Sign in to follow this  

Overjumping

I over jumped yesterday on my 125 badd. It was a 70 foot jump already and i jumped 95 (i counted) i was dizzy from the impact then ran over tires lining the track (still in 3rd gear) and got knocked out. Woke up and rode back (but i dont remember riding back) anyway i hit it pinned in 3rd gear and over jumped it about 25 feet. I held it pinned all the way up the face i didnt preload or anything (i think) when should i back off the throttal? id rather come up short than over jump again. So when should i let off?

I over jumped yesterday on my 125 badd. It was a 70 foot jump already and i jumped 95 (i counted) i was dizzy from the impact then ran over tires lining the track (still in 3rd gear) and got knocked out. Woke up and rode back (but i dont remember riding back) anyway i hit it pinned in 3rd gear and over jumped it about 25 feet. I held it pinned all the way up the face i didnt preload or anything (i think) when should i back off the throttal? id rather come up short than over jump again. So when should i let off?

Do you know what gear you were in and what the bike sounded like when you were short?

Do you know what gear you were in and what the bike sounded like when you were long?

Somewhere in between the above. Serious... I find the right gear then listen to the motor, then adjust. Once I've got it, I refine the whole package; well at least I work at refining! :thumbsup:

i get what you are saying. Thanks but how much of a differance does keeping on the throttal make to how far you go?

DO you think ill do fine pinning it and letting off completly or almost a couple feet from the face?

i get what you are saying. Thanks but how much of a differance does keeping on the throttal make to how far you go?

DO you think ill do fine pinning it and letting off completly or almost a couple feet from the face?

You would be much better off to hit the jump at a steady pace. Don't pin it on the face or let off... that can be very dangerous :thumbsup: Maybe you should try some smaller gaps first then work your way up to the bigger ones with experience.

after awile of riding you automatically learn the speed to jump jumps (if you get real good at it you can hit a jump perfect first try) so just practice and it will come..

What helps me alot is the first time i jump something i go right back and jump it again and change my throttle postion to make the jump PERFECT.... if you jump a jump and mess up and don't jump it again for awhile you don't remember how fast you were going when you messed up...

I did the exact same thing awhile back on my 125SX (first ride too) and my track had a 75ft. SX table... i jumped it close to 100ft.

you know what i did after that i turned around and hit again perfect... (although if you mess yourself up real bad you need to take alittle break)

The next time you hit the jump come at it just like you did only when you come up to the jump backoff alttle and then give it gas on the take off (you don't want no throttle on takeoff or you will endo)

What helped me before i got real smooth with throttle, was i would give er hell out of the turn, backoff real quick and then get on it again

Good luck

Yeah...I would probly do both of those things though i am sure that this is your first jump at 70 feet which is a fairly large gap i would just go with the gear and sound of my bike going into the jump..I like too give the throttle a snap right before i take off once in the air play with the throttle and brake you should eye up the landing perfect..

haha if i hadnt of knocked my self out i would have tried it again. The 125s are so light damn they just fly for ever. I clear this one 30 or 40 foot double out of a turn in 2nd on both my bikes the 125 and the 250 and i know the 250s 2nd is almost like the 125s 3rd. Im probely gonna go back this weekend and try it again.

I landed head first after those tires i just got one of those neck things also. My neck was really sore i bet i could have broke it if i hadnt of wore that thing

ohh and its not my first jump at 70 i cleared a 90 or a 100 footer at this other track on my 250. I thaught over jumping it wwould be the least of my problems on a 125 lol

DONT EVER LET OFF THE THROTTLE!!! you may want to not let the bike rev as high when jumping that jump but don't let off or you will most deffinately face plant.

ya dont let off the throttle.. do like 1/2 throttle or 3/4 throttle since full is too much i dont see how u jumped that far in 3rd gear on a 125 but ok

me eather dude, i mean i thaught a 125 wouldnt have enough to do that i thaught 3rd get me maybe 75 feet or so, but i was wrong lol

never underestimate a 125 lol, james stewart was jumping jumps on his kx125 when people on 250s couldnt clear them

oh my 125 does have a boyesen build motor maybe that was part the reason i got so far, the top end is wicked for a 125, its got a TON of overrev

no dont do that. u will endo. keep it steady and just make sure its in the right gear before u hit it. underjump it, then go faster and faster till u make it smooth.

me eather dude, i mean i thaught a 125 wouldnt have enough to do that i thaught 3rd get me maybe 75 feet or so, but i was wrong lol

never underestimate a 125 lol, james stewart was jumping jumps on his kx125 when people on 250s couldnt clear them

oh my 125 does have a boyesen build motor maybe that was part the reason i got so far, the top end is wicked for a 125, its got a TON of overrev

125s are fast bikes. it just takes the right kind of rider who is willing to put in the extra effort to make it go fast. all 125s have a lot of overrev. and i dont think boysen builds motors, but they make reeds.:thumbsup:

Heck when i had my stock 04 KTM 125SX i jumped a 75ft SX table close to 100ft. and never bottomed out the suspension (nevrer bottomed the suspension stock with my 130lbs frame)

i dont actaully rember bottoming out, i forgot some of the stuff when i got knocked out lol

My 125 has a softer resprung and revalved suspension by pro-astion, and im about 160 with gear so if i did bottom out thats why.

The guy said it had a boyesen built motor, its got the reeds, water pump cover, clutch covers ect

its way different on a 250f because i rode my friends 125 before. anyway the jump at my house i can hit it 2nd almost pinned but i do it 3rd maybe 1/2 or 3/4 throttle.

maybe you should do it 4th gear but less throttle just like in whoops when people say click up a gear.

To answer your question about when to slow the speed down I think it depends on what you are doing.....Racing or just out riding. If you are just out riding then take it a bit slower the whole way from the jump or turn before the big one all the way to the face of the jump. If you are racing and are trying to beat someone then stay hard on the gas till you are near the big jump, let off for a little bit to scrub speed, then get back on the throttle all the way up the face and into the air to keep the front end up.

this does not mean that the engine is built by boyesen, most of those mods are just cosmetic and do not inhance the power of your bike enough to clear 95ft. sorry to burst your bubble. maybe you were in 4th and thought you were in 3rd... i too have a 125 and could not even clear a 65ft uphill triple. i had to hit 4th.

I was in 3rd alright and i had it pinned up the whole face of the jump. I didnt seat bounce or anything but i think i may have preloaded the suspension by the position i was in when i jumped (leaning back far). But im not concerned with overjumping it anymore. Im gonna put it in 4th next time i jump it.