Hardest Decision of my Life

I recently crashed once again, same time last year i was sitting in a wheelchair due to broken hip and collarbone from a crash. But once again ive found myself sidelined due to an injury. I severly sprained my ankle and twisted my knee good enough to have to get it drained of all the blood that has built up inside of it. I go back tomorrow to get the rest drained and to see if i have any torn muscle or tissue.

My problem is that im 17 years old, ive broken both wrists(at the same time), hip, collarbone, wrist once again, leg, arm and numerous fingers and toes..they dont count though.

My dad has been through many accidents and at the age of 47 has a hard time walking due to having his hip replaced 3 times due to an accident where a driver cut in front of him on his streetbike.

Everyone around me that knows my dad and myself have been telling me that I should give up racing and riding to find another sport that I enjoy. I dont even crash that much, its when i do, i do it good unfortunately. So i just wanted to get some feedback from all you guys out there that have had to think of this issue because of families and such..

that sucks dude... i wouldn't say give up on riding but giving up on racing might be a good choice. what kind do you do?

I'm ride mostly on trails lately because of family concerns (I'm in my 40's now) and because riding with them is fun too - just not the same as landing a big double... Since I ride with them quite a bit, I wind up doing less extreme stuff simply because of the time spent with them. However, trails can be even more dangerous than tracks, and there's less chance of EMT assistance if you have a serious crash, so racing can actually be "safer" in some ways.

This isn't an injury/accident-free sport, as you and your dad are well aware of, but there are things that you can do to reduce your racing risks like having a coach and getting feedback on your riding style, track placement, or pre- and post-crash factors that contribute to the injuries that you've received. I'm assuming that you're physically fit for the sport, yet working with a coach can hone your fitness to improve your track performance and possibly reduce the likelihood of similar injuries.

As far as finding another sport that you like, that's a personal choice that I would hate to make myself. However, if there are life-factors that you value more than racing, you should be able to make such a transition without regrets. Good luck in whatever your choice is. :thumbsup:

I hear what your sayin,Im 42 just broke my foot. I probably wont work for the next month which for me means no income.Although my chic will handle our bills n such,It all makes one wonder if its worth it.I love ridin,all my friends,the sport in general.But after 36 years of doin this. what does one do golf?,fish,thats laughable.good luck tryin to figure it out.36 years later I havent got a clue...

that sucks dude... i wouldn't say give up on riding but giving up on racing might be a good choice. what kind do you do?

I agree, it might be time to play ride and let the body heal up. You are young and have a lot of LIFE left and it is best when your are healthy.

Good luck.

Paul

This is why it kills me, my friends are begging me to stay, my dad has taught me so much and i havent even thrown this question near him because he will be torn but i dont know what to do. I dont wanna be in a wheelchair in my early 40s i want to actually live life without worrying about how fragile i am and how dangerous everything around me is.

Just a point first: between age 14 and 25 is when we (as humans) fully recognize our mortality in the perspective of our environment and there's a generally noticeable decline in risky behavior in our early 20's. An individual can experience this somewhat earlier or later than average. So, it's reasonable and expected that sometime during one's prime racing development years, a rider will question the value of racing vs. other activities. Here's a (pretty weak) link on adolescent maturity and risk recognition, but there are some good references at the end: http://nursingworld.org/mods/mod993/printversion.pdf

OK, yeah, I went to school for that crap... psych lesson over. :busted:

What you say makes a lot of sense, particularly in the context of your age. I'd talk to your dad and a trainer. If you're concerned about you're 40's (and you should be), and it's a distraction to your racing, most trainers that I know would recommend that you don't race for safety reasons. The bottom line is that if a rider can't fully commit to completing a technical move such as a big double/triple or a difficult pass due to fear of injury or some other distraction, their injury rate and injury severity tends to go up. This is true for any sport, not just racing. (again, assuming they have the skill for it and aren't just being a dumass) :thumbsup:

The other thing is that racing is not really about your dad. Sure, he'll probably be disappointed if you decide not to race, or race a different class, but it's your body, not his that you're concerned about. Although your being successful in racing may (likely) be an extension of himself (yeah, more psych...), he's probably supporting your racing out of love for you, even if he doesn't recognize this himself. It's also a mature decision that you're making and I'd bet he'd be really proud to know that you're putting so much thought into it at 17, especially if you let him know how much you believe he's supported your racing. :thumbsup:

(I probably sound like someone's mom on that last part... hehe)

Talk to your dad about what you're thinking and see what he says.

Best regards, Dave.

This is also why you need to get disability insurance, both short and long term, and make sure your motorcycle insurance will cover all these bills.

My dad and I would go fishing at sea together. Heck you would think "what's so dangerous?" Well, the man can't swim and he was commanding his own 25-foot boat anyway. He told me that if he fell, to not jump after him and to let him drawn if that's what happened. Crazy, but when you have a passion in life... And we had great quality time at sea together.

As for making choices, there are many to make in life and deciding to go easy may be a wise thing for you, but you cannot become a couch potato either.

For instance deciding to ride on slower but more technical trails, like single trails, might be a great decision. That's the one I made. I also have a throttle stop in my right hand and I do not pin it anymore. Just not worth it.

There is also a good reason why so many 40+ decide to ride quads instead of dirt bikes.

Unless your racing puts food on the table................you may want to seek other forms of entertainment.

Unless your racing puts food on the table................you may want to seek other forms of entertainment.

x2

Like someone else said...there's nothing like nailing that double/triple and successfully pushing yourself...but when you're NOT successful... well...in the end, is it all worth it? I dont think you have to give up riding all together...but perhaps tune it down a bit, or ride trails. Yea...you can get hurt in the woods too, but if you're riding single track like the ones around here...I think the lower speeds (potentially, not in all cases, disclaimer said) result in less severe accidents. I have a blast in the woods...I like riding track too. It seems my crashes on the track are usually worse then my stupid bobbles and roll offs on the trail.

There is also a good reason why so many 40+ decide to ride quads instead of dirt bikes.

?? because they're completely retarded and trying to get killed? quads are way more dangerous at anything over a walking pace.

my advice is if you get hurt alot, do something else that hurts less. i don't race mx partly because there's just too much out of my control there, too easy to get hurt. in enduro, i only have to go as fast as i feel like, and take chances i'm comfortable with, and other people don't land on me in general.

at 45, i'm recovering from my first every injury (39 days off the bike so far, but who's counting). i think it's possible to ride alot and have fun and not get hurt, so i'm planning on doing that. i enjoy riding at the mx track, but there are definitely some jumps at some tracks that i'm just not gonna do, cuz the cost of failure is too high.

i've yet to actually tip over on an mx track. had a couple lowside washouts where i ended up on my feet and picked the bike back up, but never a real crash where i touched the ground.

Maybe ill do some harescrambles or something, something that is less dangerous and i have more control over.

My injuries dont stop me from doing big jumps or technical sections...sometimes that probably isn't a good thing. Little stupid things that send me to the emergency room is my problem

?? because they're completely retarded and trying to get killed? quads are way more dangerous at anything over a walking pace.

No, quads are usually less dangerous if you ride at a normal pace and wear proper equipment.

If you ride like a tard with sneakers and a baseball hat, you're looking for trouble.

No, quads are usually less dangerous if you ride at a normal pace and wear proper equipment.

my experience is exactly the opposite. it's a pretty common problem at work for people to roll quads and break bones, and they are riding at a leisurely and careful pace for transportation, not for sport and fun. quads look safe on the surface, but when things go wrong, they go way way wrong.

my experience is exactly the opposite. it's a pretty common problem at work for people to roll quads and break bones, and they are riding at a leisurely and careful pace for transportation, not for sport and fun. quads look safe on the surface, but when things go wrong, they go way way wrong.

I don't know, I have not seen a lot of quadders hurt, mostly two-wheel guys.

The one quadder I know who got hurt really bad was wearing no helmet nor boots, was drunk and got into a head-on with a mirror image of himself. Now he is not the same person.

Quads are dangerous because of the idiots on top of them.

When I see a big fat dude with a helmet riding a big fat utility quad, I don't feel that he is in a lot of danger, compared to a well-trained dirt rider who's wearing lots of protections and is going to pin it.

There is the speed element that plays a role. If you jump a quad at over 50 mph and case the landing, get ejected and crushed by your own ride, then of course...

I did not say I advise our friend to ride a quad, but if you just want to "ride something on a dirt road at a slow speed and with a certain level of security", then a big fat utility quad will do.

Otherwise we all agree about the quadtards, even serious quadders hate them.

I wish I was as fast as some of the 40 & 50 y/o that race hare scrambles in my area!!! Hell I ride with one guy that's 50+ and just got selected for the US ISDE team, he's stupid fast!!!

It's only a choice you can make man. You're the only one in your shoes... You're the only one that knows what you may want in your future and how not getting that may affect you. You obviously know the dangers of riding. You have to choose if you're willing to pay the consequences and move on with whatever you choose!!!

I'm 30 y/o... Two wasted knees. I quit jumping and now race hare scrambles and hare and hounds and enduros and am having more fun then I ever had at the track or in the desert jumping. Way more challenging and winning my race is way more rewarding then clearing some new double or triple. I got photos to prove I could do it!!! LOL

dont give up bro thats stupid, ride or die man, accidents are a big part of motocross

How many warnings do you need? You need to take it easy man.

I'm 35 and I have as a choice of activities: whitewater rafted, ridden motorcycles (street and dirt), Ocean Kayaked, skate boarded, roller bladed, oh hell the list goes on... know how many broken bones?.. Zero! You can do all the fun stuff you want but let off the gas a bit. Pushing yourself is great, pushing yourself over a cliff is not so good.

-Peter

Stop Racing and keep both wheels on the ground, and you're in good shape:prof:

Forget quads, its never going to happen