Sign in to follow this  

How To Put 17" wheels on an "S" ???

I'm seriously considering putting a set of 17" wheels on my "S". I've searched and spent hours reading threads with tidbits of info. Is there a definitive thread/FAQ on everything it takes to have a spare set of 17" wheels for a DRZ "S"? I'm looking for part numbers, prices, suppliers, how to instructions, everything. If not, there should be. Seems to be a popular question (as is the putting "S" wheels on an SM).

So far I've gleaned that the hubs are the same and there seems to be a recommendation to use the SM speedo drive. Do I simply have to find a spare set of "S" wheels and have 17" rims from Excel or whoever laced up?

What about brakes? I think the above route works fine with the standard "S" brakes.

What about gearing. I'd want an entire, ready to roll wheel for the rear which includes sprocket. 41 tooth provide enough speed with the smaller rear wheel/tire?

Thanks for the link. The part number cross-ref could be handy (bookmarked). Somehow I didn't find that thread in my search.

Just for grins about how much $$ are you talking for the entire setup?

I had White Bros lace up a set of Excel/Talons, Michelin Pilot Roads, Tubes, Stock (used) rotors and 44 tooth sprocket for $1400, All through TTers except for the tires and mounting from local stealer.

Best move I have made with my DRZ. If you found some SM takeoffs you could save a few bucks, just find an S front Rotor. Sometimes you can get takeoffs cheap. TT Classifieds had a set for $650 a year ago and somebody beat me to it, that motivated my quest for the Excels.

With a 150 rear on a 17" wheel the overall circumference/height is not that much diffeent from a 120 Deathwing on a 18" wheel so I kept the 44t sprocket. Could not imagine going to the 41 until I pipe and rejet cuz it would seem like a dog hauling my 375 around.

Swapped the 18/21's back on today with the Scorpion pros for a try. Pretty good off road and the 47T lifts the front end nicely. Gotta say they are downright scary on the road tho. I think the stealer put too much air in them. My gauge seems to be on the fritz too. I will air them down and try again tomorrow.

THe full knobbies really accentuate the fact that the front end needs lubed and tightened.

I am also converting an S into an SM and just for the wheels and tires I have seen an avg of 1400. For wheels, tires, brakes(rotors and relocating bracket for the caliper) I found around alittle over 2000.

I did the SM wheels form East Coast Wheels..Got black Excel rims, gold Talon hubs, Avon Distanzia SM tires mounted,heavy duty tubes and a SM front fender. I got a new rear disk. The cost shipped was 1,500..I use the stock front rotor and I had a 44 tooth rear sprocket. I dont race the bike..the front brakes work fine. Took about 1 month from order date to my door. As soon as I free up some $$$ I'm going to get another OEM front disk.Then it will be a breeze to swap wheel sets. I also found an SM speedo drive for around 45 bucks.

untitled13-471ez8xbn.jpg

Great info so far. I figured it'd be in the $1000 - $1500 range. Seems like a great option to extend the usefulness of my DRZ. I'm not really into high speed stuff on my sportbike and enjoy twisty narrow back roads more than high speed sweepers.

Plus, our local racetrack (BeaveRun, north of Pittsburgh), also has a kart track that they race karts, mini-bikes and motards on. Practice days only cost $22 (one 20 minute session per hour from 1pm - 8pm). That's a hell of a lot cheaper than $150-$175/day for the road course and a big incentive for adding the SM wheel option to my S.

Plus, our local racetrack (BeaveRun, north of Pittsburgh), also has a kart track that they race karts, mini-bikes and motards on. Practice days only cost $22 (one 20 minute session per hour from 1pm - 8pm). That's a hell of a lot cheaper than $150-$175/day for the road course and a big incentive for adding the SM wheel option to my S.

Gary,

Do they offer training classes at Beaver run?

Thanks

Dan

I didnt get SM stuff for high speed either. Although they are a lot more stable at high speed.

They even make low speed fun - 45 through vacant subdivisions feels like 80!

Gary,

Do they offer training classes at Beaver run?

I haven't heard of any instructional type track days for motard riding. The road race course is rented out by a variety of track day orgs. Sportbike Track Time, Team Pro Motion and NESBA regularly run track days on the big circuit ($150 - $175 per day). STT and TPM offer instructional track days. NESBA is more of an open track day with tips from control riders. There are plenty of guys that run on the big course with motards, but speeds are well over 100 MPH on the front and back straights on a sportbike, so you're moving slower than traffic there. But then you get to pass them all back again in the corners :thumbsup:

Gary,

Thanks for the info. As soon as the City refunds my tax (Could be some time. I do not live in the city) you might see me out there getting lapped. I have been wanting to get out to beaver run. Now i have an excuse.

Dan

Gary,

Thanks for the info. As soon as the City refunds my tax (Could be some time. I do not live in the city) you might see me out there getting lapped. I have been wanting to get out to beaver run. Now i have an excuse.

Dan

If you go to the Kart Schedule part of the BeaveRun web site (www.BeaveRun.com), you can see when they offer the Kart Practice days ($22 each). Sessions alternate between Karts, Minis, and Motards as I understand it. That sounds like too much fun to pass up. I might even try it with the most street-oriented tires I can find for my "S" wheels. Already have the leathers, etc from regular track days.

sorry i'm a noob, but hooligans?

sorry i'm a noob, but hooligans?

Like what I have in my picture above. The front wheel is a 3" off a GS500, the rear is a 3.5" from the same.

I did find out that a Bandit wheel fits with no maching required for the wheel (just used the pieces from the GS wheel and made some new spacers. Now I have a 4" wheel on the back with a 150/70 instead of a 130/70.