Why no Dual Sport kits for KX, YZ or RM?

I been looking into a couple different options in addition to a XR 650. Was thinking one of the pure motocross bikes such as a YZ, RM or KX. I started looking into dual sport kits for them and cant seem to find any. All of the kit I can find are gear towards the bikes that already have headlights and tail lights like the KLK, WR and DR's. Was wondering what the reason was for this. I live in Ohio and have been told that all you nneed to switch a title to onroad is to have a headlight, brakelight and brake light switch. I jsut thought it would be cool to have one of these super lightweight bikes for the street. Any thoughts into this problem or have an idea of what I can do for lighting. THanks in advance for the help.

I been looking into a couple different options in addition to a XR 650. Was thinking one of the pure motocross bikes such as a YZ, RM or KX. I started looking into dual sport kits for them and cant seem to find any. All of the kit I can find are gear towards the bikes that already have headlights and tail lights like the KLK, WR and DR's. Was wondering what the reason was for this. I live in Ohio and have been told that all you nneed to switch a title to onroad is to have a headlight, brakelight and brake light switch. I jsut thought it would be cool to have one of these super lightweight bikes for the street. Any thoughts into this problem or have an idea of what I can do for lighting. THanks in advance for the help.

There are reasons why the YZ and the WR (and other configs) are both made: one is for riding very fast for short periods of time, with low top speeds, and no very low speeds. This kind of bike is poorly suited to conversion to Street use. Gear ratios, cooling system, Powerband, drivetrain, magneto coil, suspension stiffness, etc, etc. You can convert one in some states, and it would be fun for a little while, but it is fatiquing to ride one, and it doesn't do many things very well.

There are reasons why the YZ and the WR (and other configs) are both made: one is for riding very fast for short periods of time, with low top speeds, and no very low speeds. This kind of bike is poorly suited to conversion to Street use. Gear ratios, cooling system, Powerband, drivetrain, magneto coil, suspension stiffness, etc, etc. You can convert one in some states, and it would be fun for a little while, but it is fatiquing to ride one, and it doesn't do many things very well.

Krannie is generally right on except that the WR is not the same bike as the YZ. I know folks with WRs that have been converted to dual sport. He's right about the motocross models not being well suited for conversion. You'd be better off on the street with the Husky, KTM, (already street legal), or with "legalizing" a CRX, KLX, or WR. These bikes usually have the wider gear ratios and/or more gears, larger fuel tanks, larger radiators, more durable engines, than their motocross version. One of your challenges in "legalizing" the non-Euro bikes will be getting a title that your DMV to accept. Many of the non-euro titles will show something like "not approved for highway use" or "off highway use only".

Krannie is generally right on except that the WR is not the same bike as the YZ. I know folks with WRs that have been converted to dual sport. He's right about the motocross models not being well suited for conversion. You'd be better off on the street with the Husky, KTM, (already street legal), or with "legalizing" a CRX, KLX, or WR. These bikes usually have the wider gear ratios and/or more gears, larger fuel tanks, larger radiators, more durable engines, than their motocross version. One of your challenges in "legalizing" the non-Euro bikes will be getting a title that your DMV to accept. Many of the non-euro titles will show something like "not approved for highway use" or "off highway use only".

Ooops, yeah I meant YZ and CR..........

Can you guys tell me why the WR 450 for example weighs 30-40 lbs more than the YZ 450. Motors are the same and it seems like there isnt that much weight worth of stuff on it. Any insight woudl be great. Thanks for the help so far.

Can you guys tell me why the WR 450 for example weighs 30-40 lbs more than the YZ 450. Motors are the same and it seems like there isnt that much weight worth of stuff on it. Any insight woudl be great. Thanks for the help so far.

WR 450 has an electric starter, battery, stator, voltage regulator, head light, tail light, etc.

...and thicker gears, clutch plates, clutch basket, tires, tubes, axles, subframe, seat base, tank, airbox, internal reciprocating mass, etc, etc. The WR is 'based' on a YZ, using several parts, but not as many as you would think.