Sign in to follow this  

Flag Holder?

Hey guys im looking to buy a flag holder.

I'm not looking for something that mounts on the swingarm though.

I have found these two, which would you pick?

Or make other suggestions please.

Thank you!

http://www.flickwhip.com

http://www. hinesracingf .com/flag_mounts.asp

ps. please copy and paste the second link

i just went through the same thing. i ended up getting one like the flick whip. i wish i would have went with the hines racing one. i like the fact the flag is back futher. the only reason i went with the other one, it was at my local dealer and didnt have to order it.btw, the number at flick whip is now some kids cell phone and no return on the email.

I use the HRF mounts and they are perfect. I have been using it for 2 years at the oregon dunes and never had a single problem. I broke a couple flags on some hard falls, but it was easily fixed.

The only bad thing is it wears a spot on your rear fender where the metal touches the plastic. It doesnt hurt the plastic, but it does make a black spot on your stickers.

They give you small little black sticky pads to help prevent that, but they dont work.

Other than that I rate them an A+ product for the dunes. The black spot is very small and doesnt look any worse than any normal wear on your bike.

I like the Hines mount that uses the silencer mounts, although I'm concerned about them being strong enough to hold a flag and not bend the rear sub.

The Flick Whip looks like it'll eventually take out the rear fender.

My rear wheel bolt on has never had a problem with taking out flags or getting in the way.

Test_Hill.JPG

Thanks for the replies guys!

So it seems that the Hines mount is pretty good.

But now that I think about its pretty expensive for what it is. $40 shipped!

So I have been told that if i mount the flag on the axle, the flag will just snap because it takes the same beating as the end of the axle. But for some reason I have a hole drilled on the side of my rear fender. And I saw in a pic that if I losely ziptie the flag to the hole, then the flag cant whip so much. I'll have to try that out.

I have been using the flickwhip mount for years and never had a problem with it. The rear fender has always stayed intact. The only problem is you have to drill a hole in the fender.

I like the idea of the Hines mount but it does not securely attach. It will actually pivot at the seat bolts. The hooks beneath the fenders prevents it from pivoting too far but it moves nonetheless.

I've never had any problem with the axle mount holder, other than it has a tendency to rub against the exhaust canister, right on the nameplate. You have to take the axle all the way out to mount it on the opposite side on most bikes.

i had 4 flags break within and hour at the dunes using the axle mount... so i got the one from hines and it works great!!! plus i wrapped the rod with electrical tape twice also...

does it have to be mounted to the bike, or could you like duct tape it to the back of your chest protector?

ive never ridden dunes so idk the law

I zip-tie mine to my chest protector. I'm not sure of the wisdom of this but it works well for me. AFAIK, there are regs about how high the flag must be and then the actual size/color of the flag itself. I'm not aware of any regs that preclude mounting it to your body. Mostly, unless your flag is ridiculously short or something you won't get hassled unless you're giving off a reason to get hassled.

Around here (St. Anthony Dunes) it has to be on the bike. I bought a Hines mount and that combined with the "Advanced Engineering Quick Release Flag Pole Holder" at Rocky Mountain MC makes for a sweet setup at the sandbox.

Around here (St. Anthony Dunes) it has to be on the bike. I bought a Hines mount and that combined with this (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do) makes for a sweet setup at the sandbox.

I just looked em up and it's the same in the ISDRA.

All vehicles shall be equipped with an 8 foot whip mast and a 6x12 inch red or orange flag. Masts must be securely mounted on the vehicle and extend 8 feet from the ground to the mast tip.

Nonetheless, I've never been given a second look by the law. :thumbsup:

100_4114Medium.jpg?t=1183667978

The trick to axle mounts is to drill a small hole in the rear of your sidepanel and a large ziptie to keep the whip from going back. Once it goes back your SOL.. if you use the zip tie to keep it from going behind the rear fender you will keep it for a long time. I have used this method quite a bit and have only lost one whip in 2 seasons :thumbsup:

The trick to axle mounts is to drill a small hole in the rear of your sidepanel and a large ziptie to keep the whip from going back. Once it goes back your SOL.. if you use the zip tie to keep it from going behind the rear fender you will keep it for a long time. I have used this method quite a bit and have only lost one whip in 2 seasons :thumbsup:

yah thats exactly what I was thinking of doing, since its the cheaper way out :thumbsup: