Sign in to follow this  

Changing jets was easy (lying).........

Just did the re-jet for my '06-S.

- had to remove the exhaust to be able to rotate the carb enough

- had to easy out (2) float bowl screws

- lost the little o-ring at the top of the carb (substituted an o-ring from Lowes)

- didn't plug the vaccum hose in and pulled my hair out for 15 minutes (erratic running)

All that took 2.5 hours.

- Opened up the top of the air box to 3.25 x 4.25

- cut out pipe restrictor

- JD jet kit (160/25/red neddle on 4th clip)

The thing is, I now have a louder decel pop, and a irregular hanging idle.

- I will check the throttle cable angle tube, but I think it's the Lowe's o-ring that is doing it: it was just slightly to large in diameter to fit in the recess. There is an audible pppffftt-ppppfftt in time with the motor, but I can't tell where it is coming from and am assuming it is the oring.

The bike is obvioulsy faster, and has better throttle response, and has a much louder intake honk.

Cool!

Should have taken the carb out instead of pulling the exhaust. That way you get it on a nice clean work bench and aren't likely to loose parts. That and it takes less time. About an hour out and back in on my first attempt, not including the break in the middle to grill up a couple of steaks. Twenty minutes total the second time to try some different settings. Realy, it isn't as hard as it sounds to pull the carb.

Krannie, you did it the hard way. :thumbsup:

Tape the airbox hole down to 3 inches by 3 inches exactly and try it. Your jetting presumes 9 square inches so this might be all it needs?

yep pull carb 40 mins frsit time now i can get it out and back in in about 20 mins with a bit of time to stuff around and fix whatever and have a beer :thumbsup:

Tape the airbox hole down to 3 inches by 3 inches exactly and try it. Your jetting presumes 9 square inches so this might be all it needs?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted:

I echo this comment. Probably should do it before going any further.

CC

There is an audible pppffftt-ppppfftt in time with the motor, but I can't tell where it is coming from and am assuming it is the oring.

Probably the sound of air going into your airbox. It makes a much nicer sound than stock when the hole is at 3x3.