Sign in to follow this  

PIston replacement?

I'm re-ringing my TTR230 before I sell it, and I'm trying to decide if the piston needs to be replaced. The bike has about 40 hours on it, and a month after dunking it, it started to smoke. From anyone I've talked to, it sounds like the cylinder wall is glazed and now the rings are not sealing properly. I have the engine apart now, and I don't see anything that I would consider scoring on the cylinder wall or piston. So my question is what would make you replace the piston, besides detonation, obvious mechanical damage or excessive carbon build up that you didn't want to remove.:thumbsup:

Thanks...

40 hours on that piston is nothing.

Get you a scotch brite pad to take of the glazing on the cylinder and put new rings and gaskets in it and be done with it.

40 hours on that piston is nothing.

Get you a scotch brite pad to take of the glazing on the cylinder and put new rings and gaskets in it and be done with it.

thats what i would do ^^^^

Well i'm going to re-hone the cylinder first, as there is no cross-hatching left. The reason I ask about the piston is that parts place highly recommended (of course), I said I don't think I needed, but the ordered it anyways and charged me for it.

Well i'm going to re-hone the cylinder first, as there is no cross-hatching left. The reason I ask about the piston is that parts place highly recommended (of course), I said I don't think I needed, but the ordered it anyways and charged me for it.

Did you run it with absolutely no oil :thumbsup: ?

Do the 230s have a nikasil liner? If so, honing it may not be a good idea.