Sign in to follow this  

2004 YZ250 for Croom?

I'm looking at a nice used 2004 YZ for use in Croom type conditions (deep, sandy whooped trails) as well as near me in Florida with lots of roots. How would this compare to a 2007 suspension wise, handling, etc.? Isn't the engine identical? (It has a grarly & a Q on it).

Isn't the seat height lower, & by how much?

Anything to be on the alert for with a 2004?:thumbsup:

TIA!:thumbsup:

The suspension is pretty shite compared to the new models, expect to get a revalve. The bike is a little heavier than current models as well. Frame guards would be a good idea, too. Handling will mostly depend on your suspension, but it's pretty similar to the new models. And yea, the engines are pretty much identical. I just checked on the seat height and the yamaha spec says .1 inches lower. The ground clearance on the '04 is about half an inch higher though.

Engine wise... the 05 will feel a hair toquier because of changes to the crank, head and a different pipe. 06/07/08 will feel even slightly more torqier and snappier because of a even better pipe.

Suspension wise... The 04's biggist downfall will be the forks and slightly heavier overall feel. The 05 is slightly better suspended and is lighter but is still not the best. The 06/07/08 has the best suspension you will find on a 250/450 IMO in stock trim, once tuned in.

Riding in croom... I spent years riding the pit at croom and learned stuff that I feel gives me an advantage over other riders on the track. There is also one other person that spent years there and it shows... His name is RC (not you cannon lol). RC probably learned alot of his outdoor skills early on from riding that nasty pit as early as 60cc. Not many places get bumpier and nastyier than that pit.

The woods are good too but they are all 4 wheelered out.

The YZ250 is the best 2 stroke for crooms because of its high speed stability and the way the front end doesnt wanna tuck under you on the sandy burms (like other bikes might). My brothers 01 YZ250 (which had the same basic suspensions design as the 04, just slightly more out of date) did good at croom, but my 06 was better because it stayed higher in its stroke and road more on top of things (gnarly rockers and whoops to no end) instead of getting down into them where it can get nasty. Again, the 04 will be good, and depending on your level it might be all you need. But the 05 will be slightly better and the 06/07/08 will be the best, bare none.

OK, good info. I also have the option of spending $1,000 more and getting a leftover 2006. Figuring wear and tear on a 2004 and the suspension/frame advantages of the '06 should I spend the extra $$$$? I wouldn't mind a new bike...:thumbsup:

If I do go with the '06, are there any ~real~ advancements with the '07s I would notice at Croom or over roots? Would the stock tires be OK or do I need to at least put an S12 on the front?

For $1000 more, are you kidding? Get the new '06!

Suspension is a little better on the '07, and its got Pro Tapers stock. How much more would you have to pay for the '07? Gotta remember, as soon as you bring home the '06 its depreciated 2 years. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while I guess that's a moot point.

Stock tires suck front AND rear.

Get the 06 for sure if you can afford it. The 07 has a claimed few minor improvements in the suspension but its more of a marketing improvments than actual real world improvements. I couldnt notice them, and I'm picky as heck.

The stock rear tire 756 is a great tire for croom but wears quickly. The 7?? front tire is the worst tire you can use at croom, replace the front with a 756 and you will have a winning combo. I wouldnt use a mix/match Dunlop/michilen because michilens have a slightly different height profile. keep the tire brands matching to keep the bikes geometrics as correct as possible.

I use a 952 rear and a 756 front... its a great Florida combo that will last a long time. I would install a 756 front and then run the 756 rear untill its worn before replacing with a 952.. but thats me.

No, can't afford the '07, but it doesn't sound like much difference.

Good info on the tires, I didn't know about the height profile difference. And, the Dunlop is a tad less $$.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. See ya in a few weeks.:thumbsup:

The 04 will need 500.00 in fork work and not be as good as the 06. The grand here is a bargain.

If we were looking at 2-3K, then its a different story.

There is not one thing wrong with the 04. If I owned one I would not sell my soul to trade. A thousand difference between the two is worth it....even in resale value.

Update - there's a 2007 YZ250 in the garage tonight!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Engine wise... the 05 will feel a hair toquier because of changes to the crank, head and a different pipe. 06/07/08 will feel even slightly more torqier and snappier because of a even better pipe.

Suspension wise... The 04's biggist downfall will be the forks and slightly heavier overall feel. The 05 is slightly better suspended and is lighter but is still not the best. The 06/07/08 has the best suspension you will find on a 250/450 IMO in stock trim, once tuned in.

Riding in croom... I spent years riding the pit at croom and learned stuff that I feel gives me an advantage over other riders on the track. There is also one other person that spent years there and it shows... His name is RC (not you cannon lol). RC probably learned alot of his outdoor skills early on from riding that nasty pit as early as 60cc. Not many places get bumpier and nastyier than that pit.

The woods are good too but they are all 4 wheelered out.

The YZ250 is the best 2 stroke for crooms because of its high speed stability and the way the front end doesnt wanna tuck under you on the sandy burms (like other bikes might). My brothers 01 YZ250 (which had the same basic suspensions design as the 04, just slightly more out of date) did good at croom, but my 06 was better because it stayed higher in its stroke and road more on top of things (gnarly rockers and whoops to no end) instead of getting down into them where it can get nasty. Again, the 04 will be good, and depending on your level it might be all you need. But the 05 will be slightly better and the 06/07/08 will be the best, bare none.

smack on, upallnyt!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

same things goes with '05 YZ125 in comparison with 06/07/08 YZ125's :prof:

Update - there's a 2007 YZ250 in the garage tonight!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dude you bought my bike, went to the bank to get the check and it was gone... Just kidding, I bought the last 2006 from Martins in Ocala (saved 1000.00), and it's bad *ss. Changed the pipe to a FMF Gnarly for the Forest. IMO ya done good buyin the new versus the tired.

I'd like to try riding at Croom. I've only been to hardrock and Pax since I moved here. Enjoy the new pinger!