, adjusting the suspension becomes a bit more difficult. Just a click on either the rebound and compression have a bigger effect on the bike.

Luckily he hit a growth spurt and we haven't had a problem with the full size bikes.

I had my G/F's 250X lowered internally 2" with spacers and I cut the seat 1 1/2" myself with an electric carving knife then sanded it. Raised the forks 7mm also. So now the bike is lowered 3 1/2". She is 5'4" and it is perfect for her now. Not flat footed but can touch very well.

I would try lowering your seat first (a step seat). You can have the suspension lowered but it becomes very difficult to set up right (the valving becomes very sensitive and difficult to adjust. Try the step seat; it makes a big difference. You can do it yourself with an electric carving knife. :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, and everyone else. I'm going to go with a step seat first and see how that goes. Next step would be to call Factory Connection, but my guess is it would be some big $$.

Appreciate the responses.

I'm 5'5", 150lbs on a ktm 250. I shaved the seat, raised the forks a tad, and removed some pre-load on the suspension, little too much now that she's broken in. BUT, it works enough to get me flat footed on one side. Almost tippy toe on both sides.

n123300259_30118402_956.jpg

I'd start with shaving the seat, I used a rasp/file and shaved it down. See how much that helps. :thumbsup:

THis bike looks like it's lower well without getting to involved; things you can do yourself. If you need it even lower I'd call Factory COnnection. :thumbsup:

I'm 5'5" and in the 155-160 lb. range (in my boots :thumbsup: ) and my son is probably 5'3" or so and maybe a buck 25 or so. We both ride full size bikes (him: RMZ250, me: YZ250F and CR250). I bought used seats off Ebay and shaved them down for woods riding for all three bikes. However, we never use them. My son stays to MX and just doesn't need it. He uses one "block" on the gate and that's it. I still plan on trying my "step" seat that I made for my CR when I ride it on technical trails. As far as the comment that it's harder to get up on the tank for turning....there may be some truth to that. However, it also offers a feeling of a lower center of gravity when sitting, which can inspire confidence. You could also argue that it makes it a longer motion to go from sitting to standing.

My best advice is to get a used seat and modify it. That way if you don't like it, or you get more confident and want to go back to the stock seat, or if you want to switch seats for different riding conditions and styles, you will have both.

I know that Ryan Villopoto has his subframe cut. My friend had his 06 and 07 Kx250f cut I think a 1/4 inch and he said it helps alot. The only hard part about that is getting the exhaust to line back up.

I am only 5ft4 and I am going to have my 06 kx250f cut also.

There's a photo somewhere w/ RC behind his zuk and if I'm not mistaken the seat is like up to his stomach...
...Do the shorter top MX'ers have their bike lowered? First person that comes to mind is RC, as we're about the same height. Thanks for any help.

I am no expert, and don't ride mx, but at the MC show last winter there were a couple of RCs old bikes - all kinds of interesting things done to to - certainly looked to me like the bike was lowered.

I am not tall and had mine lowered for trail riding - now it feels more like a bmx bike, very "flickable".

Just spoke with Factory Connection. Asked the guy specifically about RC, and he suggested that he does not lower his suspension, but does run a lot of sag - 115-118mm. The guy also suggested the other items mentioned above - shave seat, raise forks... So I'll pass on lowering the suspension and do the above instead, and work on technique. In the end technique is what's most likely holding me back.

im 5' 5'', and ride a crf250r.. my sag is set at 4'', which makes it almost tip-toe-able for me, and for corners, i generally slide to get it down lowww

Just spoke with Factory Connection. Asked the guy specifically about RC, and he suggested that he does not lower his suspension, but does run a lot of sag - 115-118mm. The guy also suggested the other items mentioned above - shave seat, raise forks... So I'll pass on lowering the suspension and do the above instead, and work on technique. In the end technique is what's most likely holding me back.

Cool; I agree. Like I mentioned before lowering the actual suspension components gets very tricky.