Sign in to follow this  

New Rider, New Bike, New Noise?

Hey everyone. I just bought a new 2006 DRZ400-S and have had the most fun 2 weeks in at least a year. I've got 650 miles on it, mostly dirt riding and a new sound is developing. Whenever I let off the gas I get a clank from the rear end. Also get this noise repeatedly when I lug the motor or hit the gas in too high a gear. My guess is the chain may have stretched a bit?

Also, any advise on riding pants and/or gear? I ride a 30 mile dirt trail to work and want to shed an overlayer so I'm not muddy in the office.

Thanks

Check the slack in the chain, if there is too much slack, it will be bouncing around and hitting the guard, swingarm, ect. Have you thought about some lightweight rain gear type of coverup? I think proper riding pants, pads, knee pads, ect. are a must, but a light weight rain type of overpant might work for you! Good luck, :thumbsup:

I found the Fox racing 360 jacket to be a nice over jacket , has some padding on back and in shoulders along with lots-o-venting , comfortable even at 90 deg here in CA. Also Tech 2's <shoes in pack> have already paid for themselves

Hey everyone. I just bought a new 2006 DRZ400-S and have had the most fun 2 weeks in at least a year. I've got 650 miles on it, mostly dirt riding and a new sound is developing. Whenever I let off the gas I get a clank from the rear end. Also get this noise repeatedly when I lug the motor or hit the gas in too high a gear. My guess is the chain may have stretched a bit?

Also, any advise on riding pants and/or gear? I ride a 30 mile dirt trail to work and want to shed an overlayer so I'm not muddy in the office.

Thanks

Probably 'drive-line snatch'. It is the combined free-play in the entire drive line system (tranny, clutch, chain, etc)

Thanks for the input. What you call 'drive-line snatch' sounds about right. Hard to tell exactly where the metal-on-metal snap is coming from.

William1

I havn't fully reved it yet (at least not intentionally) until I break it in some more. I'm working on not lugging, usually happens right after some suprise in the trail has me hit the brakes hard.

If you have more than 50 miles on it, you have it fully broken in.

Make sure your CS sprocket is tight. See the thread in the "look here before....." at the top of the forum.

Lugging is travling in to high a gear, forcing the engine to operate at too low an RMP range. Down shift to stop the problem instantly!

[quote name= I ride a 30 mile dirt trail to work

Thanks[/quote]

Man! THATS AWESOME!!! What kind of work?

...Whenever I let off the gas I get a clank from the rear end. Also get this noise repeatedly when I lug the motor or hit the gas in too high a gear. My guess is the chain may have stretched a bit?

I had similar noise when I first got my new DRZ--happened whenever I got on the throttle OR got off the throttle. I'm pretty sure that it was caused by not being smooth enough with the throttle. After getting used to the DRZ I didn't have the noise anymore. Either it fixed itself or I got smoother on the throttle! I hope the same happens for you. :thumbsup:

BTW, highly unlikely the chain stretched in the time you have had the bike. What might have happened is that the rear axle wasn't mounted tightly against the cams and by normal riding the rear axle slipped forward slightly. If this is the case you can detect it by measuring vertical play of the chain (if it is greater than 2 inches then adjust it back into spec).

try frog togs rain gear great for light cover ups:ride: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cornerstone,

I work at a mine in Alaska outside of Fairbanks... It's 35 miles to work on pavement... 30 by trail / dirt road... woohoo!