kick starter folding out.

Hi, i recently bought a 2001 yz250f. I love this bike its 100 times better then the xr200 i had previously. anyway i finally got the hang of kick starting the bike and can usually get it to turn on in 2-3 kicks. The problem with my kick starter is that when i make a hard right turn the kick starter folds out. with the xr the kick starter seemed to have some tension on it keeping it from unfolding and staying tucked up against the motor. is there anything i can do to stop this from happening, i didn't know if the screw on the lever just holds it onto the starter shaft or if tightening it up will stop it from swinging out so easily.

thanks

Hi, i recently bought a 2001 yz250f. I love this bike its 100 times better then the xr200 i had previously. anyway i finally got the hang of kick starting the bike and can usually get it to turn on in 2-3 kicks. The problem with my kick starter is that when i make a hard right turn the kick starter folds out. with the xr the kick starter seemed to have some tension on it keeping it from unfolding and staying tucked up against the motor. is there anything i can do to stop this from happening, i didn't know if the screw on the lever just holds it onto the starter shaft or if tightening it up will stop it from swinging out so easily.

thanks

Yes this is something that's easily fixable. There is a spring & ball detent system on the kickstart lever like is on all other dirtbikes. It sounds to me that maybe either the spring is just worn out, or maybe someone took it apart to grease it & forgot to put everything back in there. You can get parts for it from your local Yamaha shop. Or you could try looking at Bikebandit.com. You could also try getting another lever assy off ebay too.

Good Luck!!!!

I had the same problem with my yz after I bought it. I used the spring off a pen and a tiny ball bearing off something. It was kind of ghetto but it worked.

I wrapped a piece of electical on the shaft and put the kick starter back on for a quick fix.

I wrapped a piece of electical on the shaft and put the kick starter back on for a quick fix.

uh huh...&%$#@! i dont ge tit?

where is this spring located? I have this problem to. should I remove the kickstarter?

where is this spring located? I have this problem to. should I remove the kickstarter?

You have to take the kickstart lever off the knuckle (part that attaches to the kickstart shaft sticking out the side of the clutch cover). Once you start to remove it, a small ball bearing (only one ball) should come out, followed by a spring (like in a ball point pen).