Sign in to follow this  

HELP!! Annoying idling problem on 2006 DRZ400e

Right, you clever people - fix this one!

New to biking so go easy on the technical jargon please!

When I start my bike from cold, the choke makes little difference, and I still need a slight twist of throttle to keep it going.

Also, and much more annoying, it seems to hold revs when the throttle is released - about 2000rpm - as though the cables are sticking on the throttle - checked these and they're as free as a bird. If I select a gear and slip he clutch slightly until it starts to get the gear, the revs will settle back to normal - it's especially annoying going down hills as it tends to push you down without real good slow speed control!!

Tried taking the carb off (FCR; 'middle' jet - 165, 'others' 45 and 65) and cleaning the jets - seemed to make no difference. The screw beside the jets which sticks through the base of the carb had worked all the way loose - had heard that this should be set 2 1/2 turns back from fully closed - though not even sure what it's for?

HELP I'm stuck!!

You have a clogged pilot jet. Clean it.

Replace the fuel screw (get amn extended one - Kientach) at the base of the carb. Make sure all the parts are there (screw-spring-washer-Oring). Set it to 2.5 turns out from gently closed.

No electrical jagon.

Remove the large nut on the bottom of the carb. In the center is the main jet. Just in front, inside the casting, is the pilot jet, Comes out with a screwdriver. You may find it easier to remove the carb to get at it, may help to remove the float bowl too.

OK - the carb's off at present. There's the big 165 in the centre that the slider rod comes through, the 65 and 45 either side of that, and a hole with gauze in it at the rear - which one?!! :thumbsup:

OK - the carb's off at present. There's the big 165 in the centre that the slider rod comes through, the 65 and 45 either side of that, and a hole with gauze in it at the rear - which one?!! :thumbsup:

The jets all apear to be clean and can be easily blown through

The 45 is the pilot. Make sure it is completely clean (use a magnifying lens) and the passageways too.

Also, while you have the carb off, there are two jets in the mouth of the carb, a Main Air jet (#200) and a Pilot Air jet (#100) make sure the pilot air jet and the passageways are clean.

I had a similar problem once (on an 'S') and it turned out to be the cable routing. Solved it by scrupulously following the cable routing diagram in the DRZ Service Manual (hidden in the back). The culprit in my case was that I had the cable with the right angle bend near the carb lined up with the frame when it should have been set 20 degrees to the right. Problem was worse if the steering wheel was at either lock.

I also thought the cables were "free as a bird" but it turned out that my bird was an ostrich! :thumbsup:

I had the same problem and Burned told me to clean the jets... fixed it perfectly. It was mainly the pilot jet causing the problem.

Also, I agree about the fuel screw that someone wrote. Get one that sticks out the bottom of the carb so you can mess with it. You can twist it in until your idle comes down (once you have it working properly).