Dumb Questions (Part 2). License Required? Bikes They Use For Those Big Jumps?

1st Question:

I was just on a dealer's website and it stated that you had to have a motorcycle license to ride in Georgia. Now I assume they only meant for street riding, but there was nothing to indicate that off-road and trails were excluded.

I went to the Georgia DMV and found this:

Georgia residents must be at least 16 years old to apply for a Class M motorcycle license with the Department of Driver Services. All motor-driven vehicles (excluding tractors and mopeds) that are designed to operate on three wheels or less are considered motorcycles. Mopeds have a separate set of rules, specified below. Instruction permits are valid for six months, and you need only pass the written portion of the test to get one. This $10 permit is not required before obtaining the Class M license, when the driving test will be given. These instructional permits carry the following restrictions:

* Minimum age of 16, and parental consent if under 18

* Daylight driving hours only

* No passengers

* No limited-access highways

* Must use safety equipment required by law

Do you really need a license for off-road riding? It does not exactly specify, but it does not say you do not either. I am hoping to buy a bike soon, but worry about this now.

2nd Question:

What size bikes do those guys ride that do those incredible jumps where they fly through the air and do tricks off the bike, then land back on the bike (big air jumping??)? There is no way I will ever do that, but I have wondered about that. I assume they need a big bike to get that high, but would the weight of a bigger bike ever be a problem?

Ok Count Chocula, here's an avatar for ya: count%20chocula%20head.gif

I think they're talking about the street.

1st Question:

I was just on a dealer's website and it stated that you had to have a motorcycle license to ride in Georgia. Now I assume they only meant for street riding, but there was nothing to indicate that off-road and trails were excluded.

I went to the Georgia DMV and found this:

Georgia residents must be at least 16 years old to apply for a Class M motorcycle license with the Department of Driver Services. All motor-driven vehicles (excluding tractors and mopeds) that are designed to operate on three wheels or less are considered motorcycles. Mopeds have a separate set of rules, specified below. Instruction permits are valid for six months, and you need only pass the written portion of the test to get one. This $10 permit is not required before obtaining the Class M license, when the driving test will be given. These instructional permits carry the following restrictions:

* Minimum age of 16, and parental consent if under 18

* Daylight driving hours only

* No passengers

* No limited-access highways

* Must use safety equipment required by law

Do you really need a license for off-road riding? It does not exactly specify, but it does not say you do not either. I am hoping to buy a bike soon, but worry about this now.

2nd Question:

What size bikes do those guys ride that do those incredible jumps where they fly through the air and do tricks off the bike, then land back on the bike (big air jumping??)? There is no way I will ever do that, but I have wondered about that. I assume they need a big bike to get that high, but would the weight of a bigger bike ever be a problem?

answer 1: no license required for off road. it only applies to road/dual sports.

answer2: i think they are 250 2 strokes. if you have never ridden before then look at 125cc bikes.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure who that cartoon is, but this is the real Count Chocula:

th_94089_DSC00612_122_166lo.JPE

I may go get my temp motorcycle license until I can get a permanent one. I have bad luck, and would probably get busted with no license or something.

Are you riding on the street?? or are you just doing trails/motocross?

Are you riding on the street?? or are you just doing trails/motocross?

Just trail riding/motocross.

DOwn the road, I may get an enduro, but not now.

Hey, I told you guys it was a dumb question. I thought I would be better safe than sorry.

Thanks again everybody.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure who that cartoon is, but this is the real Count Chocula:

Not a book - cereal.

Not a book - cereal.

I know, I was just joking. When I got my chocolate lab, all I could think to name him was Count Chocula. Funny thing is that I never liked that cereal.

Kind of reminds me of a dog I had a number of years ago, "Chip" ~ the chocolate lab. And he hated my dirt bike... I still have dirt bikes, but I don't have Chip.