need advice - 5 miles of gravel road

I have been commuting to work on my xt 225. I would like to get a different bike as I am not feeling comfortable with traffic. Let me explain, I have geared it down to take in the mts. so I feel like I can only go 40 mph, top speed before it starts to vibrate. I have changed the tires to knobbies for the dirt. My ??? is which other bike would work for me. I have thot about a small cruiser type but I do have the 5 miles of gravel road each way to work, plus, when I do get to the pavement the speed limit is 50mph . I've considered the BMW 650, and thot about the V-Storm

650. I have rode dirt bike for over 5 years out in the mts on some singletrack and alot of 2 track roads. I do ride most every wknd so the 5 years has been quite abit of riding. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanx

look i would reccomend that you trade up to a suzuki dr-z400. from the factory the top speed is 110 it cruises on the freeway well. it is better suited for the dirt by a long shot and i have mine geared down further than most would dare, and i still can do 80 mph. here is a thread that compares the xt225 and the dr-z 400s http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526299

i own a drz400s, best bike ive ever bought +1:ride: seems perfect for your situation

well the 400 sounds good but I think it'll be a little tall for me. I was trying to find something with only a 32" seat. The xt was perfect for height. And how is the seat for longer rides?

the seat on my dr-z 400 is more comfortable for long term than that of my suzuki sv-650. and the tall seat height is asy to get used to i only have a 32" inseam and the 400 has like a 36" seat or something

Mentioning 650 cc bikes and seat height, the new (2008) Kawasaki KLR650 has a lower seat than its 20 + years of predecessors; men say improved road manners and suspension, also.

A heavy beast, not as trail-worthy as what you're riding, but . . . bet you can hang with the "Biker Boyz" on the road more easilly with the new KLR650!

Otherwise, the DRZ400, as suggested above, sounds like a good choice, if you can accommodate the saddle height.

I have been commuting to work on my xt 225. I would like to get a different bike as I am not feeling comfortable with traffic. Let me explain, I have geared it down to take in the mts. so I feel like I can only go 40 mph, top speed before it starts to vibrate. I have changed the tires to knobbies for the dirt. My ??? is which other bike would work for me. I have thot about a small cruiser type but I do have the 5 miles of gravel road each way to work, plus, when I do get to the pavement the speed limit is 50mph . I've considered the BMW 650, and thot about the V-Storm

650. I have rode dirt bike for over 5 years out in the mts on some singletrack and alot of 2 track roads. I do ride most every wknd so the 5 years has been quite abit of riding. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanx

I would suggest you look into the DRZ 400S for your needs. Forget about the bike being to tall there are ways around that if you must do so...being to tall is only a small issue at stop lights and such.

I have a 31" inseam and the DRZ fits me better than most dirt bikes do. The XT225 also fit me perfect, but the motor is just "not there" on it. Another bike that felt even better was the DR650. It's not got the suspension of the DRZ400S, so it's a little lower slung. Felt great, but it was much heavier at slow speeds. The DL650 is even heavier, but would be just super on the roads. I had an SV650, and it was the perfect motorcycle for tight backroad work. If you were to narrow it down to 1 bike, sounds like the DRZ400S or the DR650 would be good choices.:thumbsup:

If you can find one, a DR350S makes a really good DS bike. I ride my '92 to work and it'll cruise at 50-55 nicely and go faster if needed. It is shorter than a DRZ and has a 6 speed transmission. I think that starting in 1993 they came with an electric start. Mine has about 10,000 miles on it and it stills runs good. The DRZ 'replaced' the DRs and unfortunately, they are getting harder to find. Good luck..

Get a DRZ400S and then get an aftermarket seat such as the Suzuki gel one....it's smaller (thinner) than the stock seat.

Both the Suzuki 400 and 650 have adjustable seat heights so not sure why that would be an issue. I have the 650 BTW and am now adjusted to the bike and love it.

I have been commuting to work on my xt 225. I would like to get a different bike as I am not feeling comfortable with traffic. Let me explain, I have geared it down to take in the mts.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you geared down an xt225? stock the gearing is pretty ridiculously low in my opinion. i learned to ride on one, and i never found a hill where i needed a lower gear, and it would easily run at 60mph. even so, it's kinda tiresome for a long commute. i like the drz400 or dr650 for any riding that includes dirt roads. the v-strom is a nice bike, but it's a big, tall, top-heavy mofo too. it wouldn't be my first choice unless you have long legs and reasonable strength.

I have a DRZ and a 29" inseam.

I bought the gel seat and it almost crippled me, so I removed the gel insert and re-shaped the seat and it is now low enough to comute and back road.

The bike has enough power and is physically smaller than most 650's.

Here's the gel insert.

IMG_2592.jpg

Here's the re-shaped seat (still a work in progress)

IMG_2594.jpg

Here's a typical gravel road in my area.

IMG_2565.jpg

Here's some typical dual sporting that I do.

IMG_2582.jpg