Setting up a toolbag for woods riding

On a 95 CR250.

Any advice. I know I could come up with the basics but I would like to hear your stories of maybe something that saved your ass.

My goal is to fit it in my toolbag (rear fender mounted) that came off my DRZ motard.

in my tool bag i carry a frederette multi wrench that works for both axles and the spark plug, a 8, 10, 12mm wrench, a small adjustable wrench, a #2 phillips and flat screw driver, standard pliers, 2-8" tire irons. i also carry a tube of MSR puddy, a roll of race wire, roll of black tape, spare master link, spark plug, and a suture kit. the MSR puddy is a must have for off road riding in my opinion, it has saved my buddy ass on two occasions when he went down on his crf450x and his brake pedal went through the clutch cover.

in my tool bag i carry a frederette multi wrench that works for both axles and the spark plug, a 8, 10, 12mm wrench, a small adjustable wrench, a #2 phillips and flat screw driver, standard pliers, 2-8" tire irons. i also carry a tube of MSR puddy, a roll of race wire, roll of black tape, spare master link, spark plug, and a suture kit. the MSR puddy is a must have for off road riding in my opinion, it has saved my buddy ass on two occasions when he went down on his crf450x and his brake pedal went through the clutch cover.

The only other things I carry is a few misc. nuts and bolts (8, 10, 12), a pair of needle nose pliers and vise grips have come in handy a few times when attempting to straighten parts.

This is a good list going. I may be able to fit all that in there with some carefull packaging. :thumbsup:

Put your cell phone in a baggie, it really gets scratched up. I learned this the hard way.

Put your cell phone in a baggie, it really gets scratched up. I learned this the hard way.

ya my samsung is really bad :thumbsup:

all silver and used to be black!!!

Quick Aluminum is invaluable for plugging holes in radiators and I also carry a combo set with stubby ratchet with an assortment of sockets, nutdrivers, screwdrivers and allen wrench bits. It's only about 4"x3"x1".

Oh yeah, if you can refrain from eating them...snack-size bag of Lay's potato chips...great fire-starter. And I.D.

I have a MSR Fanny Pack mounted to the Front Fender/Number Plate of my CR500 (It does not move)

DSC01231.jpg

Sockets 8mm-14mm

All 16'ths (cresent wrench)

1/4 DR Ratchet

1/4 DR 6" extension

Tire Iron

Spyderco fully serrated knife

Leatherman

Plugs

Zip Ties

Common and Phillips Screw-sticks

Tire Patch Kit

Epoxy for rad damage

Mini-Mag Light

Wax String

F-4 Tape

Plug Wrench

I opted for the front fender. Why? I did not want something in the way in case I have to launch my ass back on the rear fender.

I have a MSR Fanny Pack mounted to the Front Fender/Number Plate of my CR500 (It does not move)

I opted for the front fender. Why? I did not want something in the way in case I have to launch my ass back on the rear fender.

Funny.... If I had a 500, I would have opted for it on the rear fender to help keep my a$$ on the bike...

Funny.... If I had a 500, I would have opted for it on the rear fender to help keep my a$$ on the bike...

Excellent point! Hmmm....a trailpack/sissy bar combo configuration...:thumbsup:

lol, I am not the biggest guy out there so If I put this bag on the rear fender I don't think it is gonna be in my way.

I like the trailpack sissybar combo though. :thumbsup:

Here is a pic with the bag just sitting on there.

179748.jpg

If you cant hang on to it....you have no business being on it.:thumbsup:

Honestly, I have ridden a bike with a tool back on the rear fender. I didn't dig it. I think its all preference really.

Your bike looks pretty nice Mr. Black!

I mounted one on the rear fender on my 500 too. Bought a $10 Bell bike bag, cut the straps off, put a steel bar inside and drilled through the bar, bag, and fender. A couple 10mm bolts with loctite on the nuts and it worked perfect and carried all the tools I ever needed.

Plastic001.jpg

Even when leaning far back it never got in the way.

z1a.jpg

i also use a bell bike seat bag. i took off the plastic mounting thing and zip tyed it to the right side of the handlebars. never gets in the way and is perfectly stationary. i can fit a BR9EIX, 13/16ths plug socket, regular head screwdriver(for the air screw and for the plug socket) and my cellphone in the exterior pocket(which is waterproof and padded so my new MOTOSLVR wont die) so far i havent found a problem with it.