Sign in to follow this  

camping info for Kennedy Meadows

We are thinking about going to Kennedy Meadows fri. the 6th until sunday. We have never been there. What are the options for places to camp? Is it by reservation or first come first serve? Does anyone have contact info for the area so I can call? Are we crazy to go this weekend because of it being really busy? Any info would be great.

Unless something unusual happens you will not be able to be able to get into the main part of the campgrounds where the fire rings, tables, and food lockers are. They do have overflow areas, but these are little more than a place to park.

In over 20 years of going up there I have never camped in the developed campgrounds. The last think I want it to be packed in and listening to generators. I just go to one of several spots out in the forest that are on a bike trail.

cleonard is right on. The camp grounds are no doubt already full and are pretty close quarters...not like an RV park, but close. "Distributed" camping is permitted, and is really the better option, as the campgrounds don't have hook ups anyway (though they do have potable water from spigots and, I believe pit toilets). If you are self contained, or comfortable pooping behind a tree, there are hundreds of options just of the road.

Thanks you guys. So it is ok to camp pretty much anywhere? I am planning on meeting someone down there is there a store near by or any other good land marks that are easy to find and use as a meeting spot?

We "group up" at the shell station in Pearsonville. It's about a mile south of Nine Mile Canyon Rd (the turn off to KM from Hwy 14). That assumes you are coming from the South. The benefit of grouping up before you hit the hill is that if anyone has trouble heading up (ie overheating or a flat), they are not alone.

Anyone else with a good meeting spot. Something close to where we might camp. Part of the group will becoming from the north on hwy. 395 and the other from the south from San Diego.

Will some one who has been there before give me another idea of a meeting spot? Please.

Thanks you guys. So it is ok to camp pretty much anywhere?

Yes, but no fires except for a small number of "fire safe areas." If you do have a fire anywhere but one of those fire safe areas and the rangers find out you will get a BIG fine.

The other issue is that OHV can ONLY be used on the approved trails. You can not go down any dirt road to reach the trails. That means that you have to find a camp spot that is actually on the trail. This is not that easy to do.

There is a General Store at Kennedy Meadows located at the "Y" (Sherman Pass Rd. and Kennedy Meadows Rd.) where you stay left for the final climb on Sherman Pass Rd. It's also the last place to access a public telephone. It's about another 10 miles up the hill to most of the campsite areas. (Fish Creek, Troy, etc.)

Google Earth (coordinates)...36 0108.02N 118 0724.95W General Store

+1 on the Pearsonville Gas station. We rally there (top off with gas) and climb together.

35 4755.01N 117 5218.76W

There is a General Store at Kennedy Meadows located at the "Y" (Sherman Pass Rd. and Kennedy Meadows Rd.) where you stay left for the final climb on Sherman Pass Rd. It's also the last place to access a public telephone. It's about another 10 miles up the hill to most of the campsite areas. (Fish Creek, Troy, etc.)

Google Earth (coordinates)...36 0108.02N 118 0724.95W General Store

+1 on the Pearsonville Gas station. We rally there (top off with gas) and climb together.

35 4755.01N 117 5218.76W

Great information and the General Store is a good place to meet only if everyone knows where it is.

I'll 2nd the Pearsonville Gas Station for the same reasons as above plus we also grab an extra bag or two of ice there. That's where we're meeting tomorrow at 8:00 AM to start our three days of fun at Kennedy Meadows.

Yes, but no fires except for a small number of "fire safe areas." If you do have a fire anywhere but one of those fire safe areas and the rangers find out you will get a BIG fine.

The other issue is that OHV can ONLY be used on the approved trails. You can not go down any dirt road to reach the trails. That means that you have to find a camp spot that is actually on the trail. This is not that easy to do.

This raises a question I have about riding unplated bikes on roads in the nf. Does it depend on which nf. I was ds riding yesterday in the tahoe nf and was stopped making an adjustment on the side of the road. A ranger stop to see if I was alright. As I was chatting with her about the b.s. fire rescrictions a bunch of quads came wheeling by. I didn't bother to ask the her, but was curious to the rules.

Pearsonville to General Store...27 miles. 3,708 foot climb.

General Store to Troy Overflow...10 miles. 1,642 foot climb.

Troy Overflow elevation is 7,797 feet...no wonder I get my arse handed to me on those trails.:thumbsup:

This raises a question I have about riding unplated bikes on roads in the nf. Does it depend on which nf. I was ds riding yesterday in the tahoe nf and was stopped making an adjustment on the side of the road. A ranger stop to see if I was alright. As I was chatting with her about the b.s. fire rescrictions a bunch of quads came wheeling by. I didn't bother to ask the her, but was curious to the rules.

Go to the Blackrock Ranger Station and ask about a fire permit (you need one anyway) and they can tell you what restrictions are currently in place for fire pits.

I rode my unplated bike on the paved road (just to catch another trail) and the Rangers didn't seem to mind. There are trails where you must cross the roads so they seem pretty relaxed by it as long as you're not abusing it I guess. There are so few vehicles/people up there (compared to an OHV park) that as long as you demonstrate a respect for people's safety, you'll be good to go.:thumbsup:

I rode my unplated bike on the paved road (just to catch another trail) and the Rangers didn't seem to mind. There are trails where you must cross the roads so they seem pretty relaxed by it as long as you're not abusing it I guess. There are so few vehicles/people up there (compared to an OHV park) that as long as you demonstrate a respect for people's safety, you'll be good to go.:thumbsup:

The forest policy up there is zero tolerance for non street licensed OHV anywhere other than the designated trails. Not every ranger is a law enforcement oriented so may let it pass.

I got a ticket for green sticker on the road. One rider in our group had crashed that day. He had a seperated shoulder that luckly poped back in on it's own. He was in a lot of pain so I led him back to camp on the road. The other riders in the group had no knowledge of the area so they all followed. I got the ticket because I led them. Not for the guy who was hurt, but for the others.

I'm sure that I could have fought it and won, but at only $100 is was much less expensive just to pay it.

The main Sherman Pass road is different. There you can get caught by the Highway Patrol or the Sheriff. Either will slam you with the full $2000 set of violations. No insurance is the big one ($1200), but the registration and equipment violations add up too.