Engine siezed today (99 xr250)

Today My cousin and I went out riding today, trail riding. The idea was to get a few hours of riding in and come home before the heat.

Well 10 miles into the trip my cousin is on a kdx i'm on the xr. He wants to go play on the main track there so i pull off the road and shut down the bike in some shade. He comes out, time to ride again, flip out the kick started and it doesn't budge an inch. I figure the kick starter is fux0red so i go to bump start it, NO DICE. It just locks the rear tire, the engine has siezed.

Oil is repsol non-synthetic, 1 ride old, new filter. Bike has oil. Bike didn't smoke, started this morning with 2 kicks and ran like a top until i turned it off in front of the track to wait for my cousin.

So question is, &%$#@! has just happened and why?

How much will it cost to fix?

any chance youi gota bad needle valve and flooded the engine- and the engine is hydraulic'd

pull the plug and see what happens

pulled the plug and it still doesn't crank :thumbsup:

could be that when you shut down the cam chain parted, that would explain the no oil smoke and bike had a fresh oil change. (not oil related) When a cam chain breaks valves contact the piston crown and thus the engine will not turn over. Also a ring may have broke but that would have smoked prior to shut down. Most likely a broken camchain.

Top end rebuild is easy to do. Replace all that you can afford while there, as a minimum, NEW gaskets, piston rings, camchain and valves & seals. Good time for a big bore kit if you are interested. Price your parts at bikebandit.com as an example to give you and idea of costs.

Take the cams and spark plug out (or pull the head) and see if it will turn over. This will let the valves come all the way up and never hit the piston, and you can visually see if any valves are broken or bent (badly) and stuck open. If it turns over, the valve train seized and you'll also need to check the piston for damage. If it doesn't turn over, the piston or bottom end seized.

A bit of work, but it seems like it'd be worth knowing what died in there.

A broken timing chain with no engine damage is about $15 for the part and a couple hours of wrenching to fix. A piston seizure isn't too bad - a few $hundred and waiting on the shop to do any cylinder work. Having to split the cases for a bottom end problem costs a bit more - mostly for labor. Valvetrain repairs can run from a few $hundred to around $1200 for a complete top-end rebuild. Replace the piston/rings/etc. if the piston has valve impact damage.

Best of luck with this.

if the cam chain siezed and did no damage ( i dont see how it could considering it broke when the bike was off, you're thinking 15 bucks?

How do i find out what's broken? How do i get to the cam chain?

I just realized that you didn't mention if the bike rolls in neutral or with the clutch pulled. (just checking on where it's seized)

Timing chain inspection:

Pull the valve cover off, look at the chain. Having a manual is almost a "must" at this point. You'll at least need the torque specs to put things back together correctly. The manual has great info on how to take the head and cylinder apart and how to inspect each piece.

The timing chain itself won't seize; it's not that strong. I'd be surprised if the timing chain broke with the engine off, but if it did as the other rider posted, then yes, a new chain is about $15. If it fell into the bottom-end, it might have jammed the crank which may be a good thing. You can fish it out and look in there with a flashlight to see if the crank sprocket or anything else is damaged. While you're in there, look for a broken chain adjuster or guide. Maybe something bent or broke off in a position that's keeping the engine from turning. You'll need to do some wrenching and and re-adjusting your cam timing to get the bike running again, as long as there isn't any piston or valve damage.

My personal guess is you have a piston seizure from overheating. That still isn't too bad as far as failures go, and saves the hassle of valve work. If it's that, you can handle the tear-down and assembly in your garage without any exotic tools. I'd have a shop bore/hone the cylinder as necessary as it's generally a better finish than one done by hand.

I suppose it comes down to how comfortable you are working on your bike, or if it would be better to hand it over to a shop and get an estimate. Many places will give you credit for the tear-down if you have them do the repairs.

I really dont think the bike overheated. It was probably in the low 70's, and the bike had been cooled down for 10 minutes and then i started it up, drove to the track (<1 min) and turned it off. I turned it off with the kill switch. After that it was no more.

Took the head off, or whatever it's called the very top of the engine.

The bike turns freely now, everything looks relatively clean. Any ideas? Cam chain is beautiful.

Maybe your kick starter jammed up and was locking the engine somehow.

Examine your valves and see if the top of the piston has been hit by a valve.

If not, put it back together and start it up.

FIXED! Thanks to all for the suggestions.

It was quite simple. I pulled the head and the kick starter spun. So i payed attention to everything, cam chain looked good, then i noticed the cam was kind of moving up and down, hmmm. I looked around and discovered a nut had wedged itself right under the cam and when it went around was touching the cam and causing it to lift. With the head on this would make it stop.

Guess where the nut came from?

THAT's RIGHT THE VALVE ADJUSTMENT NUT!!!! color me embarrassed.

Lesson learned.

Shit... how tight are they supposed to be? I just got done adjusting mine last night and put in a new plug and it seemed to have helped it a WHOLE lot... but I didn't torque the locknuts, just tightened them with a boxed wrench, pretty tight... but they were very tight to begin with, I used a socket.

??? should I make sure they're real tight?

yeah i dunno, i thought i wrenched them on pretty good. sigh.

Good for you NO damage is the best result you could hope for.

Its hard to remember to always use a torque wrench !!!

Even I get lazy sometimes and pay for it later.

Woot! Nice catch! :thumbsup:

FIXED! Thanks to all for the suggestions.

It was quite simple. I pulled the head and the kick starter spun. So i payed attention to everything, cam chain looked good, then i noticed the cam was kind of moving up and down, hmmm. I looked around and discovered a nut had wedged itself right under the cam and when it went around was touching the cam and causing it to lift. With the head on this would make it stop.

Guess where the nut came from?

THAT's RIGHT THE VALVE ADJUSTMENT NUT!!!! color me embarrassed.

Lesson learned.

Done the same thing where's it come off... or gotten very lose twice, both times it was tight. Usually ticks like mad when that happens though.

Whenever I do my valves I'm amazed at the torque that the lock nuts take. I'm not sure I'd have the confidence or the feel to torque them enough by hand.

A cheap clicker torque wrench is a big help for doing your valves. I bought mine for about 60-70 bucks. It's taiwanese, and certified to within 4%, complete with a small certificate that shows that some dude at the factory tested it at several torque levels, and what it actually was putting out.

Not the best, and you can go cheaper on a beam-type torque wrench, but I really have no confidence in those.

i have a torque wrench, i just dont use it or like it very much...

Maybe i'll start using it now, what is the torque spec for that nut?

Davidl9999,I agree on your breakfast of champions,although mine is coffee and hydrocodone 10-650,old army break to the L-4 lower back.But back to the moto stuff,Im not in any way shinning any negetive light on Cleoents problem,but,Ive put 8000 miles on my 99 XR250,since being in Panama using castrol semi syn 20w50 and changing at nmt 400 miles,and the only problem ive had was getting caught in a monsoon type of rain forest rain,and the engine started to sputter,It never died completly I did not walk!got home and put some silicone around the top of my plug wire and black taped up the I-cat,and that done it,the problem was the I-cat was touching the frame,I reached down and touched it with the motor running and felt a tingle,it produces so much spark that with water added into the equation,it was shorting to the frame,but its an after thought now.even in Panama type heat,my temp gauge has never gone over 250-275,but at my age,I may not push my motor as hard as the kids do,also keep in mind that its a 250 4-stroke,so I dont ride it like its a race bike.But dam its fun to weave in and out of grid locked traffic and get to my destination way faster than driving my suv or F150,and finding a parking spot is a breeze.I hope cleoents finds his problem to be a simple one.

Has any of your guy's bikes been hard to start after checking the valves and adjusting? Not as in the number of kicks but just, hard to kick?

Oh and in my manual, I dont think it lists a torque for the valve locknut...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kev_XR
      If you own an XR250, many of these tips will apply, however, the carburator jet sizes will be different.
      It really helps others answer your questions.
      I will fix them as time allows.
      Until then the Search Feature and enter "kevin's xr400 mods".
      The results will bring up most of the links.
      Here are some frequently asked questions I have answered before.
      Which XR should I buy?
      The longer the straights, the taller the hills, the deeper the sand; the bigger XR you want. The tighter the trail, the smaller hills, firmer terrain; the smaller XR you want.
      The XR400 has a great motor that will pull you almost anywhere. You can be sloppy on a hill climb on an XR400, where you have to keep the 250 singing. The XR400 weight is most noticable when you drop it or try to stop it going down a long downhill. (Moooomentum!)
      The XR250 feels like a mtn bike compared to the XR400. My friend rode his XR250 for years before decided he needed more power. Even then you can add a 300 kit and get good power.
      If you were heading to ride fireroads in Baja, I'd tell you to get the 600/650.
      To the tight woods, get the 250.
      A lot of both, the 400.
      Dual-sporting? Go bigger for more freeway, but don't show up at the trailhead with too big of a bike.
      All of the XR's are great. Pick the one that fits your needs.
      Gordon's Mods for XR400 (Uncorking the bottle up performance)
      Gordon's Mods for XR400
      XR400 History
      The changes to the XR400 have been listed here several times. This list appears to be complete.
      In addition, HairyScary discusses how to tell if a part has been updated by the part number. Good tip!
      XR400 history
      Getting the Spark plug out
      It seems the MotionPro spark plug socket does not work on the XR400R, but works on the XR250R.
      There is an OEM tool kit being sold on eBay that seems to work.
      717448 XR400 oil change
      Here is a way to make changing the oil much cleaner.
      This tips is really handy if you have a skid plate.
      XR400 oil change
      XR400 FAQ by Paul Gortmaker
      Paul usually has very good info.
      Small bolts
      BE CAREFULL with the bolts on the oil filter cover!
      An oil covered bolt will not torque at the same rate as a dry bolt.
      The friction doesn't build up, the force simply builds until the threads strip.
      This is the reason many people strip out these bolts.
      Here is an execllent website on bolts, oil, and misc values.
      Did you ever wonder why a 8mm box wrench is half as long as a 18mm box wrench?
      It is shorter as most 8mm bolts cannot take very much torque.
      I highly recommend getting getting an 1/4" socket set.
      I bought the Craftsman set at Orchard (owned by Sears), which tends to sell them for less.
      What is the Snorkle?
      This place has a description and pic, it's easy after you pull the seat. I siliconed a piece of coarse screen (fiberglass) over mine to keep bugs and stuff out. - NORTEXT
      717439 XR400/250 Pre-Filter
      After pulling the snorkle, there is a big hole on the top of your XR400. My friend showed me this prefilter trick.
      767409 XR400 Engine Bog, Pilot jet, and the Fuel Screw
      On XR400's twisting the throttle from fully closed to wide open will cause the engine to "bog" or in some cases die.
      Engine Bog, Pilot jet, and the Fuel Screw
      831305 Valve adjustment (Am I retarded...)
      Inspect and adjust valve clearance while the engine is cold (35C, 95F).
      Valve adjustment
      389095 bigger jets (Lists stock jet sizes.)
      96-97 XR400's were jetted assuming you would remove the intake and exhaust snorkel.
      98 and later XR's were jetted assuming you would leave them in.
      bigger jets
      739907 Cheap Tool for Setting the Fork Oil Height
      There are some really nice tools out there for doing this job.
      This tool costs $4.49 at Kragen.
      Cheap Tool
      392932 high altitude jetting
      There are two big factors for jetting, elevation and temperature.
      high altitude jetting
      Allen screws for the XR400 carb
      This lists the screws you need to convert the XR400 carb to use allen screws.
      Allen screws
      Screws for the brake and clutch after removing the stock handguards
      TBD - There is a post with the shorter screw part numbers for after the stock handguards are removed. Use search.
      Very quick engine hop up
      This is a very minimal change that should take less than an hour.
      Most of that time is removing the float bowl (3 screws).
      If you decide to do the full "Gordon's Mods" later, you will need to replace the jets again.
      o Pull the intake snorkle.
      o Add a UniFilter.
      o Pilot jet to 55, main jet to 155. (Assuming sea level and moderate air temps.)
      Source: Motocross Action magazine.
      Quick engine hop up
      Gordon's mods
      Baja Designs Baja Baffle with 96' spark arrestor.
      Pull the intake snorkle, UniFilter, 60 pilot jet, 162 main jet.
      (Depending on altitude and temp.)
      What to add to a new XR400 or XR250?
      Acerbis wrap around style handguards (saves levers and bars as they don't dig in)
      Baja Designs skid plate (Made by Utah Sports Cycle)
      Acerbis fork/disc protector
      Grease headset and rear linkage
      Spend you money on the suspension, not a pipe!
      First get some stiffer fork springs (96-97, 98-99 years)
      Fork revalve (cost: 2 qts of oil & time)
      Shock revalve (cost: oil, nitrogen, shim stack, friend who knows shocks)
      Jetting for Altitude (XR400)
      Assuming at sea level and 68 degrees, you would use a 60 pilot and 162 main.
      At 5000 feet and 68 degrees.
      Jettting correction:
      5000 feet and 68 degrees.
      Main 0.96 * 162 = 155 -> 155 main
      Pilot 0.92 * 60 = 50.6 -> 55 pilot
      Due to your elevation, you have less air and less fuel.
      Your bike will not behave the same as a bike at sealevel.
      First, check the fuel screw. If it does not affect the idle speed, you have the wrong one.
      kevin's xr400 mods
    • By Child
      Can we make a sticky thread of pictures? I've done search for pics but I want to see all sorts of bikes just for ideas on stuff without having to go through tons of threads. Not trying to sound whiny or anything, but I think it would be nice to do what they do in the CRF250X forums with a sticky thread of just pics, no comments or anything. Think we can get one of those rolling here?
    • By kawamatt2
      Ok guys, add one more to the list of riders attempting the USD fork swap to an XR frame. Quite a bit of research here on TT and ebay hunting brought me a pretty good deal on a set of forks, triples, and stem from a 00' CR 250.
      There are a few different options for adapting CR style forks to an XR. Bushings for upper and lower CR triples can be made to allow use of the stock XR stem. Specialty bearings can also be purchased to allow use of the stock CR stem in the XR neck. And finally what seems to be the most common; modification of the stock CR stem to allow use of XR sized bearings.
      I obviously chose to pursue the third option for a few reasons, the most prominent of which is serviceability. I wanted to keep as many wear items at possible as stock parts. This has two advantages; availability and price of replacement parts. $45 dollar a pop "specialty" thin section tapered bearings don't sound too appealing especially when being used on a 12 year old dirtbike.
      So now we can get to the meat of the issue; modification of the CR stem. I should begin by saying that i am NOT a draftsman. I've taken a few classes on engineering measurements but am far from an expert and probably only mildly proficient reverse modeling components. With that said, the first order of business was comparing an XR stem and bearings to a CR stem and bearings. Shown below.

A little closer look at the XR setup.

And the CR setup.

Now to get out the calipers and model up the stock CR piece. I used a cheaper set of calipers and suspect their tolerance is +/- .01mm. Good enough for gov'ment work though! All dimensions in millimeters.

Now to modify the CR stem to work with the XR bearings while remaining compatible with CR triple trees. There are a few things to say about why i did some things the way i did but most of the thoughts are included in the notes section of the drawing.

With a resized stem we run into the problem of mounting the top triple clamp. The hole is too large for the stem. An insert bushing must be made to resize the hole in the clamp.

Finally what the stem and bushing look like together.

Last one. The difference in how the top triple clamp is located on the stem. The CR is equipped with a chamfer that provides a stop for the tree while the XR's triple appears to be limited only by the threads for the castle nut.

So... would like to hear your opinions on the execution of the stem modification and bushing. I think having these drawings will make it simpler to have the modifications performed as opposed to asking the machinist to completely reverse engineer the part him/herself.
      And a final query: Anyone know the thread callout for the two threaded portion of a stock XR steering stem? My drawings show the outside diameter of the threaded portions and i have a cheap plastic pitch gauge that tells me a pitch of 1.0 but i am looking for something more concrete than what i have.
      Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
    • By ATJ_Number_1
      I'm on strike 2 here but thankfully this isn't baseball.
      The reasoning and my history. If you haven't figured it out yet I've done a crap load of work on these motors over the last 7 years but they have had 4 wheels around them. In the EX world there are a lot of carburetor options and although many are great there's a cheap alternative that runs 95% as hard as the high dollar options, some even liking it better then aftermarket. When I joined up here in the 2 wheel club I was shocked that the only accepted option was $400 for a 36mm Mikuni Pumper that isn't any bigger then stock! That cheap alternative for the EX is an 04-05 trx450r carb. It's 42mm round slide Kiehin piston-valve with accelerator pump and a mildly modded 400 loves it with a surprisingly strong bottom end yet. Yes I said 42mm!
      So as I build my XR4 I already know that I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I settled on a 36mm carb because I like bigger bores and cams and this motor likes bigger carbs. Makes sense, it is 400cc. Don't get me wrong though, the Mikuni is a real nice pumper for a stock bike and would seem fine on a well modded machine too but this 4 stroke is like every other one in the world in regards to when you go big inside, you want to go bigger outside or you're missing out.
      Whether the info is appreciated or scoffed at I'll post up my findings one by one as I try to find viable alternatives. When I say viable I mean still being able to use the stock environment and not needing a ton of work. I'm sure collectively this is not a new idea to search for such a beast but I enjoy a good project and I like cheap alternatives when they produce results.
      Currently the "test bike" is a 2000 Xr400r, snorkel removed, Uni filter, stock engine, stock headpipe and a 4" supertrapp slip-on with 11 discs.
    • By XL100allnightlong
      Just wondering if there is any tricks to polishing the stock headers on an 02 xr 400 to bring back the original copper color? If not ceramic coating them sounds like an option?